Network dhcpcd etc. problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Network dhcpcd etc. problem Reply with quote

Hi.

After I have finish installed my new 64bit gentoo system and have emrged dhcpcd as it shal start one netcard up to could connect to my gentoo router for get its ip address and hostname from the router is it like that dhcpcd is go Down and Loose the netcard starting up and only some checking and test runs by
ifconfig eth0 and ifconfig enp2s0
dhcpcd eth0 and dhcpcd enp2s0
then restart of dhcpcd will make the pc get it ip and hostnames for the Linux router.

Is there some here there know what it make to dhcpcd to not geting Down after a reboot. ?

I have too the other problem with the Network Tool xinetd there not will start up in reason ot some error dhcpcd not seem to Work as it shall and looking for eth0 when the Cards is using enp2s0
The kernel keep on remane the netcard one moment is it eth mane and another is it enp names. xinetd using eth0 is it saying.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Network dhcpcd etc. problem Reply with quote

Gert Andersen wrote:
Is there some here there know what it make to dhcpcd to not geting Down after a reboot. ?

You might try running it as a service, see Network management using DHCPCD

Gert Andersen wrote:
I have too the other problem with the Network Tool xinetd there not will start up in reason ot some error dhcpcd not seem to Work as it shall and looking for eth0 when the Cards is using enp2s0
The kernel keep on remane the netcard one moment is it eth mane and another is it enp names. xinetd using eth0 is it saying.

Why do you think you need xinetd? I didn't ever install it.
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Network dhcpcd etc. problem Reply with quote

[quote="charles17"][quote="Gert Andersen"]Is there some here there know what it make to dhcpcd to not geting Down after a reboot. ?[/quote]
You might try running it as a service, see [url=https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Complete_network_stack_without_net.*_scripts]Network management using DHCPCD[/url]

[quote="Gert Andersen"]I have too the other problem with the Network Tool xinetd there not will start up in reason ot some error dhcpcd not seem to Work as it shall and looking for eth0 when the Cards is using enp2s0
The kernel keep on remane the netcard one moment is it eth mane and another is it enp names. xinetd using eth0 is it saying.[/quote]
Why do you think you need [color=blue][url=https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Security_Handbook/Securing_services#Using_xinetd]xinetd[/url][/color]? I didn't ever install it.[/quote]

I have a mailer progrom there is running by xinetd to start up server ports for telnet and 3 other ports binkp tfido and fido ports + the telnet ports - binkp itn and the telnet
The program is named mbsebbs and xinetd read a file in Gentoo /etc/xinet.d/ named mbsebbs there start binkp´itn port + the telnet port to answer connects from outside.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Network dhcpcd etc. problem Reply with quote

Gert Andersen wrote:

This happens during boot, as you could see from dmesg.
Code:
$ dmesg | grep eth0

Renaming is caused by a rule of sys-fs/eudev or sys-fs/udev in the file /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules which can be overwritten by a corresponding rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/.
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Network dhcpcd etc. problem Reply with quote

[quote="charles17"][quote="Gert Andersen"]The kernel keep on remane the netcard one moment is it eth mane and another is it enp names. xinetd using eth0 is it saying.[/quote]
This happens during boot, as you could see from dmesg.[code]$ dmesg | grep eth0

[/code]
Renaming is caused by a rule of sys-fs/eudev or sys-fs/udev in the file [color=blue]/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules[/color] which can be overwritten by a corresponding rule in [color=blue]/etc/udev/rules.d/[/color].[/quote]

I then just need to known the right name and setting to use in /etc/udev/rules.d/ as I have a interface rule file in here but with the old name of 70_* file.
This is like udev not use it.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Network dhcpcd etc. problem Reply with quote

Gert Andersen wrote:
I then just need to known the right name and setting to use in /etc/udev/rules.d/ as I have a interface rule file in here but with the old name of 70_* file.

Have a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev and read man 8 udevadm.

Gert Andersen wrote:
This is like udev not use it.

There might be some differences between eudev (which I am using) and udev. You could find the actually applied rules using
Code:
$ udevadm info -p /sys/class/net/enp2s0
(Make sure /sys/class/net/enp2s0 is correct.)
and (as root)
Code:
# udevadm test /sys/class/net/enp2s0

Then overwrite those rules by creating empty files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ like
Code:
80-net-name-slot.rules

Edit:
No need for putting empty 75-net-description.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/
See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev#Keep_classic_.27eth0.27_naming

Last edited by charles17 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gert Andersen,

If you like the kernel names for the network interfaces and not the 'persistent' names add
Code:
net.ifnames=0
to your kernel command line in your boot loader config file.
This tells [e]udev not to rename your interfaces.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NeddySeagoon"]Gert Andersen,

If you like the kernel names for the network interfaces and not the 'persistent' names add [code]net.ifnames=0[/code]to your kernel command line in your boot loader config file.
This tells [e]udev not to rename your interfaces.[/quote]

My other Linux systems of Gento is using 70-persitent-net.rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ to keep using old names of eth* and to hold the netcard interface not moving around for my router.

so if the new install of Gentoo could use eth* instead of use enp* will all Work fine, self when I instal the new Gentto was it used eth* while intalling but after was it changed to it was eno* names and the Gentoo handbbok is still use the old interface names and some Gentoo programs and utlities is still using the old interface names.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gert Andersen wrote:
so if the new install of Gentoo could use eth* instead of use enp* will all Work fine, self when I instal the new Gentto was it used eth* while intalling but after was it changed to it was eno* names and the Gentoo handbbok is still use the old interface names and some Gentoo programs and utlities is still using the old interface names.

So what is the problem? Do what's stated in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev#Keep_classic_.27eth0.27_naming and be happy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: