Cleaning up lingering binutils-libs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janos666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Cleaning up lingering binutils-libs Reply with quote

EDIT: Solved!

According to emerge, I don't have binutils-libs installed (I guess it was automatically pulled in as a dependency (or installed by mistake?) at some point but it no longer seems to be needed):
Code:
emerge --search binutils
*  sys-devel/binutils
      Latest version installed: 2.25.1-r1
*  sys-libs/binutils-libs
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]

And I always get this error after world updates:
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: sys-libs/binutils-libs-2.25.1-r2
 *  - /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so
 *      used by /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.25.1/libopcodes-2.25.1.so (sys-devel/binutils-2.25.1-r1)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

I already ran the emerge @preserved-rebuild command several times (it always rebuilds binutils without errors but yet again warns me to run emerge @preserved-rebuild -> Funny, huh?) and even tried to run emerge -e @world but it didn't help with the binutils-libs problem.

I usually update the system with the following commands:
Code:
emerge --sync && emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --complete-graph --changed-use --keep-going @world && emerge --depclean && revdep-rebuild && perl-cleaner --all && python-updater && env-update && eclean-dist --destructive && source /etc/profile && etc-update

I am a little afraid of trying to solve this problem manually since binutils is an essential package, so some help about how to solve this properly would be appreciated. :)

Last edited by janos666 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up lingering binutils-libs Reply with quote

janos666 wrote:
I am a little afraid of trying to solve this problem manually since binutils is an essential package, so some help about how to solve this properly would be appreciated. :)

janos666 ... you should be able to move /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so to one side and re-emerge binutils ... libopcodes-2.25.1.so should still find /usr/lib/binutils/*/2.25.1/libbfd-2.25.1.so. On the chance it doesn't you could replace the currently installed package with a binpkg and then re-merge (again, making sure /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so isn't there).

I don't know the ins-and-outs of sys-libs/binutils-libs but binutils linking to the binutils-libs libopcodes rather than the binutils provided version would seem to be a bug.

best ... khay
janos666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. It seems like merely the manual removal of /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so solved the problem entirely:
Code:
~ # mv /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so.bak
~ # emerge @preserved-rebuild

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

I guess the file was left there by mistake when binutils-libs got unmerged during a --depclean. I reemerged binutils manually to make sure it can be compiled and then I removed the file permanently.
It was a lot easier than I expected.
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: sys-libs/binutils-libs-2.27
 *  - /usr/lib64/libbfd-2.25.1.so
 *      used by /usr/lib64/binutils/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/2.25.1/libopcodes-2.25.1.so (sys-devel/binutils-2.25.1-r1)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

Got same problem again, run "emerge --depclean" first to fix.
Philippe23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.Kosunen's solution above worked for me and didn't require deleting files behind portage's back. ;-) Running emerge --depclean made emerge @preserved-rebuild decide there was nothing to do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: