Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
4.3.x DRM_I915_FBDEV ... no framebuffer!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: 4.3.x DRM_I915_FBDEV ... no framebuffer!! Reply with quote

hello ...

I've not been able to build a (3.x) kernel since 3.13.11 (or thereabouts), I'm now able to build 4.3.4 but am completely unable to get a framebuffer. I've built 4.3.4 27 times this morning, all with various combinations of X86_SYSFB, DRM_I915/DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION, FB_SIMPLE, FB_EFI, enabled, disabled, and what-have-you. Nothing but a blackscreen ...

Added to that whoever wrote the "help" for X86_SYSFB and FB_SIMPLE needs shooting, I mean, who can tell me what the "new generic system-framebuffer drivers" are? Apparently such a thing exists, and there are various gotchas with regards to "legacy fbdev drivers [...] not be[ing] able to pick up generic system framebuffers if this option [X86_SYSFB] is selected". So, I should "say Y" and am "highly encouraged" to also enable simplefb.

It doesn't matter however, as no matter what combination of the above I try I get nothing on the display. Previously I had DRM_I915, DRM_I915_KMS, DRM_I915_FBDEV enabled (and nothing under framebuffers =>) and got inteldrmfb, with 4.3.4 there doesn't seem to be any means of getting a famebuffer with a similarly enabled .config ... nor with the "new generic system-framebuffer drivers" (which right now I can only assume is ... singularly ... simplefb).

So, what is it you're supposed to enable to get inteldrmfb ... or *any* framebuffer? Is there some magic combination of options I apparently missed? Can anyone make any sense of the X86_SYSFB "help", and explain what "legacy" and "new generic system framebuffers" mean, or what is being explained?

Thanks in advance ... khay

Last edited by khayyam on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No explanation, sorry. But from gentoo-sources-4.4.0-r1 I have the following:
Quote:
$ grep -i 'drm\|fb_' .config | grep '=y\|=m'
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_MIPI_DSI=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION=y
CONFIG_DRM_I915=y
CONFIG_DRM_PANEL=y
CONFIG_DRM_BRIDGE=y
CONFIG_FB_CMDLINE=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT=y
CONFIG_FB_SYS_FOPS=y

And framebuffer worksforme.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

Simple framebuffer expects to be able to draw in the framebuffer without doing any set up.
It expects that whatever runs before it comes along has done that.

Now, I have no idea what does the setup, or what chipsets it might apply to.

While that may be an interesting factoid, its probably not helping with your problem.
I have an Intel 945 chip on 4.x and its framebuffer works. I can pastebin its .config file if that helps, or you can pastebin yours.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ennui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you booting using BIOS or UEFI? Can you see anything relevant in the initial kernel output during boot from dmesg? For example, my simple framebuffer shows up as:

Code:
[    0.570790] simple-framebuffer simple-framebuffer.0: framebuffer at 0xf9000000, 0x300000 bytes, mapped to 0xffffc90002c00000
[    0.570799] simple-framebuffer simple-framebuffer.0: format=a8r8g8b8, mode=1024x768x32, linelength=4096
[    0.573266] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
[    0.576451] simple-framebuffer simple-framebuffer.0: fb0: simplefb registered!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who've replied so far ... I should probably have emphasised that I think I've tried every possible combination of options, with the 27 builds reflecting that fact. The above post was more a case of my having given up and/or the hope I'd overlooked something ... anyhow:

@charles17 ... those options are exactly as I'd had enabled at the outset, and have since replicated, nothing. As an aside, two pattern searches, I'd generally use the following rather than 'grep | grep' ...

Code:
% awk '!/(^#|^$)/&&/(DRM|FB_)/' /usr/src/linux/.config

@NeddySeagoon ... yes, if you could pastebin your config I can compare ... thanks.

@ennui ... I don't get a framebuffer, so there is nothing to see, and unfortunately I don't have a secondary machine I could use to ssh in and read 'dmesg'. I could probably remedy that fact by getting a loan of a machine but I'm fairly sure the issue isn't simplefb, but that the 'legacy' mechanism no longer works with whatever changes were made in the introduction of X86_SYSFB/SIMPLE_FB. My problem is really the frustration that comes with fact that though experienced, and competent, with building a kernel I simply don't understand the explanation provided, so I can't figure out if the issue is the change itself, or my understanding what I should/shouldn't enable. I'd hoped it might be something I was overlooking ... but having tried everything I can't but come to the conclusion that kernel development is such that if something works its pure luck.

Before anyone suggests a 'git bisect', my last working kernel was 3.13.11 ... I wasn't able to build any other 3.x series since. I'd been waiting for 4.x to be better tested before attempting to build one, and though I can build it I can't get around the above issue ... so, no.

Thanks again & best ... khay
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,
There was a similar problem for me with kernel 3.14.
I had to connect to a VGA monitor (which could stay power off) to see anything on the laptop's built-in screen.

And, thanks for the awk advise. I'm not much experienced with sed and awk :-(
fpemud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered the same problem. I solved it by selecting DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION.

Last edited by fpemud on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
s4e8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

build i915 driver as module, and add it to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Boot new kernel and running "dmesg -n 8; modprobe i915".
genoobish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same driver, and have the same problem. But my 4.3.3 works, the 4.4.0 is the one that despite thousands of attempts (changing kernel config and recompiling) stiil has no framebuffer.

The drm loads however, so X also loads (I have it autologin).

looking at the dmesg, inteldrmfb says it loads:
Code:
[    3.938253] fb: switching to inteldrmfb from simple
[    3.938286] Console: switching to colour dummy device 80x25
[    3.938625] [drm] Replacing VGA console driver
[    3.945193] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[    3.945196] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[    3.945215] [drm] DMAR active, disabling use of stolen memory
[    3.945280] vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:00:02.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=io+mem:owns=io+mem
[    3.955379] ath: phy0: Disable PLL PowerSave
[    3.956746] AVX version of gcm_enc/dec engaged.
[    3.956748] AES CTR mode by8 optimization enabled
[    3.960943] ath: phy0: timeout (1000 us) on reg 0x15f18: 0x00000000 & 0x00000007 != 0x00000004
[    3.963651] ath: phy0: ASPM enabled: 0x42
[    3.963655] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x60
[    3.963657] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
[    3.963659] ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
[    3.963661] ath: Regpair used: 0x60
[    3.969104] ACPI: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post: no)
[    3.973690] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input15
[    3.973765] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20151010 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[    3.990673] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[    3.990860] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9485 Rev:1 mem=0xffffc90001400000, irq=17
[    4.012009] BTRFS info (device sdb3): disk space caching is enabled
[    4.019277] intel_rapl: Found RAPL domain package
[    4.019281] intel_rapl: Found RAPL domain core
[    4.019282] intel_rapl: Found RAPL domain uncore
[    4.036059] fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device

https://bpaste.net/show/5c78ca6e8311

simple framebuffer gives me a screen right before it mounts root. After that, intel takes over and screen goes black.

:roll:
s4e8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IVB require CONFIG_DRM_I915_PRELIMINARY_HW_SUPPORT=y since 4.4.0.
genoobish wrote:
I use the same driver, and have the same problem. But my 4.3.3 works, the 4.4.0 is the one that despite thousands of attempts (changing kernel config and recompiling) stiil has no framebuffer.
:roll:
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpemud wrote:
I encountered the same problem. I solved it by selecting DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION.

fpemud ... which I've had enabled/disabled in combination with every possible X86_SYSFB, SIMPLE_FB, EFI_FB permutation.

s4e8 wrote:
build i915 driver as module, and add it to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Boot new kernel and running "dmesg -n 8; modprobe i915".

s4e8 ... I don't think you understand, I can't get a framebuffer no matter what is sellected/disabled. So, I can't disable i915 and have efifb, or simplefb, provide one ... none of that works.

genoobish wrote:

genoobish ... ahhh ... so this may be something introduced to 4.4 and then backported to 4.3.4, that at least gives me some hope, and narrows down what changelogs I might search. Could you provide a pastebin of your 4.3.3 .config ... thanks.

Again, thanks to all for the comments/suggestions ... khay

ps: @charles17, your welcome, if it isn't clear what that awk is doing then ask, it's fairly simple 'not' the first regex '!/(^#|^$)/' && the next '/(DRM|FB_)/'
s4e8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You means no efifb? Did you enable the CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE
khayyam wrote:
s4e8 ... I don't think you understand, I can't get a framebuffer no matter what is sellected/disabled. So, I can't disable i915 and have efifb, or simplefb, provide one ... none of that works.
ennui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
@ennui ... I don't get a framebuffer, so there is nothing to see, and unfortunately I don't have a secondary machine I could use to ssh in and read 'dmesg'. I could probably remedy that fact by getting a loan of a machine but I'm fairly sure the issue isn't simplefb, but that the 'legacy' mechanism no longer works with whatever changes were made in the introduction of X86_SYSFB/SIMPLE_FB. My problem is really the frustration that comes with fact that though experienced, and competent, with building a kernel I simply don't understand the explanation provided, so I can't figure out if the issue is the change itself, or my understanding what I should/shouldn't enable. I'd hoped it might be something I was overlooking ... but having tried everything I can't but come to the conclusion that kernel development is such that if something works its pure luck.

Hey khay,

Perhaps I misunderstood something, but the system is still bootable, right? You just can't get a display. And you have another working kernel that will give you a display, right?

If this is the case, then assuming you're using OpenRC, I suggest modifying /etc/conf.d/dmesglog, setting log_dmesg="YES" and previous_dmesg=yes. Thus you can boot once on your kernel which is not showing the buffer, capturing the dmesg output in /var/log/dmesg, then boot the kernel which is giving you the display and find the dmesg output in /var/log/dmesg.old.

-N
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ennui wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood something, but the system is still bootable, right? You just can't get a display. And you have another working kernel that will give you a display, right? If this is the case, then assuming you're using OpenRC, I suggest modifying /etc/conf.d/dmesglog, setting log_dmesg="YES" and previous_dmesg=yes. Thus you can boot once on your kernel which is not showing the buffer, capturing the dmesg output in /var/log/dmesg, then boot the kernel which is giving you the display and find the dmesg output in /var/log/dmesg.old.

ennui ... yes, I can boot (blind) so, good idea! I'm a little bit burnt out on the problem right now, and have other more pressing things to look to, but I'll try this shortly. Thanks ...

best ... khay
genoobish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
...Could you provide a pastebin of your 4.3.3 .config ... thanks.

sure: https://bpaste.net/show/c44acc7a646a

edit: I'd like to add that I've also tried the vanilla sources, with same results.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4e8 wrote:
khayyam wrote:

You means no efifb? Did you enable the CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE

s4e8 ... I mean that if I disable/enable one or other (so inteldrmfb, efifb, simplefb in some combination, or individually) I don't get a framebuffer ... and yes FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is enabled.

@genoobish ... thanks, I'll compare with mine.

best ... khay
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run nouveau and radeon but these are what I have set for graphics/fb/console in the .config for 4.3.3

Quote:
#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=m
CONFIG_VGA_ARB=y
CONFIG_VGA_ARB_MAX_GPUS=16
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION=y
CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE=y
CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m

#
# Frame buffer Devices
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
CONFIG_FB_CMDLINE=y
CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT=m
CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA=m
CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT=m
CONFIG_FB_SYS_FOPS=m
CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y

CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_HDMI=y

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK=y
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE=512
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE_COLUMNS=80
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE_ROWS=25
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y

s4e8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efifb is very simple, the kernel just take over the framebuffer and writting pixel to it. If you built all fbdev/drm driver as module except efifb, you should get a visible console, unless the kernel panic very earlier, before fbdev/fbcon initialzed. Kernel panic beforefbdev/ fbcon it's very bad situation, there's no good way to debug it unless you can setup serial console. There's kernel parameter earlyprintk=efi would print some very earlier message, after dummy console take over, and before fbcon/fbdev full initialized, you can't see any error messages.
[quote="khayyam"]
s4e8 wrote:

s4e8 ... I mean that if I disable/enable one or other (so inteldrmfb, efifb, simplefb in some combination, or individually) I don't get a framebuffer ... and yes FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is enabled.
@genoobish ... thanks, I'll compare with mine.
best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible 4.3.x thinks your primary display is different, possibly unconnected?

Might sound insane, but I've seen i915 do insane things in the past: one device (internal LVDS with no external monitor port) thought it had two screens mapped to the same display region for a long time... turns out the kernel driver was at fault there too.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Is it possible 4.3.x thinks your primary display is different, possibly unconnected? Might sound insane, but I've seen i915 do insane things in the past: one device (internal LVDS with no external monitor port) thought it had two screens mapped to the same display region for a long time... turns out the kernel driver was at fault there too.

Ant ... yeah, that is a known snafu with inteldrmfb, providing 'video=SVIDEO-1:d' as a parameter is suposed to resolve it ... though it didn't work in my case.

I've since made some headway, I can now get a framebuffer, the only change being I'd run 'make clean', so it seems to have been an inexplicable build issue. I can get simplefb, or efifb, at boot, when i915 loads subsequently the screen goes blank. I haven't had time to look any further ... tommorow perhaps, I'll report back as and when I get to it.

Thanks again to all for the comments and suggestions ... khay
genoobish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I'vie found a workaround.
I'm able to get the framebuffer if the vga monitor is not connected (wtf) on the 4.5.0-rc2 vanilla(that's the only one I tried though). The vga monitor got accidentally disconnected at boot time just as I was testing with the kernel, it may work with others too though. With just the laptop or the hdmi monitor it works fine.

This is the config: https://bpaste.net/show/c907c7d5b448

And the vga monitor still works fine on X, but if I want to switch to the console, I have to unplug it for the frambuffer to work(the normal behaviour would be that it would mirror the lsvd, and the hdmi would stay blank).
and my dmesg: https://bpaste.net/show/2c872ce7093f

Please, don't tell me your monitor is not vga :lol:
if it is indeed a vga montior, can you test with a digital monitor?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genoobish wrote:

genoobish ... are you sure inteldrmfb is in use? I ask because you have CONFIG_AGP=n (and so CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=n) and CONFIG_DRM_I915 states "AGP support is required for this driver to work" (at least on 4.3.4 and every other kernel I've built).

genoobish wrote:
And the vga monitor still works fine on X, but if I want to switch to the console, I have to unplug it for the frambuffer to work (the normal behaviour would be that it would mirror the lsvd, and the hdmi would stay blank). and my dmesg: https://bpaste.net/show/2c872ce7093f

I can't attatch an external display, I don't have the required connector (its an macbook1,1 with apple's dumb "Mini DisplayPort"). Note in that dmesg:

Code:
fb: switching to inteldrmfb from simple
[...]
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20151218 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0

... which boogles the mind ...

I haven't really had time to look further, I'd expect not to have to waste so much time on a suposedly "stable" kernel ... and if it looks like I need to go to 4.5.0-rc2 then I'd rather not.

Thanks & best ... khay
s4e8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGP is optional since 3.14:
00fe639 drm/i915: Make AGP support optional
khayyam wrote:
genoobish wrote:

genoobish ... are you sure inteldrmfb is in use? I ask because you have CONFIG_AGP=n (and so CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=n) and CONFIG_DRM_I915 states "AGP support is required for this driver to work" (at least on 4.3.4 and every other kernel I've built).
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4e8 wrote:
AGP is optional since 3.14: 00fe639 drm/i915: Make AGP support optional

s4e8 ... oh ... well, the help for CONFIG_DRM_I915 states otherwise. This might explain the various issues above, I have PCIe, and not AGP, and if changed I imagine they are nolonger compatible options.

thanks for the heads up ... khay
genoobish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
s4e8 wrote:
AGP is optional since 3.14: 00fe639 drm/i915: Make AGP support optional

s4e8 ... oh ... well, the help for CONFIG_DRM_I915 states otherwise. This might explain the various issues above, I have PCIe, and not AGP, and if changed I imagine they are nolonger compatible options.

thanks for the heads up ... khay

I didn't read the help for the i915 driver before disabling it, I simply thought that a system with integrated graphics wouldn't need it. It seems to make no difference no difference in my setup.

khayyam wrote:
I can't attatch an external display, I don't have the required connector (its an macbook1,1 with apple's dumb "Mini DisplayPort").

The thing is that in my case the vga monitor being plugged in is what caused the framebuffer to go blank while apparently being fine. Unplugging it made the framebuffer work properly with either the hdmi monitor or the laptop internal monitor. So it seems to be something else, or something "half-fixed" in the rc2 kernel...?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: