thunar segfaults after two renaming operations
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koslowj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: thunar segfaults after two renaming operations Reply with quote

I noticed a strange issue with Thunar 1.6.10 (Xfce 4.12): when I rename files, it crashes always after two renaming operations.
After each operation I get the following note in the terminal window:

(thunar:19200): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I'm running a and64 system. I've seen other reports for different linux implementations reporting irregular crashes of thunar
at about November of last year.

-- Jürgen
kosovafan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

did you found a solution? I have same mistake. What i read in net should be the glib a problem.

Thx

Silvio
pcmaster
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, thunar dies when i move some files from a directory to another.

The files are moved OK, thunar crashes just inmmediately after moving files.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, some here, tried renaming a few files on a remote NFS share and kaboom. Not that I really care ...
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This patch can resolve problem
yayo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem too. It happens randomly but often. It's quite annoying since anytime I have to restart it, and browse back to the folder I was working on.
Sometimes also the refresh of the window fails, and I see some files disappearing, some others doubled, and things like this.
It gives me the unpleasant feeling of being unsure of what really happened about the files. : /

I found a patch too on the web, probably the same (this: http://tqdev.com/2016-xubuntu-16-04-thunar-crashes-on-rename).
Forgive my ignorance but I don't know how to apply it. : P Can someone please explain it to me?

Also, considering that it seems to affect many users, isn't there a way to implement it on the package itself? I would like to avoid to mess with it manually anytime thunar needs to be recompiled for whatever reason (updates, changes on dependencies....).

Thanks.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yayo wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but I don't know how to apply it. : P Can someone please explain it to me?

Read this guide.
You need also create /etc/portage/bashrc (see in guide for content) because thunar ebuild is only EAPI 5 and not have epatch_user function.
yayo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! That's not really clear, it seems like a page written primarily for coders or package maintainers, not for common users... (eapi? eclass? epatch_user? O_o )
Anyway, I guess it's like creating such bashrc file, the patches dir with proper thunar subdir, putting the patch in it, and then rebuild the software. Or something.
I'll figure out by myself. I'll make some attempts as soon as I'll have spare time to try, and if it doesn't work, I'll revert changes and rebuild thunar as it is.
Thanks again.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yayo wrote:
Duh! That's not really clear, it seems like a page written primarily for coders or package maintainers, not for common users... (eapi? eclass? epatch_user? O_o )

Ok, step by step.
First create file /etc/portage/bashrc with this content:
Code:
pre_src_prepare() {
    [[ ${EAPI:-0} == [012345] ]] || return
    if ! type epatch_user > /dev/null 2>&1; then
        local names="EPATCH_USER_SOURCE epatch_user epatch evar_push evar_push_set evar_pop estack_push estack_pop"
        source <(awk "/^# @(FUNCTION|VARIABLE): / { p = 0 } /^# @(FUNCTION|VARIABLE): (${names// /|})\$/ { p = 1 } p { print }" ${PORTDIR}/eclass/eutils.eclass)
    fi

epatch_user

for name in $names; do
        unset $name
    done
}

This allows at ebuild without support for aplying external patches to do so.

Secondo step it is to creating the directory when to copy the patch, in your case
Code:
# mkdir -p /etc/portage/patches/xfce-base/thunar-1.6.10

Now you can copy the patch (the name of patch is not important) in the directory and then rebuild thunar
Code:
# emerge thunar

yayo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I applied the patch. : D
But thunar keeps crashing... D :
??
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the test. I create a directory with mkdir and create a file in with touch. Than I openned Thunar and went inside the new directory to rename the file. No problem here.

Not related with the crash of this post,

Thunar have an other weird behavior. It try to access at least the immediate sub-directories of the one it is in. If a sub-directory is a mount point of a Cifs share, this share is try to be mounted by Autofs I use for this, even if Thunar is not inside the share mount point yet. If the share is not available Thunar wait until the Autofs timeout.

So, when Xfce4 start, Thunar can wait for awhile before to show the desktop if a share is not available in the home directory of the user logged in. It's the same behavior if I do an ls of the user home directory in a terminal, list the mount point of a share (not list the inside of the share) generate Autofs to try to mount the share.

I have change the Autofs timout delay for a shorter time. I use the -ns option of the ln command when I create symbolic links now. The link is consider as a file and not a directory until it is access directly. So if the link point to a share mount point, the share is only mounted when the link is access directly.

I need a script to make Autofs only consider available share in it's configuration to not try to mount unavailable shares. This happen with laptops when I am out of home and some share are only available at home.
yayo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the link posted by fedeliallalinea (I found some spare time to read it all), the problem is far away from being solved. If I understood correctly what I read, it seems that it may depends on many bugs working together and still it's not totally clear how to fix it. Someone suggested to rewrite a section of the code, since adding many bugfix could lead to more unespected bugs and problems. Someone else noticed it may depends on the refresh of the window, not on the rename of the file itself.

I also have unsolved troubles with the scanner and the webcam...
Meh... I just hope they keep working on it and find out a solution. : (
I have many files to rename, and I'm not totally confident on using thunar.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: