ioctl DMX_SET_FILTER failed: 6 No such dev or addr[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: ioctl DMX_SET_FILTER failed: 6 No such dev or addr[SOLVED] Reply with quote

I used to be able to watch TV by running 'azap "<channel name from ~/.azap/channels.conf>" -r' in one window and 'mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvro' in another window.

Now, running azap yields the title error message and attempting to rescan the channel list with 'w_scan -fa -A2 -c US -R 0 -O 0 -E 0-X >~/.azap/channels.conf' gives the same error message.

This worked about two months ago. All I could find on the web was a mailing list from 2009 where someone promised to look into it.

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux X3 4.3.3-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Dec 24 10:30:24 CST 2015 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 440 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
 $ equery b azap
 * Searching for azap ...
media-tv/linuxtv-dvb-apps-1.2 (/usr/bin/azap)
 $ equery b mplayer
 * Searching for mplayer ...
media-video/mplayer-1.2.1 (/usr/share/mplayer)
media-video/mplayer-1.2.1 (/etc/mplayer)
media-video/mplayer-1.2.1 (/usr/bin/mplayer)
 $ equery w linux-firmware
/usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20151207.ebuild

Hauppauge HVR-1600

Is this a hardware failure or what? linuxtv.org only has old postings. Is no one watching TV on Linux anymore?

Last edited by Tony0945 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently not. Well for posterity, this is what happened:

Rebuilt the software. Rebuilt the kernel, copied the firmware, over and over. Used different kernel versions, unmasked later versions of the utilities. Copied firmware from another (working) machine. Downloaded firmware from MythTV web site. Couldn't scan the channels, either "device or address not found". Went to bed. Got up at 03:37, couldn't sleep, did it all over, nada. Then I increased the kernel debugging level. A new error showed up in dmesg. Googled that error and found a comment on the linuxtv mailing list. Developer said the message was bad news, it indicated that the firmware could not be written to the onboard PROM. He suggested bumping the retry count from 10 to 20 or higher or blowing dust out of the PCI slots. I edited the source code, rebuilt the kernel. Only change was the system paused longer before faulting out. Had breakfast. Shut down the computer, removed the power plug because the blue LEDs were still on, removed the TV card, wiped some dust off the back with a cloth (my handkerchief), tried to put it back in to the next slot. Wouldn't go in. Pushed it back into the first slot and screwed it down, put the power plug back in and turned it on. SUCCESS! It's recording and playing live fine now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: