Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

Gentoo is not exactly known for preventing you from configuring stuff (the Wikis exist for a reason). Note that without pasting this information no one is able to help you, but of course this also isn't really a support thread. Feel free to open one, though.

Until I can replicate the problem I don't think there is any useful information to paste. 31 tries last night to replicate and could not. No point in starting a thread -> my computer is shutting down as expected, here is the output, what is wrong?

genstorm wrote:
I don't think it's an intentional change, it is simply a bug.

Our attitude towards plamsa is a combination of bugs, changes that don't make sense and some things not working with plasma that did with kde4. This morning I am sitting in front of a lxqt session just so I have icons where I left them last and as well as the computer that is not being updated for the time being I now have one person wanting their computer moved away from anything kde/plasma after kde being in use from either late kde 1 or early 2.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end of course it doesn't matter if bug or intention, but contrary to grave bugs you can do nothing about, this is one I personally can adapt to until it is solved.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated from KDE4 to Plasma-5 last week. Was a smooth transition for me and nothing like I expected. I think waiting for 5.7 was the main reason things went so well. I really only had one issue to work around and was sddm specific. So far, so good. Very happy.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still recommend current stable 5.6.5 for general use, and only upgrade to 5.7.x in case of issues with it (where there is an expectation of a fix in that later version). Of course ~arch users get 5.7.x right away.
Razor0068
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an Issue with emerging plasma-desktop-5.6.5? Every time i try to run
Code:
emerge --ask kde-plasma/plasma-meta
i get the errors below. Ive been able to successfully compile everything except for "kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5" and "kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.6.5". I had a similar issue in the past when trying to emerge GNOME without systemd, and some guy was able to fix it from his end?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Code:
internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <https://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
kcms/keyboard/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard.dir/build.make:386: recipe for target 'kcms/keyboard/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard.dir/preview/geometry_parser.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [kcms/keyboard/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard.dir/preview/geometry_parser.cpp.o] Error 4
make[2]: *** Deleting file 'kcms/keyboard/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard.dir/preview/geometry_parser.cpp.o'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/work/plasma-desktop-5.6.5_build'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4970: recipe for target 'kcms/keyboard/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [kcms/keyboard/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/work/plasma-desktop-5.6.5_build'
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/work/plasma-desktop-5.6.5_build'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/work/plasma-desktop-5.6.5'

>>> Failed to emerge kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5:

* ERROR: kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it always _precisely_ the same error?

Code:

...especially since it has happened before, on unrelated packages, you might actually see a hardware issue.
Razor0068
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a different build. It just seemed like a similar issue, though i guess it may not be. Im doing everything out of VMware Workstation. I just did a emerge --depclean and am re-emerging KDE now. But with everything i have tried, i get the same response with KDE. Even when individually emerging the packages
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Is it always _precisely_ the same error?

Code:

...especially since it has happened before, on unrelated packages, you might actually see a hardware issue.

Usually this error is a out of memory issue. Try adding more swap space
Razor0068
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Usually this error is a out of memory issue. Try adding more swap space

I added another 1.5GB of RAM to my VM and it completed! Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have thought of that.
krotuss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the question that we should really ask is, if there is still some hope. I was restraining myself for a long time from writing this post, but KDE5/Plasma5 is total crap. Some applications (kopete) cause kwin to segfault, after some time plasma starts using lot of CPU time, whole environment is slow and feels like ride riding a bike with square wheels, after reboot plasma places both panels on the same monitor over one another, etc. I started to turn off my computer again (I was using S3 before) because performance deteriorates over time. There a bug reports opened for some of this issues, some older then a year - so much for question if there is still some hope. I remember there were issues with KDE3->4 transition, but not this serious and didn't took this long to resolve.
At4ri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 5 - How is it? Reply with quote

zoidie wrote:
Hi,

I've been toying with updating to KDE 5 and was after some feedback from anyone who uses it. The upgrade process on the wiki looks relatively straight forward and whilst I appreciate it isn't marked as stable yet, it seems like it has been around for a while now and does look quite nice!

The forum is relatively quiet on the topic so either few people are using it or it works well. Is there any major reason against upgrading? Or does anybody know when it might be marked as stable and replace KDE4 anyway.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Several things in my opinion,
is this easy upgrade, I would opt for a clean installation and only use libraries QT5 in make.conf Setea -qt4 -kde -qt3support that's the way I use it and it works very well .
and on the other no longer it makes sense to use gentoo stably if not for a server, I would assign ~ amd64 .
regards

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negative, let's not resort to voodoo solutions. ;) I'm sure these USE flag settings work for you, but that is just the same as the default USE flag settings (which are exactly opposite to yours) work for me and many others [using a plasma profile]. Also switching off these flags is only half the story, it won't 'prevent' the use of Qt4 applications unless you consciously avoid any KDE Applications meta package and install them all manually, and it will not fix the bug any person may have with current kopete anyway, because it still fundamentally remains the same application (and there's nothing wrong with having Qt4 applications in a Plasma-5 workspace) regardless of the setting of these USE flags.

My recommendation for current stable Plasma 5.6.5 is still valid, if anyone's setup has multiscreen (or other) issues with that version they should very much try out Plasma 5.7.4 (you can download specific Frameworks and Plasma version unmask files from KDE overlay, so you can keep the rest of your system stable), but this is not the final multiscreen solution yet - also 5.6.5 in Gentoo already has several major backports to address these issues. I'm really looking forward to Plasma 5.8 already which, having built from live sources, has not shown any sign of instability yet on my production system, and supposedly fixes even more multiscreen setups.
allistarM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE5 and plasma is a better experience for me than KDE4.

Pros:
- it remembers the panel and widget positions on my triple head setup now! It also remembers desktop settings like wallpapers!
- it feel snappier and more polished.
- I can still use compiz! I find this far more feature rich and configurable than the effects built into KDE.

Cons:
- After about a week the plasma application can run away with memory usage forcing me to kill X and relog back in.
- there's no way to remote Plasma because of the requirement for GL, so I now use LXDE to remote connect in using X2Go.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 4th attempt to use plasma and it's still not usable, cleared all cache kde configs, tested on new user. Spent few days with it - not usable,
jsut tested bc kdevelop5.0 came out.

- playing with systemsettigns - change decorations few times and plasmashell 100% crash
- even yakuake can't save profile, bc they screwed konsole
- its freezy, when emerging something in background and u start some bigger program or start movie it will do some micro freezes when loading new program, just like windows after start in first 3 mins! it can even do some freeze when poping up context menu and u emerge something in background.
- overall compared to kde4 or lxQt slow as f***

Pros:
none found
kharitonow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
I did 4th attempt to use plasma and it's still not usable, cleared all cache kde configs, tested on new user. Spent few days with it - not usable,
jsut tested bc kdevelop5.0 came out.

- playing with systemsettigns - change decorations few times and plasmashell 100% crash
- even yakuake can't save profile, bc they screwed konsole
- its freezy, when emerging something in background and u start some bigger program or start movie it will do some micro freezes when loading new program, just like windows after start in first 3 mins! it can even do some freeze when poping up context menu and u emerge something in background.
- overall compared to kde4 or lxQt slow as f***

Pros:
none found

I bet this laggy behaviour because of Disk I/O usage. First you should find what exactly did the freezes. What process that uses cpu and/or disk. It can be possible that baloo started indexing your home directory.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it can even do some freeze when poping up context menu and u emerge something in background.

That's clearly kernel configuration stuff, not Plasma related.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's clearly kernel configuration stuff, not Plasma related.

Maybe, but it never happend on kde4, lxQt or xfce.
Wanna see a nightmare ?
> eselect opengl [xorg-x11]
start plasma
and see nightmare, when other DE behaves normally.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insufficient problem description, no one can help you. Also:

Code:
$ eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   xorg-x11 *

Overall, I think your system config is broken but then again we don't know anything about it.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of problems at first.
In the end I made a clean ~amd64 install on a separate partition.
It's running like a charm except for two things:
Every now and then,after visiting a ctrl+altF1...6 terminal,on returning I get a black taskbar.
When I hover over it with the mouse I can see that it's still there,only texts etc. are illegible.
I noticed this seldom happens when there's something on the desktop.

Another problem I have is my Wacom tablet.
The tablet works fine but according to systemsettings there's no tablet connected.
This means it's impossible to set pressure etc (kde-misc/wacomtablet)

I was very skeptical at first fearing the dramatic upgrade from 3 to 4.
Apart from the above I must say it is better than kde4.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's ~amd64 world updates brings frameworks-5.26.0, kde-apps-16.08.1, and plasma-5.7.5! :D

Haven't looked at the change logs yet, but it should be some nice improvements of an already pretty good DE.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I noticed is that the "run in terminal" option of the .desktop files is fixed now. Previous 5.7.x versions had it malfunctioning, as neither the app nor the terminal would be launched.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@i4dnf: Interesting, is this about .desktop files with Terminal=true? Then it was indeed worth backporting that patch to KF-5.26.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i4dnf wrote:
First thing I noticed is that the "run in terminal" option of the .desktop files is fixed now. Previous 5.7.x versions had it malfunctioning, as neither the app nor the terminal would be launched.

Oh, it works for you now? I just updated to 5.7.5 today, and now the 'run in terminal' doesn't work for me anymore...it did before I upgraded.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frameworks version?
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Frameworks version?

It's 5.26.0
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: