n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np :lol:
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see there's been progress on this!

BobWya,

I thought I was at least somewhat explicit when I said that “I didn't peruse the logs too deeply; the answer might be there”. Was that not the same reality you were working towards as well? I believe the additional test should not have done any harm, nor lead anyone awry. ^^

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I do apologize if my help seemed unhelpful, or even misleading. That's certainly not intentional, and something I'll work on preventing from happening in the future!

Thank you.
backslashhbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:
As Chiitoo stated there's an issue with how Wine is reading your X / Xinerama multi-monitor setup... A BIG issue (hint: your screen is zero pixel sized)!! :P
Wine talks directly to your X session - it seems to be a "noisy line" in your case... 8)

Since Xinerama somehow does not work well with wine, today I've tried disabling the xinerama flag and rebuilding the relevant packages. It turned out working for my situation.For now it seems harmless. However I do not understand what difference will the change make besides this. Is the change OK? Or saying, what else might be affected by this change?
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backslashhbar wrote:

Since Xinerama somehow does not work well with wine, today I've tried disabling the xinerama flag and rebuilding the relevant packages. It turned out working for my situation.For now it seems harmless. However I do not understand what difference will the change make besides this. Is the change OK? Or saying, what else might be affected by this change?

Ah that question got me thinking... 8O 8) It's something I've delved into very much (TBH)... But I found this awesome Codeweavers article on "How does Linux handle multiple monitors?" (bookmarked!!). Which I'll be pondering over later on today. It's worth reading - even if you only have a single monitor setup. I generally run with an external HDMI display off my laptop - you might run a similar setup yourself one day.

So in summary Xinerama is dead... So I'll probably removing the xinerama wine USE flag as well (as you) and see if Wine runs any better with a custom TwinView setup (see above article).

Your problem was obviously that somehow you ended up with an X configuration that was silently enabling xinerama (perhaps in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ??) - which is no longer actively supported. Plus is a totally useless X extension to use with a single monitor setup!

Bob

OT I've tried out a dual-head setup - but that's a no go with KDE 4 / Plasma 5 - you just end up with one black screen (that's a bit crippled in functionality)!! Just look at the output of a Google search for: "KDE bugzilla dual display" - it's quite long!!
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@backslashhbar

I found this (old) Gentoo thread that was still quite enlightening about the xinerama USE flag: nVidia, X, Dual Monitors, and some WM

tl;dr = you need the +xinerama USE flag globally enabled for any kind of dual display - unless you want apps to run full screen across all your monitors!!

To quote verbatim:
Quote:
Another source of confusion is that the word "xinerama" is used for two very different things. The xinerama USE flag is used to compile into applications the ability to gracefully handle a screen that spans more than one monitor. The same word is also used as a flag inside of xorg.conf for merging two X windows screens into one (inefficiently). So the instructions for twinview users are:

1) DON'T USE XINERAMA (in xorg.conf)

2) DO USE XINERAMA (use flag and then emerge -uDN world)

I think you into problems because Xinerama got enabled in your X conf files. Because then nvidia-driver will not enable TwinView mode and use the legacy Xinerama mode (??). For example if I try and save/preview an sample xorg.conf from my nvidia-settings gui - with a dual display setup - I get:
Code:
Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-3"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-2: nvidia-auto-select +2560+550, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

Hope that helps to clarify things! :? :D

Bob
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: