Hello Gentoo - A Happy Newbie
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crayztechnique
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Hello Gentoo - A Happy Newbie Reply with quote

I just wanted to say hi everybody! Didn't really know where to post such a thing. Anyways I am really enjoying Gentoo. I've gone through the installation 3 times now. I feel like the scientist who gave life to frankenstien each time it boots (it's alive it's alive!). I'm on the fourth now becuase I had to know what Arch was all about. I'm fairly new to Linux in general. I have been using Windows since 3.1.1 which is sad but true. I think Gentoo is going to be my new OS home though now. I've got this Lenovo G530 that needs fresh life. I'm glad to be here and I look forward learning. Thank you in advance for any help.

:D :D :D
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome crayztechnique!

I remember the same feeling when I started using Gentoo in 2004. I'm happy for you. :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayztechnique,

Welcome to Gentoo.

There is usually no need to reinstall when you change a setting, emerge will take care of it for you.
There are a few exceptions but they are fairly rare.
Reinstalling is a bad habit you have picked up from other (binary) operating systems.
As Gentoo is source based, reinstalling robs you of a learning opportunity and allows you to make a different mistake.

Think of Gentoo as a set of tools that you use to design and install your own operating system.
Its quite in order to change the design as you learn what you want without throwing it all away and starting again.

The hard bit for newcomers is knowing what you want.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo :-)

You're right: it's alive! :P

You might like these tips collected over the years; I recommend reading "the basics" at least.
crayztechnique
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate those links steveL I've already skimmed over them I'll be favoriting them for sure. NeddySeagoon your right, Windows was built to be reinstalled it seems like that's one of the reasons I like it here. Won't be reinstalling anymore, just learning my system and getting it to what I want. Anyways while I'm saying hello I was just wondering if there is anyone willing to mentor me along the way?? It would be great to have a go to and some guidance with so many options.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayztechnique,

Post here, you will find different people know different things, so mentoring doesn't work very well because Gentoo is such a broad topic.
We will teach you to fish, not feed you, so you will have to work too.
When you are referred to the friendly manual, it will usually be with a pointer to the part you need to consult.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayztechnique wrote:
Anyways while I'm saying hello I was just wondering if there is anyone willing to mentor me along the way?? It would be great to have a go to and some guidance with so many options.

crayztechnique ... to add to NeddySeagoon's comment above ... we are not organised as a school, its much more like a support group where everyone attempts to contribute in some way or other (even if only in providing the right information so that someone might recognise the issue). Think of the forum as a resource that you use, and by using *well* you are providing information that others might at some point refer to when they encounter the same issue. The forum acts as a repository ... not simply for answers, but for the right questions. We all get busy, but by having everyone at your disposal (including the entire history of posts/posters made available via 'search') you are actually able to tap into more knowledge than if one specific person were occupying a mentor role, and by acting as a team we are able to play tag, I may only have a few minutes to answer before rushing out the door, and someone else can pick up where I left off. Also, as Neddy said, we each might have differing areas of expertise, so whereas I might take a guess, someone else may recognise the issue for what it is. You also have to consider that what we are doing here is much more about filling in the gaps in the documentation, and/or the general day to day bumps that occur as a result of our using the same code ... so while knowledge helps, it doesn't cover everything (which ties back in with what was said above re asking the right questions).

Most likely the thought of a mentor is really about having this experience channelled through someone, in a way you're getting that, but it involves a lot more people, but that is true of your actual life.

So, welcome to gentoo & best ... khay
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What others said about mentors is true: there are no gurus, only influences that you choose for yourself, and usually grow past needing. Keep in mind that they are only people, and don't need the ego-massage of knowing they're an influence: or they're not a good influence. (Hero-worship always ends in disillusionment. Not saying this applies to you: it's just general advice, based on experience.)

With that in mind, don't forget IRC: chat.freenode.net or .org #gentoo for support and: #gentoo-chat for off-topic witter, with the same standard of moderation as the forums (not OTW.)

Bear in mind that there is a much wider world exposed to you on freenode; #bash is essential, ime, and will teach you an awful lot about the UNIX userland.

#friendly-coders if you're finding IRC a bit overwhelming, or running into someone who is a pain.
#coding-n00bs if you are really new, and want to witter off-topic as well.

/topic #friendly-coders links to many other coding channels, and is how you find out a bit about a channel before entering with eg: /join #gentoo
crayztechnique
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all making good sense to me. I'll keep this in mind and thanks for the chat resources.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: