Dolphin 5 not fully working with Samba shares [Resolved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Dolphin 5 not fully working with Samba shares [Resolved] Reply with quote

I cannot get Samba shares working fully in Plasma 5 with Dolphin 5. I don't have this problem in KDE 4. Does anyone have Samba shares working perfectly with Dolphin 5 in a Gentoo installation connected to a typical home Windows workgroup, i.e. NetBIOS over TCP/IP only (no WINS, no Active Directory, no LDAP, no Kerberos)?

Samba 4.2.9 is installed on both my Gentoo laptops: Clevo W230SS laptop (amd64, KDE 4.14.3-r1, NetBIOS name 'clevow230ss'); Compal NBLB2 laptop (~amd64, Plasma 5, Dolphin 15.12.3, NetBIOS name 'meshedgedx'). I have configured smb.conf on both laptops identically, with the obvious exceptions of NetBIOS names, interface names and local master os levels. The directory structure and directory names are identical on both machines. The Compal laptop correctly becomes the Master Browser in accordance with the os levels I specified in the smb.conf files. The 'Share' tab in Dolphin 5 states that Samba is not installed on the Compal, yet Samba works correctly on the command line: 'smbtree', 'nmblookup <NetBIOS name>' and 'nmblookup -A <IP address>' all work as expected.

Consider the follwing operations in Dolphin on each laptop:

1. No problem:
On the Clevo, I can copy or move a file myfile1.txt to clevow230ss:/home/fitzcarraldo/Public/
On the Compal, I can browse myfile1.txt in meshedgedx:smb://clevow230ss/Public/

2. No problem:
On the Compal, I can copy or move a file myfile2.txt to meshedgedx:/home/fitzcarraldo/Public/
On the Clevo, I can browse myfile2.txt in clevow230ss:smb://meshedgedx/Public/

3. No problem:
On the Clevo, I can delete a file myfile3.txt in clevow230ss:smb://meshedgedx/Public/
On the Compal, the file myfile3.txt is deleted from meshedgedx:/home/fitzcarraldo/Public/

4. Problem:
On the Compal, I cannot delete a file myfile4.txt in meshedgedx:smb://clevow230ss/Public/
When I try this, the Dolphin 5 window on the Compal displays the message: 'Access denied to smb://clevow230ss/Public/myfile4.txt'.

5. No problem:
On the Clevo, I can copy or move a file myfile5.txt to clevow230ss:smb://meshedgedx/Public/
On the Compal, I can browse myfile5.txt in meshedgedx:/home/fitzcarraldo/Public/
On the Compal, I can delete myfile5.txt in meshedgedx:/home/fitzcarraldo/Public/

6. Problem:
On the Compal, I cannot copy or move a file myfile6.txt to meshedgedx:smb://clevow230ss/Public/
When I try this, a pop-up window on the Compal displays the message: 'Access denied. Could not write to smb://clevo230ss/Public/myfile6.txt.part'.

All of the above behaviour is the same with or without the firewalls enabled on each laptop. It is not a firewall problem; it appears to be some sort of permissions problem. Both smb.conf files have the guest share configured with 'browseable = yes', 'writeable = yes', 'guest ok = yes', yadda yadda yadda. As you can see above, the KDE 4 laptop can perform all operations but the Plasma 5/Dolphin 5 laptop cannot (see 4 and 6).

Unfortunately I am not at home for the next 3 weeks and only have my Clevo laptop with me, so I cannot post further information from the Compal laptop or try any suggestions until I am back at home, but I would be interested to know if any Gentoo users can perform all the above-mentioned Samba share operations in Dolphin 5 on a machine running Plasma 5 connected to a standard Windows workgroup network using NBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP) only, either with a Windows machine on the network acting as the Master Browser or with a Linux machine on the network acting as the Master Browser.

EDIT (October 22, 2016): I decided to check this again today. I currently have Plasma 5.8.2, Dolphin 16.08.2 and Kio 5.27.0 installed on the Compal NBLB2 laptop (~amd64); Plasma 5.7.5, Dolphin 16.04.3 and Kio 5.26.0-r2 installed on the Clevo W230SS laptop (amd64). The six operations described above now work fine, so it appears that the bug (in Dolphin? in Kio? in Plasma 5?) has been fixed.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: