View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curio77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

Hello all,

Since I've become accustomed to using ligatures-substituting “programming” fonts (Fira Code — https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode — in particular) in my IDEs (IDEA, Atom), I'd like to see them elsewhere as well.

KDE4 is supposed to support them in various distributions (getting ligatures in Konsole, Kate), yet doesn't do so for me. I'm using KDE 4.14, and there don't appear to be any related use flags.

Any ideas?
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

Why not use the corresponding Unicode characters instead?
curio77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Why not use the corresponding Unicode characters instead?

Because those wouldn't be correct syntax for the code file you edit in the console, etc. Visual ligature substitution is just eye candy for what are actually just sequences of ASCII characters commonly used in various programming languages that, granted, doesn't add anything functional but is nice to have nonetheless for those so inclined.

Before this gets off-topic: this isn't about the necessity of having them or not but about the fact they don't work when they should.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

curio77 wrote:
Before this gets off-topic: this isn't about the necessity of having them or not but about the fact they don't work when they should.

Doesn't work at all or just not in KDE? Have you tried with fluxbox or maybe console?
curio77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Doesn't work at all or just not in KDE? Have you tried with fluxbox or maybe console?

I don't see how trying other window managers would help as I'm interested in getting it to work in KDE. It does work in Atom and IntelliJ IDEA (within KDE), but those are of course not KDE applications.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

curio77 wrote:
It does work in Atom and IntelliJ IDEA (within KDE), but those are of course not KDE applications.

At least something working. Did you file a bug for the relevant packages?
curio77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Unicode ligatures (Fira Code, Hasklig, etc.) in KDE4 Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
At least something working. Did you file a bug for the relevant packages?

Those are not relevant as they are not Fira Code but some Firefox font packages. There is no Fira Code package on Gentoo; instead, I installed the font (v1.102 and also tried earlier versions) user-locally in “~/.fonts”. It is found by the X/KDE font subsystems and selectable, it's just that ligature substitution is not applied in KDE applications as it is supposed to (source: at least two users with non-Gentoo systems according to comments on issues on the project's GitHub site). Of course I've checked with the Fira Code project itself and asked similarly there, however without any input from that end so far.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you would have more luck in the forums of kde.org, did you try there?

P.S.:
There is bug 569786 already.

Last edited by charles17 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
curio77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Maybe you would have more luck in the forums of kde.org, did you try there?

Not yet. Tried here first because I suspect some Gentoo-specific issue (implicit or explicit package configuration or suchlike). I'm still hopeful someone else chimes in, maybe even someone for whom this works, so we could start comparing system configurations. Thanks for your efforts!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: