Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pruning user config files fixes problems!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freedomlives
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Pruning user config files fixes problems! Reply with quote

Just to throw this out there for anyone else:

For about a year, if not more, I've suffered with dialogs in some applications (gedit, evince, others) not working properly-- file selector dialogs would run the names of folders together without showing spaces (e.g. instead of /home/andrew/work/projects or having each directory name in a box there would just be a glob of text homeandrewworkprojects), radio buttons and check marks wouldn't show when set, etc. All an annoyance that I just lived with occasionally hoping that a full update would solve, re-emerge evince and gedit with different use flags, remerged their dependenvies, etc.

Today I thought about again, created a new user, and started X and voila-- none of these issues for the new user. So on my account I went through all the hidden dot config files and directories (e.g. ~/.conf ) and everyone that I wasn't absolutely sure I needed or didn't need moved to a separate directory (as well as deleting those from software packages I've long ago stopped using). So for instance I left .firefox and .thunderbird because I wasn't having any problems with those and bookmarks and such are stored in there. Some thing, like XFCE settings I didn't bother keeping either because I don't have some super custom desktop so the few differences from default I could quickly re-add. And a few configs I noticed after logging back in that I needed, so I just copied them back.

And now the window decorations are fine! So, if anyone else has a weird problem with a gnome, or kde or gtk application this is just a really simple "spring cleaning" to do and get rid of possibly some old config setting from five years ago that is now screwing everything up! And of course it is a good thing if one is having problems to create a new user and check on a "clean slate" whether the application is working there.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same goes with your /etc/make.conf , /etc/portage/ , etc. cruft...
It is a cost of not having to completely reinstall when a new version of an OS comes out.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good advice! Sometimes it's the simple things...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: