Tony0945 wrote:
8350 is a 220W TDP CPU.

No its not 220W TDP. The FX 9... are 220W. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_microprocessors
git clone https://github.com/schorsch1976/portage
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: kernel and power supply etc Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

I ran genkernel with one cpu only as you suggested and the kernel compiled successfully.

You were right.

My casecom 350W power supply is too puny for the box here.

The idle power draw of an FX 8350 is 91W from the wall.

The average power draw for it in use is 182W in the tests done here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-16.html

Peak power draw is measured as 196W in this review:

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/4

and with what appears to be some overclocking as much as 350W here

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2014/november/fx-8350_power_to_performance

The engt 430 graphics card draws all its power from the motjherboard - a psu of 300W with 18 amps on 12V rail is recommended minimum by NVIDIA.

The power supply I am using is a CASECOM 350W device.

The power supply that needs to be fixed is a Zalman zm 1250 platinum.

Regds

MF
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this link http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17897600 it might only be supplying 8A at 12v to the CPU. The Seasonic 380 supplies twice as much power. Your zalman gives 45A, enough to weld with!
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: casecom vs zalman psu etc Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

Right enough it seems as though the casecom power supply is pretty puny.........

The zalman is reviewed here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5144/zalman_zm1250_platinum_1250w_80_plus_platinum_power_supply_review/index.html

It has two 12V rails; one rated at 45A and the other at 65A.

That's enough for Victor Frankenstein......

I'll let you know once I have got it fixed.

Regds

MF
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: I installed gentoo on a kaveri box while the psu is fixed Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

I have installed gentoo on a kaveri box I have here while I get the zalman psu fixed for the piledriver box.

It went OK and genkernel seems to have worked.

I used debian annd gparted to make extra partitions on a disk that also had a number of Oses on it.

This worked.

I used the gentoo minimal disk a bit so I could use the mirrorselect package but I probably could have emerged it and carried on with debian.

I switched back to debian after I ran genkernel.

I finished off the install and successfully rebooted.

grub did not see the other OSes but I fixed that using the system boot repair disk I have.

I now want to go back into the gentoo install and try compiling and configuring the latest kernel and then have that kernel supersede the genkernel kernel.

Last time I tried to this in the old AMD 3400 install something went awry and the new kernel went missing in the wrong directory and I ended up being stuck with the genkernel kernel instead.......

This time I am hoping to improve on that.

I am going to read up on the kernel compilation and configuration and in particular on the target directory for the executable etc before attempting it.

Wish me luck,

Regards

MF
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: I installed gentoo on a kaveri box while the psu is fixe Reply with quote

mikefot wrote:
I have installed gentoo on a kaveri box I have here while I get the zalman psu fixed for the piledriver box.
I'm planning a kaveri motherboard to replace my LAN server which is an old Athlon64 X2. I'm looking at an A8-7600 on a GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3HP with 16GB memory for a cheap system with low power (65W TDP on that processor). I'm thinking of replacing the nine year old Antec Smartpower 2.0 with an 80 Plus Platinum since the system runs 24/7, mostly dormant. I put a kill-a-watt on it and found that the PSU draws 6 watts with the the computer shut off! The Smartpower is only 70% efficient at best. The AC draw is 60W when idle and running. That's 15% of rated load for the PSU so it's probably less than 70% efficient. Obviously reliable, though. It's nine years old.

I'd greatly appreciate any tips about the kaveri and kernel modules, along with a mobo rec or warning.

Quote:
I used debian and gparted to make extra partitions on a disk that also had a number of Oses on it.
I used the gentoo minimal disk a bit so I could use the mirrorselect package but I probably could have emerged it and carried on with debian.
I like the sysrescuecd that I learned about on this forum. It's gentoo based and has a GUI with gparted. The instructions on the web site to put it on a USB stick are super easy. I put it on an $8 stick and can now boot anything that has a BIOS usb boot (everything modern?) regardless if it has a CD/DVD drive. https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage and https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Howto_install-usb-stick
Quote:
Wish me luck,
Of course!
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: mobo recs for kaveri etc Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

The machine I have uses a Gigabyte F2A78M-HD2 motherboard.

It does not have as many usb ports and other bells and whistles as more upmarket boards.

In think the one you are interested in is probably superior to this one but it does work OK.

I have been using it for a year now.

The pc has a 500W psu in it.

There are a few motherboards that are similar in quality to the one you are interested in. I remembet MSI had a good one.

But I think it is a fair choice.

On with the zalman repair job.......

Now you know about it you won't want a lesser psu.

Regds

MF
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: mobo recs for kaveri etc Reply with quote

mikefot wrote:
Dear Tony,

The machine I have uses a Gigabyte F2A78M-HD2 motherboard.

Now you know about it you won't want a lesser psu.

Thank You! The box to be upgraded has a nine year old Anctec Smartpower 2.0 SP-500 that is reliable but has no PFC and only 70% peak efficiency.

I'm looking to buy this PSU, even though it's a bit pricey, but what does an extra $50 mean on a PSU that's going to last for years?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371077

Last edited by Tony0945 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: I have sent the 1250 W zalman psu to be fixed..... Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

I have sent the big power supply unit for the FX8350 box away to get sorted.....

As soon as I get it back I will remove the small 350W casecom psu and install the big beast and have a go at the manual kernel configuration etc.

It does have PFC protection.

I might try getting a psu tester or cheap multimeter like device to check on it.

I now see that a good power supply really is important and computers use more power than you think........

I originally went for the big psu because I wanted to install a e.g. a GTX 970 graphics card in it at some point and I had read that if you used a big powerful psu which
would not be troubled by it then you would be protecting the motherboard and cpu etc since the electronic components would all run at the correct voltage etc 100%
of the time........

I now realise that peak power demand can be greater than I had envisaged.

Regds

MF
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: the psu for the FX 8350 has been replaced Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

Hello after a while.... The psu in the FX 8350 box has been replaced with an Antec 1300....

I am thinking to try upgrading from the genkernel kernel I have on the kaveri box to the latest kernel which I would compile and manually configure.

If I can make that work I will try the kernel compilation on the FX8350 box using all 8 cpus to check the psu is getting enough juice (should be now) and then do a manual kernel installation there aswell.

I hope you are OK.

Regards

mikefot
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: I tried compiling the kernel on the AMD kaveri box..... Reply with quote

Dear Folks,

I logged in to the gentoo install I have on an AMD Kaveri APU box I have and ran the emerge update deep @world commands etc to update the system which seemed to run well.

I ran emerge depclean a number of times and used the revdep-rebuild command which seemed to run OK as well.

I had originally used genkernel and now want to manually configure and compile the latest kernel from source.

The kernel I have is 4.1.15.

I emerged the kernel source package - it said the kernel I already had was the newest one. Running eselect kernel list showed this one kernel.

I then googled around for some hints on the correct configuration of the kernel in a kaveri box - in particular the radeon graphics card.

Using the menuconfig tool I set the graphics driver to build the radeon card files into the kernel (I emerged the radeon ucode package).

I did not install the firmware package and/or choose the external firmware option in the compilation.

I checked a number of other kernel settings based on recommendations in the gentoo documentation which seemed to be OK.

It seemed as if the layout of kernel options had changed a lot in version 4 relative to 3 so I couldn't always find certain options to check they were correct.

I did make -j9

then

make install_modules

and then

make install

I should have done make -j5 because the kaveri has 4 cpus not 8.

I am not sure if the compilations were successful.

I can post log files e.g. from/var/log etc using pastebin if anyone would be kind enough to take a look at them and I can rerun the compilation again as necessary.

If I can successfully configure the graphics card in the kernel compilation I would then be looking to install the xserver packages and then e.g. KDE etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Michael Fothergill
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the Kaveri seems to do a lot better with the 4.7 and up kernels. I have an A8-7600 on a gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP

Here is my 4.8.8 config http://pastebin.com/R1katxuC In make.conf I have set VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi radeon"
I don't know if this is ideal but it works. My buildscript:
Code:
#!

cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz >.config

# At this point we should compare kernel versions and make oldconfig if the base version has updated
make oldconfig
make menuconfig   &&  make -j5 && make -j5 modules_install && make -j5 install && echo "Don't forget to update boot loader menu"
emerge --nodeps net-misc/r8168
I found that the kernel r8169 driver doesn't work for my board, so I don't build it in the kernel, either as built-in or module. Your board may be different.
It's idling nicely at 39 watts at the wall, which is probably 30 watts at the board. Peak is somewhere around 70w. Not for gaming but makes a nice samba/apache/minidlna server.
One thing I didn't realize, the 8G memory is only 7G because the GPU side reserves 1G of main memory for itself.

Just got an SSD and will probably install it tomorrow.

EDIT: Will be glad to look at your pastebins.
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: updating the kernel etc Reply with quote

Dear Tony

I realised that I might not have mounted the /boot partition when I set up the chroot into gentoo yesterday.

I did it and ran make install again in case it had not put the kernel into the /boot location.

I got this output – the same as when I did it yesterday:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # make install
sh ./arch/x86/boot/install.sh 4.1.15-gentoo-r1 arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
   System.map "/boot"

I did not run grub-mkconfig to update the bootloader.- I have now emerged grub 2 and did grub2-mkconfig.

I also installed the grub os prober package and the ntfs windows sniffing package as well.

At first when I ran eselect kernel list I could only see the one 4.1.15 kernel.

I ran emerge syskernel sources but it didn't alter.

I then googled around and began to think I should run emerge webrsync.

I then did

Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

and

Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world

Code:
emerge --depclean

This resulted in the 4.4.26 kernel being installed IIRC.

I checked the web page listing available kernels.

The latest is 4.8.9.

If I did something like emerge sys/kernel-gentoo-sources.4,8.9

would that fetch me the latest kernel?

I need to update 2 config files apparently.

I will eselect the newest kernel I can obtain and try compiliing it.

Comments appreciated.

Many thanks for posting the tips and hints on this.

I bought an SSD and it died on me so I am not so interested in them nowadays- but maybe yours will be OK.

Regards

Michael
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -av =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.8.9 --autounmask-write

After it runs, you will have to run etc-update and do it again.

If you use your old config be sure to make oldconfig first. If you use mine, give the supplemental name "tony" or something so you can distinguish it from some other kernel.

I run grub legacy, so I'm not sure what all you have to do to update the menu. Updating the menu was confusing so I never went to grub2. Editting the menu in grub legacy is easy.

On the SSD, I plan to try refind which is supposed to find the kernels by itself from the name vmlinuz.

Building your kernel is one of the most important steps in Gentoo, so take it slow and make sure you understand each step.
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: kaveri box kernel compilation Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I ran the command you gave me for the kernel source as you suggested:

Code:
 etc-update

When I ran eselect again I could see that the new kernel had been downloaded:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # !182
eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-4.1.15-gentoo-r1 *
  [2]   linux-4.4.26-gentoo
  [3]   linux-4.8.9-gentoo
(chroot) rhinoceros linux #

I found a web page giving advice on the amdgpu package:

[url]https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu
[/url]
I have followed the recommendations on it for my case as best I could and ran:

Code:
emerge --ask sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode
emerge --ask --changed-use --deep @world
emerge –depclean

The commands ran successfully AFAICT.

I then copied the config file from the /boot partition to the /usr/linux/src directory:

Code:
 cp /boot/config-4.1.15-gentoo-r1 .config

I then listed the available kernels:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # !213
eselect kernel list
  [1]   linux-4.1.15-gentoo-r1 *
  [2]   linux-4.8.9-gentoo

I then selected the 4.8.9 kernel:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # eselect kernel set 2

Then I checked it was ready to be used:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # eselect kernel list

Code:

[1]   linux-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
  [2]   linux-4.8.9-gentoo *

I then ran make oldconfig:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # make oldconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/bin2c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf  --oldconfig Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#

I then ran make menuconfig. For some odd reason it opened the old 4.1.15 kernel not the new 4.8.9 one.........

Then I accidentally deleted the terminal window I had made in debian which I had created the chroot to gentoo with. Oops.

I opened a new window and then discovered that running the chroot command followed by a few other commands and I reestablished the chroot gentoo environment.
I went back into /usr/src/linux and when I ran make menuconfig again this time it opened the new 4.8.9 kernel......

I then looked at the gentoo amdgpu web page to get some more tips on the correct kernel settings for the graphics card in the new kernel.

I then tried to configure the kernel.

I managed to turn on most of the settings recommended for the graphics card and the sound card.
I was not sure what kind of codec was right for the AMD audio devices I have. So I chose a generic codec parser option.
I did not turn on the amdgpu support for CIK parts because the kaveri chip is not a south sea island device.

I saved the configuration as .config

In the kernel section on the firmware drivers I could turn on the firmware built in option but could not find any submenu that allowed the list of binary files to be entered in.

Quote:
[*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
(amdgpu/<YOUR-MODEL>.bin radeon/<YOUR-MODEL>.bin)
(/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory

The compilation was done as follows:

Code:
make -j5

Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)

It seemed to go OK

Then I compiled the modules:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # make modules_install
  INSTALL drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu.ko
  INSTALL drivers/gpu/drm/ttm/ttm.ko
  INSTALL drivers/mfd/mfd-core.ko
  INSTALL drivers/thermal/x86_pkg_temp_thermal.ko
  INSTALL fs/efivarfs/efivarfs.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_MASQUERADE.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_nat.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_log_arp.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_log_ipv4.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_ipv4.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_masquerade_ipv4.ko
  INSTALL net/ipv6/netfilter/nf_log_ipv6.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/nf_log_common.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/nf_nat.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/nf_nat_ftp.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/nf_nat_irc.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/nf_nat_sip.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/xt_LOG.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/xt_addrtype.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/xt_mark.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/xt_nat.ko
  DEPMOD  4.8.9-gentoo

I then put the executable in the bootloader:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # make install
sh ./arch/x86/boot/install.sh 4.8.9-gentoo arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
   System.map "/boot"

I looked in the boot partition to see if it made it:

Code:
(chroot) rhinoceros linux # ls -l /boot
total 56627
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2908372 Nov 20 16:52 System.map-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3566723 Nov 21 20:47 System.map-4.8.9-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2908372 Mar 27  2016 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   136612 Nov 20 16:52 config-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   108360 Nov 21 20:47 config-4.8.9-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root     1024 Nov 20 17:34 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32023496 Mar 27  2016 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4882992 Mar 27  2016 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
drwx------ 2 root root    12288 Mar 26  2016 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4882864 Nov 20 16:52 vmlinuz-4.1.15-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  6549936 Nov 21 20:47 vmlinuz-4.8.9-gentoo

I think it did.

I then updated grub as follows:

(chroot) rhinoceros linux # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

When I rebooted into gentoo at first it could only find the old 4.1.15 kernel.

I then rebooted into the debian installation I have alongside the gentoo and ran update-grub.

Then I rebooted and chose the grub option to load gentoo and the debian grub had sniffed out the 4.8.9 gentoo kernel and presented it as an option next to the old kernel.

I booted it up and logged into it and it booted up OK.

At present my main interest is to try to install e.g. the xserver package and eventually a window manager such as KDE.

But that would not be a good idea at all if the graphics card isn't recognised properly by the new kernel etc.

Could you suggest some tests I could do(or output files I could post up on pastebin) to check whether the kernel is kosher enough to proceed to window manager package installation?

Regards and thanks

Michael

PS I also added the video card entry you used into make.conf and updated it before I compiled the new kernel
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much have to install X and see if it runs to troubleshoot it. There will be helpful logs in /var/log
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are hardware problems, check the settings in the config file I sent. I think the boards are very close in built-in hardware. Remember r8168 vs r8169. I think r8169 only supports very old Realtek chips.
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: kernel modesetting, modprobe and X Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

I installed Xorg and then booted up gentoo and ran startx.

It crashed grumblling that the kernel modesetting was not supported.

I began to wonder if I needed to reconfigure the kernel to turn on extra KMS related features etc that I might have missed etc and then recompile the kernel and try again etc.

But when I googled around I noticed that someone had the same error and fixed it by using a command called modprobe.

They used it to turn on a module that could set the KMS for the graphics card.

Code:
modprobe nvidia

is one example of the command being used that I found.

For the radeon card (my case) I found the command

Code:
modprobe radeon modeset=1

when I googled around.

If I boot up gentoo and login as root could I run the modprobe command in some way to fix the KMS problem in this case and not necessarily need to reconfigure and recompile the kernel?

Do I need to be in a particular directory e.g. /usr/src/linux etc when I do it?

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Michael
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Post the results of your modprobe and the results of "grep -i RADEON /usr/src/linux/.config" or "zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i RADEON" The latter is preferred because it directly examines the running kernel.

After runni ng startx you should have a file called /var/log/Xorg.0.log , please use wgetpaste on it and and post the URL. " wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log"
Example https://paste.pound-python.org/show/bnAfxb6gAZkDrOZqzPeA/
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: modprobe and X output Reply with quote

Dear Tony

I ran your command:

Code:
grep -i RADEON /usr/src/linux/.config

and got the following output:

Code:
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

I ran modprobe as follows:

Code:
modprobe -c --showconfig

the output is here:

https://paste.debian.net/897811

the Xorg log file output is here:

https://paste.debian.net/897813

When I boot up the gentoo and log into it I can't get the internet connection working with /sbin/dhcpcd - something must be wrong.

So I could not use wgetpaste on it etc.

After running the modprobe and the grep command I logged out and then I rebooted into debian and
then set up the chroot into gentoo and copied the output from the modprobe grep and Xorg log files to the paste area using the debian environment.

Comments appreciated

Regards

Michael
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: modprobe and X output Reply with quote

mikefot wrote:

When I boot up the gentoo and log into it I can't get the internet connection working with /sbin/dhcpcd - something must be wrong.

Try emerge -av r8168
I bet you have the same Realtek chip that I have.

EDIT: Does lspci give a line like this?
Code:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

Is it exactly like that?

Code:
gentoo ~ # equery w r8168
/usr/portage/net-misc/r8168/r8168-8.043.01.ebuild
Looks like I'm running the latest version (~amd)

Last edited by Tony0945 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my machine:

Code:
gentoo ~ # zcat /proc/config.gz |grep -i RADEON                       
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/kaveri_ce.bin radeon/kaveri_me.bin radeon/kaveri_mec2.bin radeon/kaveri_mec.bin radeon/kaveri_pfp.bin radeon/kaveri_rlc.bin radeon/kaveri_sdma.bin radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin radeon/bonaire_vce.bin "
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
It looks like you need to rebuild the kernel.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
I think this because you have no Radeon module.
Please post the output of "lscpu".
I think the wiki has some capitalization problems in the firmware.

Also see this thread. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7954966.html
mikefot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: modprobe and X output Reply with quote

Dear Tony,

Many thanks for your response.

I ran lscpu.

The output was:

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1