Plasma 5 kde compositor with Nvidia Card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Plasma 5 kde compositor with Nvidia Card Reply with quote

I'm just trying to get a sense of what is the right thing. On my system, only xrender provides a crash free plasma desktop environment. I have tried both open gls with egl and glx and all seem unstable and I get crashes where I lose my window borders or everything just freezes. What is the correct settings for the compositor with a relatively new Nvidia card?
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma 5 kde compositor with Nvidia Card Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
I'm just trying to get a sense of what is the right thing. On my system, only xrender provides a crash free plasma desktop environment. I have tried both open gls with egl and glx and all seem unstable and I get crashes where I lose my window borders or everything just freezes. What is the correct settings for the compositor with a relatively new Nvidia card?

I've previously flogged this subject to death on this very sub-forum, see nvidia OpenGL + sddm = blank screens ... Have a read through that (don't tl;dr it!!)

Things are pretty stable for my Plasma 5 install running on my ASUS ROG G751JT laptop with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M and =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-361.18 ... I'm using the OpenGL 3.1 / GLX compositor. The desktop cube appears to be non-existent so far (duplicated by another Gentoo user). Most other effects are stable now (I've got good ol' wobbly windows enabled, the cover-flow style window switching, etc.) Suspend/resume (to-ram) works like a champ as well (oft a problem with Nvidia drivers)... Game support is working (Wine DirectX 9.0c Windows games & native Steam OpenGL 4.x -based games, etc.)

If you change to the USE flags -egl and -gles2 for the dev-qt/qt*:5 toolkit (disabling them is my firm recommendation - when using the Nvidia proprietary driver!!)

You appear to have to rebuild all your Plasma Desktop packages:
Code:
emerge -1 $(qlist -CI kde-frameworks/*)
emerge -1 $(qlist -CI kde-plasma/*)

I got stuck with a black SDDM screen of doom for 2 weeks trying to work through that one... Don't assume that Portage knows how handle this automatically (hint: it doesn't work)!! I think I might have gotten away with just rebuilding the packages directly dependent on the dev-qt/qtgui:5 (built with USE -egl -eglfs -gles2). But it's such a pain not having stable composting and I'm not 100% on that - now...

Hope that's useful! 8)
Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: