Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
samorost 3 on linux - did somebody try wine?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: samorost 3 on linux - did somebody try wine? Reply with quote

the sad news is samorost comes now only for mac and pc (windows) on humble bundle store.
the question is why.

could figure out that the engine is adobe air 21 which does not support linux anymore. tried to install the android apk on some android simulator but that was too slow. java. my previous attempts to run air on wine failed as i unpacked the game with unzip or 7z on linux which fails or fails partially.

finally i could unpack the game at win 8 developer preview os with 7z and could play the game with performance problems (slow animation and low resolution - 4gb ram on virtualbox with 3 cores out of 4 used)

if you do not know what samorost 3 is then either look at the video here: samorost3.net
or listen: classic adventure from amanita design which is rather a piece of art (sound/graphics) than just a game.

---unpacking problems---
unzip-6.0-r3 says: skipping: Samorost 3/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR.dll need PK compat. v6.3 (can do v4.6)
p7zip-9.20.1-r5 (and 15.09-r2) and ark-4.14.3-r1 do not unpack all the files.
there where no issues reported when unziping the MAC version of the game...
further reading at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1042244.html

---wine---
after unpacking that in windows and copping the files to linux i could play first hour without a problem in wine-1.6.2.
and the performance is much much better in wine compared to windows on virtualbox.

---wine performance problems---
the performance is weak in the level right to the totem level with the animated bubbles. have switched from nouveau to nvidia without a considerable improvement.
i guess it will be because of the old graphics card i use the last 7 years. nvidia geforce 9600 gt

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

Last edited by e3k on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 11 times in total
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play games, but this one looks really nice. I have emailed re: a Linux version.

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentooP4 wrote:
I don't play games, but this one looks really nice. I have emailed re: a Linux version.
yes it is really nice plus my wife likes to play only games from amanita. i did not understand that re: a Linux version part of your sentence.

Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying that they'd do this; All the previous versions were done in Flash and they just bundled it with the flash exe for whatever platform you bought it on.

Hopefully they can do the same thing with this since AFAIK Adobe Air is literally just Flash in a different container.
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Annoying that they'd do this; All the previous versions were done in Flash and they just bundled it with the flash exe for whatever platform you bought it on.

Hopefully they can do the same thing with this since AFAIK Adobe Air is literally just Flash in a different container.
also i have seen wine ports of windows code on humble bundle before. not this time...

mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Samorost 3 on Linux but on wine 1.9.x series (Intel HD 4xxx chipset) and performance is OK for me.
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
I play Samorost 3 on Linux but on wine 1.9.x series (Intel HD 4xxx chipset) and performance is OK for me.
i have upgraded to 1.9 and the yellow blue bubbles still cause my eyes burn. blurred slow motion i say.
---edit---
i guess it will be because of the old nvdia geforce 9600 gt.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: