Updating to Plasma 5.6 results in black screen with mouse
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Updating to Plasma 5.6 results in black screen with mouse Reply with quote

I decided it was finally time to update from KDE 4 to a new version and now I'm stuck with an unworkable system.

I followed the KDE/Plasma 5 update wiki. There was a little hiccup that the clean up @ world step only removed one package. When I went to emerge plasma-meta and then kde-apps-meta this resulted in a million blockers. I ended up simply removing the blocking packages during both emerges.

After emerging and depcleaning and getting sddm configured, I now have a machine that appears to be in a sane state.

However, when I attempt to log into the kde, I get a black screen with a mouse cursor. There's a desktop behind the black, sometimes when I click, the screen flashes for a second and I can see things like the KDE menu. If, by some chance, I manage to click something that brings up an interface box, the whole interface shows up until I click ok, and then it's back to black. Similarly, if I let the machine sit for a few minutes, the screen locker comes on and I can see the KDE background. If I type my password in though, it goes back to a black screen.

The only thing that I've found looking through logs is this
Code:
sddm-helper[3685]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_systemd.so): /lib64/security/pam_systemd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm not using systemd, so that file isn't there and I have no idea why sddm-helper is looking for it.

Any assistance to get the desktop to show up would be very appreciated. I'd like to go back to having a working machine!

Thanks
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Updating to Plasma 5.6 results in black screen with mous Reply with quote

The sddm-helper message is not relevant.

npaust wrote:
I followed the KDE/Plasma 5 update wiki. There was a little hiccup that the clean up @ world step only removed one package. When I went to emerge plasma-meta and then kde-apps-meta this resulted in a million blockers. I ended up simply removing the blocking packages during both emerges.

Any chance you still got a list of those?

We need some more information here. Please post emerge --info at least.
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have a list of the blockers.

Also unfortunately, I've abandoned the experiment for the moment. I was trying to update my work research computer, which I actually need for work. I figured that I'd put a day of work into the upgrade. However, when the display just flat-out wasn't working, I downgraded back to KDE 4. Luckily, the computer is a 6-core Xeon, so all the recompiles didn't take too long.

If the rest of the forum messages are to be believed, there are some serious problems with the combination of KDE Plasma + Nvidia Drivers + Gentoo. I'm going to give everything six months to stabilize and then try again.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but at the same time there are many Nvidia users having no problem with it. Unfortunately, none of them has so far contributed to the Troubleshooting section in the Plasma-5 upgrade guide.
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have some more time after the semester is done, I'll give it another shot and actually do some documentation.

The new workspaces look like they have really impressive potential. The moments, when whatever was blacking the screen went away, were quite pretty.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a nvidia (binary) + Plasma 5 + systemd user and I haven't had any problems other than having to mask the latest beta nvidia driver which made it to ~amd64. There has been an update to it but based on the changelog I didn't think it would help so I've just left it masked for now until I'm ready to experiment.

Sometimes the upgrades from kde4 to Plasma 5 can be a little quirky (at least in the past). Other times they have gone off without a hitch other than the expected blockers. Sometimes removing (or better moving) your old kde4 related config files can help resolve some mysterious issue. Other times when in doubt a good ole 'emerge -e @world' might just solve things, if you have the patience. In the past I've also found it likely that the culprit was a missing dependency which unfortunately wasn't properly included into an ebuild. Usually the overlay guys/KDE team are right on top of that though and it gets fixed quickly.
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like OpenRC better too, so that could be adding to the issue. (Really should have posted that emerge --info.)

I did try getting rid of all of my old .kde configurations and the .Xauthority file. I didn't emerge -e world, but I did rebuild the whole app/workspaces/everything and xorg.

Maybe the problem is OpenRC +binary nvidia + Plasma 5? The documentation did definitely seem to lean more towards people using systemd.

I also tried to stay with "stable" packages rather than using layman. That could make a difference.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npaust wrote:
Yeah, I like OpenRC better too, so that could be adding to the issue. (Really should have posted that emerge --info.)

I did try getting rid of all of my old .kde configurations and the .Xauthority file. I didn't emerge -e world, but I did rebuild the whole app/workspaces/everything and xorg.

Maybe the problem is OpenRC +binary nvidia + Plasma 5? The documentation did definitely seem to lean more towards people using systemd.

I also tried to stay with "stable" packages rather than using layman. That could make a difference.

Well in the past I did get it working with OpenRC too. If it really weren't working with nvidia + Plasma + openrc I would expect a lot more complaints. I think upstream more expects systemd (especially sddm) but it's not required. It might just be a little better supported. Especially sddm.
dhallas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem after update, it turned out to be caused by I had the gles2 use flag enabled, after disabling that use flag and recompiling the necessary packages solved the problem. One important note, if I switched to my Intel graphics adaptor I didn't have the problem, but I had the problem with my NVidia card. But disabling the gles2 use flag fixed the problem completely.

David
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important thing about sddm: There's an sddm user that needs to be added to video group. Failure to do so can indeed result in a black screen.
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm

I had the problem of there not being a log in screen when restarting computer.

I had used the wki page to work from.

I had not saw the
Code:
sddm --example-config > /etc/sddm.conf
on the page.
That was the one thing that I missed when going through the web page the first time.

I did add myself to the /etc/group file at the ( sddm ) location.

When I started the computer I sat there thinking why do I have this blank screen. So did the old Ctrl ALT F2 thing and this at least brought up a prompt screen. So loged in and
made this add.
I edited the /etc/group file again. I added sddm to the video.
Then rebooted and the log in screen came up this time.

I also have x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-361.28 working here. So don't know if this why this works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: