KDE Plasma 5 after upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: KDE Plasma 5 after upgrade Reply with quote

Hi,

I did the plasma 5 upgrade
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade
and I have some problems

[1] KWallet - I did what was written in the guide in link above
Code:
root #echo "kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta -oldwallet" >> /etc/portage/package.use
root #emerge --ask --oneshot kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta

...and when kde starts KWallet is asking for password for kamil, and I use password from the old kwallet and kmail works, but... when I am trying to use another program I could see again kwallet window (sometimes called kwallet migration), and the password doesn't work :(

[2] I could not set wallpaper, chcangin wallpaper do not change anything - was this function deleted from Plasma 5? As a wallpaper I could only see the background from the kde start-up.

[3] I cannot set activites (add new or change) I have only background (wallpaper) and nothing on it. How to change it on Plasma 5?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: KDE Plasma 5 after upgrade Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
[1] KWallet - I did what was written in the guide in link above
Code:
root #echo "kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta -oldwallet" >> /etc/portage/package.use

...and when kde starts KWallet is asking for password for kamil, and I use password from the old kwallet and kmail works, but... when I am trying to use another program I could see again kwallet window (sometimes called kwallet migration), and the password doesn't work :(

Please, be more precise. I think the kwallet section needs some improvements, anyway.

- What version of kmail are you talking about - latest in-tree revision?
- Either it is the migration wallet which can only appear at startup, and requires your old wallet password to open it for export, then your new one for import
- Or it is 'another program', so what program would that be and what version of it?

Xywa wrote:
[2] I could not set wallpaper, chcangin wallpaper do not change anything - was this function deleted from Plasma 5? As a wallpaper I could only see the background from the kde start-up.

If you see the splash screen background instead of your wallpaper, that's a bug and I'm also seeing it since last ~amd64 X upgrade. What graphics driver is that?
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: KDE Plasma 5 after upgrade Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
- What version of kmail are you talking about - latest in-tree revision?
- Either it is the migration wallet which can only appear at startup, and requires your old wallet password to open it for export, then your new one for import
- Or it is 'another program', so what program would that be and what version of it?

I use latest in-tree kmail. The first window is kwallet for kmail - and the password works. The next kwallet window starts when I open ge. Opera, and then I have two windows asking for password "KDE Wallet migration agent request to open kwallet" and "appilication Opera request to open kwallet" - and password for kwallet doesn't work :(

Maybe this step should be after migration?
Code:

Or maybe is possible to copy file with password, delete entire kwallet file system, start again with a new password, and the copy back file with passwords?

Code:
*  kde-apps/kmail
      Latest version available: 4.14.10
      Latest version installed: 4.14.10

Code:
# emerge -s kwallet

[ Results for search key : kwallet ]
Searching...

*  kde-apps/kwalletd
      Latest version available: 15.08.3
      Latest version installed: 15.08.3
      Size of files: 7,719 KiB
      Homepage:      https://www.kde.org/
      Description:   KDE Password Server
      License:       GPL-2

*  kde-apps/kwalletmanager
      Latest version available: 15.12.1
      Latest version installed: 15.12.1
      Size of files: 447 KiB
      Description:   KDE Wallet management tool

*  kde-frameworks/kwallet
      Latest version available: 5.18.0
      Latest version installed: 5.18.0                                                                                                               
      Size of files: 280 KiB
      Description:   Framework providing desktop-wide storage for passwords
      License:       LGPL-2+

*  kde-plasma/kwallet-pam
      Latest version available: 5.5.4
      Latest version installed: 5.5.4
      Size of files: 16 KiB
      Description:   KWallet PAM module to not enter password again
      License:       LGPL-2.1

[ Applications found : 4 ]
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to read the lines between the code snippets of the guide:
Quote:
KWallet 5 will have to open your wallet from KWallet 4 and import all the data into a new wallet. For that purpose, kde-apps/kwalletd needs to be present at least once in a session after upgrade, but can be removed after migration and when you are sure no legacy package is using it anymore:

Since kmail is still KDE4-based, you still need the old wallet. Though the wording in bold needs improvements...

However, on first start into Plasma-5 you must have set up a new kwallet for kf5-based applications - what password did you choose there?

I had actually no idea Opera is still a thing today, is it possibly using kwallet5 already? What version is it?
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
However, on first start into Plasma-5 you must have set up a new kwallet for kf5-based applications - what password did you choose there?

I had no question about password for kwallet.

genstorm wrote:
I had actually no idea Opera is still a thing today, is it possibly using kwallet5 already? What version is it?

Krusder (ftp client) works fine for example.

Is there any option to reset the password? I cannot change the password in KWalletMnager without opening it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ equery l kwalletmanager

So, the following information we have gathered:
- krusader works (in-tree still KDE4 based)
- kmail works (in-tree still KDE4 based)

Opera does not, so it does something different. But I find it highly unlikely that it is using kwallet5 already. What version, again? Maybe someone more knowledgeable about Opera can confirm?
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ equery l kwalletmanager
 * Searching for kwalletmanager ...
[IP-] [  ] kde-apps/kwalletmanager-15.12.1:5
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then use that program to check if there is already your new wallet in place, and reset your kwallet5 password. I don't know at what point it went wrong.

So, if that works, we could try and have some fun with kwallet-pam and kwalletd-pam so you don't end up entering your passwords all the time.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Then use that program to check if there is already your new wallet in place, and reset your kwallet5 password. I don't know at what point it went wrong.
So, if that works, we could try and have some fun with kwallet-pam and kwalletd-pam so you don't end up entering your passwords all the time.

I did create a new wallet inside a KWalletManager - I am thinking if it is possible to move there an old wallet data.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the wallet migration dialog is about - it migrates your old passwords automatically. But KDE4-based apps will still require your old wallet.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE Plasma 5 after upgrade Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
That's what the wallet migration dialog is about - it migrates your old passwords automatically. But KDE4-based apps will still require your old wallet.
I know, I can even see Kwallet Migration window, but the password doesn't work, so... no idea how to fix it :(

Xywa wrote:
[3] I cannot set activites (add new or change) I have only background (wallpaper) and nothing on it. How to change it on Plasma 5?

To solve partly of this problem, (related to xorg-server, nvidia optimus and intel) it is possible = go to System Settings >> Dispaly and Monitor and use xrandr instead of OpenGL
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this, should be this 'oldwallet' USE flag switch off or switch on before migration?

Code:
# equery u kdebase-runtime-meta
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta-15.08.3-r1:
 U I
 - - oldwallet : Install kde-apps/kwalletd on a minimal setup for migration purposes
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON, obviously ;)
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
ON, obviously ;)

USE oldwallet did not help - what should I delete, to start with the fresh wallet so I could put old password manually?

Quote:
Migration from kdewallet4 to kdewallet5 lets you enter a password for the new wallet. Unfortunatly the password you enter did not work to open the new wallet afterwards. I had this on three systems and I’m sure I did not make a typo three times. The problem got fixed afterwards but the systems upgraded with that bug are somewhat of broken. There is no obvious way to get a new working system wallet.

https://btux1984.wordpress.com/2015/10/15/is-the-kde-5-desktop-stable-enough-for-normal-users-or/
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,

I went into Wallet manager >> I did delete all the wallets >> restart KDE >> set new password for kwallet and everything works fine. [SOLVED]
So I have 2 wallets (old one looks works only for contact, and new one works for everything else).

So can I delete old wallet now, as KWallet section in maual says?
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade

Quote:
KWallet
KWallet 5 will have to open your wallet from KWallet 4 and import all the data into a new wallet. For that purpose, kde-apps/kwalletd needs to be present at least once in a session after upgrade, but is still required for any KDE4-based application that might be using it. Run kde-apps/kwalletmanager to check which applications have been accessing it in the past. If it is clear that no legacy package is using it anymore, it can be removed after migration.

Code:
root #emerge --ask --oneshot kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta && emerge -C kde-apps/kwalletd

Code:
$ emerge -s kwalle

[ Results for search key : kwalle ]
Searching...

*  kde-apps/kwalletd
      Latest version available: 15.08.3
      Latest version installed: 15.08.3
      Size of files: 7,719 KiB
      Description:   KDE Password Server

*  kde-apps/kwalletd-pam
      Latest version available: 5.5.5
      Latest version installed: 5.5.5

*  kde-apps/kwalletmanager
      Latest version available: 15.12.2
      Latest version installed: 15.12.2
      Size of files: 447 KiB
      Description:   KDE Wallet management tool

*  kde-frameworks/kwallet
      Latest version available: 5.19.0
      Latest version installed: 5.19.0
      Size of files: 281 KiB
      Description:   Framework providing desktop-wide storage for passwords
      License:       LGPL-2+

*  kde-plasma/kwallet-pam
      Latest version available: 5.5.5
      Latest version installed: 5.5.5
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. What does the KWallet section say about KDE4-based applications that might be using it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: