Nvidia / OpenGL / Quake 3 / Poor Performance / Linux Native
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Nvidia / OpenGL / Quake 3 / Poor Performance / Linux Native Reply with quote

I figured i'd start a new topic to help clean things up a little bit on the discussion. I'm running Quake 3 in 640x480 and it seems to run choppy and only getting 120 fps and drops to 30... I have a Geforce 3 Ti-200.. In Windows i get 300-500 fps and usualy have to cap it at 125-200.

I've tried with and Without Frame Buffer, VESA, and Riva/NV
It's very strange, The poor FPS are when i have Lightmap's on.. but when i use Vertex Lighting i get the normal FPS, although it's still pretty choppy in both light settings, and is not normal.. it's not the mouse i know that much..

I've been reading some Doc's online about Nvidia and Linux.. and One of the casues of Poor Performance (Slow GL Performance) in their trouble shooting is a conflict with MESA libGL.so and Nvidia..

I do have both nvidia-kernel/glx with opengl-update nvidia setup.

I was wondering if anyone else has had conflicts with MESA's GL and if there is a good way to remove it so only Nvidia's GL is present so there is no way it can be using the wrong library...

this is about all i can come up with as i've seemed to have tried everything else already with no luck... Anyone else have this problem and fix it???
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rember about Q3 but usually you could rename the GL driver that the game came with/using and it would find the NVIDIA driver. You can also look at the info Q3 will spit out in setup on what GL driver it is using. It should say something about NVIDIA Corp. Also you can check to make sure AGP is enabled by "cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status". This will tell you what AGP driver is or isn't running.
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and make sure mtrr is compiled with your kernel. "cat /proc/mtrr".
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuto wrote:
Oh and make sure mtrr is compiled with your kernel. "cat /proc/mtrr".

I tried that cat for the AGP, and it said it was disabled.. i'm guessing that i need to put that ...

Option "NvAGP" 1 in the XF86Config

Ahh i don't have MTRR .. i'll try that now and cross my fingers.. BTW do i need a frame buffer.. Right now i have both VESA and RIVA/NV set..

Everything still runs and loads ok without errors so far..
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!! that did it.. adding the "NvAGP" 1, and the MTRR Everything is running SWEET AS HELL!!!! Thanks man so much!!! been working on this all day.. phewwwwwwwwwww

Hope this also helps anyone else..

Q: Although it's working.. i'm not sure what i need for Console->Frame Buffer..

VESA / VGA or RIVA/NV or am i suspose to have Both??? I have both set on right now... Thanks!!!

I'm asking this becasue i have a weird problem with SIM.. ICQ.. when i click on it.. everything freezes and i get kicked out of KDE... But everything else seems ok...

Didn't have this problem will i did the NvAGP 1 and the MTRR...
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked. Basically without MTRR you were accessing video memory using interrupts which is a lot slower than DMA.

Some people say using kernel AGPGART is better. Also some people can have problems running AGP 4X but run fine with AGP 2X. I would try these and see if it fixes your ICQ problem.
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Oh yeah about frame buffer. I would disable it. It can cause problems if you switch between terminals with X running. I think some have done VESA without any problems so you can try that. I am running NVIDIA frame buffer and it locks X up when I switch back to X. Just been too busy/lazy to disable or try VESA.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you want to use fb for console, here are my experiences:
(I have a tnt2pro card, so a little older than yers.)
I tried the nvidia fb driver but it has big clashes with the nvidia driver.
I tried the vesa driver: all is fine! : so I only have the vesa driver

I put "vga=0x314" in my grub - menu.lst - kernel line for 800x600 res

thus:
kernel /boot/bzImagedef root=/dev/hda6 hdd=ide-scsi vga=0x314 mem=nopentium
for me

0x314 gives you 800x600
0x317 gives you 1024x768 (i believe)
There are resources, to be googled up, for more settings.

BTW: the mem=nopentium option fixes sporadic freezes on my athlon system.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.. Thanks for the Tips!! I will defently try those..

Kabuto wrote:
Glad it worked. Basically without MTRR you were accessing video memory using interrupts which is a lot slower than DMA.

Some people say using kernel AGPGART is better. Also some people can have problems running AGP 4X but run fine with AGP 2X. I would try these and see if it fixes your ICQ problem.

hmm how excatly do you switch from 4x to 2x.. i am in 4x right now..

Hmm anyway to get mouse acceleration.. I'll do some searching also.. Quake 3 feels way to weird without it.. i have to use a 13 sens where in windows i use a 3 and it snaps nice for me.. now it doesn't seem very responsive...
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the nvidia-glx README in /usr/share/doc. It gives some sample parameters when you load the module. You might also be able to just set AGP speed in the BIOS. The README is a good read anyway.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuto wrote:
Check out the nvidia-glx README in /usr/share/doc. It gives some sample parameters when you load the module. You might also be able to just set AGP speed in the BIOS. The README is a good read anyway.

Thanks .. sometimes in all the excitement of getting stuff to actaully work i forget to read all the doc's.. hehe IT seems to be running ok in 4x.. i have it set to that in the bios and and it's set to that when i do a cat.. only thing i've noticed is that the game seems not as responsive once in a while.. can't tell if it's the weird sensitivity of the mouse.. or if it's just not running as sweet as it should.. i'll have to keep playing around with it.. But the FPS are as good if not better then in windows..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: