Unable to merge vlc/mplayer after fiddling with ffmpeg/libav
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redraid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Unable to merge vlc/mplayer after fiddling with ffmpeg/libav Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently tried to switch from ffmpeg to libav because a software I wanted to use would only run with libav (don't ask ^^).
I tried to make it right for portage for 2 straight hours, but still it would pull ffmpeg into the dependency graph via various weird paths I couldn't really figure out.
In the end I found a different solution for my project and just wanted to get back to my old working ffmpeg setup.

Emerging ffmpeg worked fine, but during my trying to install libav I uninstalled vlc and mplayer to not have then flying around in the dependency graph.
Now they absolutely won't build with ffmpeg, these are the same versions I had before.
My make.conf contains now contains "-libav ffmpeg", just the same as before.
This is the error log of vlc: http://sprunge.us/WaRE
One can see that portage wants to merge vlc with "ffmpeg" and "-libav".
And my emerge info: http://sprunge.us/GPXT
I really ran out of ideas how to handle this, any ideas on it?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be
/usr/include/avidemux/2.6/libavutil/common.h wrote:
#define MKBETAG(a,b,c,d) ((d) | ((c) << 8) | ((b) << 16) | ((unsigned)(a) << 24))

If this file doesn't exist or doesn't contain that line, I would suggest to unmerge ffmpeg and then to reemerge it: It might be that the ffmpeg build system has a bug and reads some .h file from the system.
Before, I would check whether a cruft file is left from some previous installation in /usr/include (e.g. with find_cruft from the mv overlay).
redraid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/include/libavutil/common.h contains that line and I re-merged ffmpeg several times, no effect though :/
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another suggestion on solving your first problem.

The suggestion is to investigate /etc/portage/package.mask as it is meant for these cases. Second, you might also need to make sure nothing unnecessary has made its way into your world file. This can really screw with you and yes, everyone here has had to learn this the hard way.

EDIT: try a world update with --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redraid wrote:
/usr/include/libavutil/common.h contains that line and I re-merged ffmpeg several times, no effect though :/

Then the error you have during emerge is really strange. I can only imagine that there still is some cruft file (check also /usr/loca/...) from the previous installation.
Note also that I did not only recommend to reemerge ffmpeg, but to explicitly unmerge it first.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
The suggestion is to investigate /etc/portage/package.mask as it is meant for these cases.

Nothing of this could explain why packages using the ffmpeg library would fail during compilation: The first error message in the given link really means that for some reason the above line with #define is not read.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv, it wasn't supposed to. It was supposed to help with choosing one or the other.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a similar issue with ffmpeg / libav. The problem went away after I edited /etc/portage/package.use and removed some use flag for one or the other.
redraid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the help everybody.
For some reason I had a folder /usr/local/include/libavutil lying around with some files in it.
I didn't further investigate it, I just deleted it, and afterwards I could compile vlc.
I'm not sure where this folder came from, maybe it lay there for a while.
But my problem was more than just that folder, I also got hit by the massive kde unmask (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1043030-highlight-kdeframeworks.html).
Even though I don't even have KDE installed, portage wanted to merge all those packages, probably because I use 1-2 KDE programms.
But this kde bloat also brought some ffmpeg-related updates into the world dependecy graph, especially phonon and phonon-vlc; which made my situation even more confusing ^^.
In the end I sorted it out because of your hints and the tips in the kde thread, the Gentoo community is awesome :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: