Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unstable Opera 12 still the only stable one in Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Unstable Opera 12 still the only stable one in Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hi,

before I bother the maintainer with a question that possibly has been asked a hundred times before: Does anybody know why there is no current stable version of the Opera browser in the Gentoo repo?

Release 12.16 is still marked as stable but is AGES old: almost two years! And - it really isn't stable anymore, considering frequent rendering anomalies and crashes on today's - alas - over-scripted websites. Right now I'm working with version 33, but that, like every other version above 12.16, still is ~arch.

Any well-known rumours about this?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing to keep in mind, gentoo does NOT follow upstream on what's marked as stable. General rule of thumb on when something gets marked as stable, is that there isn't too many major bugs open against it, it's well tested, every dependency of the package is already marked as stable (the biggest issue most times), and a dev can be bothered to mark it stable (getting worse from what it looks like on this).

Yes, the first 2 is completely subjective, and can change depending on the dev.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's virtually impossible to stabilize a single version of chromium-opera, for the simple fact upstream goes through version numbers faster than the 30-day waiting period in Gentoo policy.
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
It's virtually impossible to stabilize a single version of chromium-opera, for the simple fact upstream goes through version numbers faster than the 30-day waiting period in Gentoo policy.

in answer to this, the opera package maintainer told me that it would be an interesting view, but completely wrong.
Actually, nobody had filed a stabilization request until I did.
Apart from that, he considers the new opera versions not as stable due to site, UI and even platform conformability issues.

From my (user's) view the old v-12-opera has become less and less usable for many websites, the issues he mentioned are beyond my perception, but that, again, is just my restrained view at it. For anybody who had the same problem: I decided to put opera into my keyword file. Only issue with the new versions (currently: 35.0.2066.68) so far was that I had to disable hardware acceleration, otherwise speed dial would be broken.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: