Yakuake does not respond to shortcuts, Konsole does
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taikuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Yakuake does not respond to shortcuts, Konsole does Reply with quote

Hi!

I have been fighting this issue for a couple of days now. I am on a fresh installation of Gentoo on my new laptop, and yakuake does not respond to shortcuts like:
Ctrl+Shift+V (for pasting) Ctrl+Shift+C (for copying) or Ctrl+Shift+T (to open a new session).

I transferred my whole user home from my old machine which was also running Gentoo and yakuake was running fine. Both machines run the same version: kde-misc/yakuake-2.9.9-r3:4::gentoo

Until now I have:
1.-I have tried set up different shortcuts just to see if the standard ones where being caught by another piece of software. No luck.
2.-I have tried Konsole (yakuake uses konsole underneath) and everything works fine there.
2.-I have tried emerging and umerging kde-apps/kglobalaccel

Any ideas of where the issue could be? I am forgetting something obvious?

Thanks!
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been this way for some time. I switched to the live ebuild but it still exists there too. I had to change some of the shortcuts to not use the "shift" and it works. If you look at some of the shortcuts like split it is "Ctrl+(" which actually would require a "Shift" to get the "(", I changed these to ctrl+9 and ctrl+0 for now. I think there is some strange interaction of how it is trying to use shift or not shift. I can't say I've noticed it in other programs and like you said konsole works fine.

I was trying to find a specific kde bug about this but I only found a reference to keyboard layouts needing your specific keyboard listed first (systemsettings>input>layouts) in order for the shortcuts to work properly. I tested that and the default split view works again but copy and paste doesn't work with shortcuts. Haven't restarted to see if a fresh login helps.
taikuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi firephoto!

Thanks for the info! I am going to keep fighting with it to see if I can find a solution.

Jose
taikuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One update:

I created my own version from the source code with the same results.

If run it from a terminal, I get:
Code:

yakuake(7116): Couldn't start knotify from knotify4.desktop:  "Could not find service 'knotify4.desktop'."

yakuake(7116)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting notify daemon "The name org.kde.knotify was not provided by any .service files"

It seems that yakuake can not connect to the knotify daemon. I am running plasma 5, so probably yakuake has not been completely ported to plama 5.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakuake does not have a kf5-based release at all. I guess kdebase-runtime-meta is missing from your system?

If you install knotify, does it help?
taikuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Genstorm!

Thanks for your suggestion.

I installed kde-apps/knotify and kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta but I had no success.

It could be a KDE4 library that I haven't installed yet. I am going to take a look to what is missing. I will report with my findings.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on KF5, this version does respond to all shortcuts you mentioned, at least on my system:
Code:
 ~ $ eix -I yakuake
[I] kde-misc/yakuake
     Available versions: 
     (4)    2.9.9-r3
     (5)    (**)9999[1]
       {aqua debug LINGUAS="ca ca@valencia cs da de el en_GB es et fi fr ga gl hr hu it km ko nb nds nl nn pa pl pt pt_BR ro ru sk sr sr@ijekavian sr@ijekavianlatin sr@latin sv th tr uk wa zh_CN zh_TW"}
     Installed versions:  9999(5)[1](05:41:06 20.01.2016)(-debug)
     Homepage:            http://yakuake.kde.org/
     Description:         Quake-style terminal emulator based on konsole

[1] "kde" /var/lib/layman/kde
It is not perfect to have to install a live version, but until an official release makes it into the tree, it at least does the job.
taikuus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried downloading the yakuake source code, compile it my self with no luck.

I logged in as a different user and there yakuake was working correctly, so I removed the configuration files from my user account and yakuake works well again.
There is no need to use the live ebuild; kde-misc/yakuake-2.9.9-r3:4::gentoo works well, it might be some incompatibility between an old version of its configuration file.

Unfortunately I wasn't clever enough to keep the old .kde4 and .kde config dirs to do a diff and find out what was different. Arggg!! :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: