Upgrade to Samba 4 results in PAM error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to Samba 4 results in PAM error Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is that after the upgrade /etc/pam.d/samba was missing. Because of lacking time I reverted to 3.6.25, but are there special instructions for upgrading to Samba 4? Should I save/restore /etc/pam.d/samba, make changes to some other PAM file, or is it better to compile Samba with USE="-pam"?
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Samba 4 results in PAM error Reply with quote

gordonb3 wrote:
One thing I noticed is that after the upgrade /etc/pam.d/samba was missing. Because of lacking time I reverted to 3.6.25, but are there special instructions for upgrading to Samba 4? Should I save/restore /etc/pam.d/samba, make changes to some other PAM file, or is it better to compile Samba with USE="-pam"?

Check in /var/log/auth (you may have to turn up the debug options for PAM) to see which PAM file the new Samba uses when you connect. It *may* no longer be /etc/pam.d/samba but system-auth instead. You could also try turning up the logging in Samba instead - check the Samba docs related to logging: you can enable debug or tracing for individual subsystems like auth but keep the rest at info so you don't get swamped.

Cheers
Jon
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what changed but I had this in my smb.conf:
Code:
obey pam restrictions = Yes

After disabling that line I was able to log on again. I guess it means I no longer reference PAM, but I'm quite okay with that for this machine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: