View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapheine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Excessive Memory Consumption with Gnome Reply with quote

A few days ago, when I would start Gnome 2, memory usage would instantly go to about 75% (of 128 megs). Nothing was loaded except what Gnome loads itself. When I checked the memory usage of programs, each one seemed to be taking up a couple megs which added up to 75%. There was no specific program tha took a lot of ram. Also, the memory usage all seemed to be correct (ie: it wasn't like when mozilla is running and top says each thread is taking up X megs when in reality they are all sharing the same memory)

Now the memory usage instantly jumps to 95%. My only thought is that with my optimizations, memory usage increased on each program and since gnome runs so many libraries and programs on startup, maybe they all added up. I was using -march=i686 -O3. If O3 unrolls loops and does inline functions, that may account for it.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Does anyone have a possible solution? I am probably going to recompile everything with -O2 and see if it makes a difference, but I figured I would ask around first.
Q
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: No problems here Reply with quote

I am running gnome 2 in VMWare which usually means slowly but I have been suprised at how well behaved and relatively quick it is.

Its using 150MB of ram with Mozilla and mail running. No leaks that I have noticed.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. Should fix things right up.

If that doesn't work for you, then this might help a little.
kapheine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Try this. Should fix things right up.

If that doesn't work for you, then this might help a little.

Do you think Gnome has really gotten to the point where it uses up 128 megs of ram on startup, though? Another thing which I forgot to mention is the swap isn't being used.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. =)

On my box, without any programs loaded, twm takes 68 megs. (nfs and samba in the background) Flux is slightly more than that. (but it has the advantage of being a usable window manager. :wink:) (fyi- flux takes less memory than bash does :lol:)

Gnome needs quite a chunk of overhead. How much does gtop say your box is using? I tend to trust its numbers more than what wmmemload or top would say.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: