View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, is it possible to set some kind of slow start for the newcomers?
Say, limit the number of posts allowed to 1 per day until they reach 10 posts or something like that... Hopefully would be easy enough for new users, and annoying enough for spammers to make them give up before ending the trial.
Note: until 10 posts rather than for 10 days, because writing those posts takes some effort and makes spammers easy to spot. Waiting 10 days only takes time, which means one could prepare a spam bomb in advance avoiding both, the effort and early detection.
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I wonder, is it possible to set some kind of slow start for the newcomers?
Say, limit the number of posts allowed to 1 per day until they reach 10 posts or something like that... Hopefully would be easy enough for new users, and annoying enough for spammers to make them give up before ending the trial.
Note: until 10 posts rather than for 10 days, because writing those posts takes some effort and makes spammers easy to spot. Waiting 10 days only takes time, which means one could prepare a spam bomb in advance avoiding both, the effort and early detection.

Sounds like a great idea, we need something to deter spammers/phishers, this has gotten absolutely ridicules!

EDIT: How about a "Noob" Section, where they're limited to say 1 or 2 posts a day, up to say, 10 - 20 posts, and approval from a Mod or Admin to be upgraded from "noob" status.. Thoughts?

Last edited by MarioCorleone on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filtering the first few posts of a new user through Akismet might help (and banning those who consistently trigger failure there). The service has a free tier up to ~1600 comments a day; I don't think we get that in total here on an average day.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from the reports topic.

Perhaps there indeed is something that could be done towards catching at least the most obvious ones, before they get too far. I have no idea what can be done with the current software, but perhaps we're going versions up some time sooner than later though. -.^

(Not that I know more regardless of version(s).)

The volume of spam we get is quite hefty, but we've got some great people working against it (and I do what I can, too!). Being people, however, they're not there 100% of the time, so sometimes some things get to be seen for much longer than usual.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: