[Solved] LXDM doesn't load user config/preferences/dotfiles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astronome
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: [Solved] LXDM doesn't load user config/preferences/dotfiles Reply with quote

I'm using Openbox as a window manager and PCManFM as the desktop manager, which enables the icons and wallpaper on the desktop. I don't have a ~/.xinitrc file, instead I set XSESSION in /etc/env.d/90xsession:

Code:

XSESSION="openbox"

I use ~/.bash_profile to start X on tty1:

Code:

if [[ -f ~/.bashrc ]]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
fi

if [[ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]]; then
    exec startx
fi

This works really well. Now, I'd like to use a display manager. But when I log in from LXDM there are a couple problems:

1. I have icons on the desktop but the trash shortcut is missing, and the option to enable it in desktop preferences is disabled (grayed out).
2. My ~/.Xresources is not loaded, which causes colored text in urxvt to be all garbled, making it totally unusable.

After installing LXDM, I added it to the default runlevel:

Code:

$ rc-update add xdm default

I set DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/conf.d/xdm:

Code:

# We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
# to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should ensure
# that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this check to
# ensure that you haven't accidentally configured something to run on the VT
# in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
CHECKVT=7

# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | gpe | entrance ]
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
DISPLAYMANAGER="lxdm"

Finally, I set the session in /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf:

Code:

session=/usr/bin/openbox-session

(The rest of lxdm.conf can be seen here: https://bpaste.net/show/2ea865a00ed0)

What do I need to do differently?

Last edited by Astronome on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.bash_profile is a Bash source file for login shells. Personnally, I would not use it to start X. You may need to do something else than start X onn tty1 what you cannot do with your .bash_profile.

I touch the less as possible system configuration files like /etc/env.d/90xsession. I use ~/.bashrc instead sourced by my ~/.bash_profile for login shells or by any terminal when already login. System files change with upgrade. ~/.xinitrc is really a good file to personnalise your X session when already login in a virtual terminal in character or framebuffer mode.

When you log in with a display manager, the file ~/.xsessionrc of the user who open an X session is read. This is the place where you can personnalise your X session, for example load .Xresources with xrdb. To personnalise your desktop environment, you can use the Openbox configuration tools.

Just remember that the X default configuration can be overwrite by the personnalisation in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf , who can be overwrite by the user personnalisation in .xinitrc or .xsessionrc, who can be overwrite by the desktop environment personnalisation and at the end by you during the X session.
Astronome
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
.bash_profile is a Bash source file for login shells. Personnally, I would not use it to start X. You may need to do something else than start X onn tty1 what you cannot do with your .bash_profile.

I see your point. I was following advice from ArchWiki.

Quote:
I touch the less as possible system configuration files like /etc/env.d/90xsession... System files change with upgrade.

In this case there is only one window manager on the system and I am the administrator, so it makes sense to set it at as the default at the system level. Also, isn't /etc/env.d/ protected by CONFIG_PROTECT?

Quote:
When you log in with a display manager, the file ~/.xsessionrc of the user who open an X session is read. This is the place where you can personnalise your X session, for example load .Xresources with xrdb.

I tried creating a file at ~/.xinitrc and symlinking it to ~/.xsessionrc, but it was not being read for some reason. I also tried ~/.xsession. Finally, I was able to get ~/.xprofile to work. Again following advice from ArchWiki.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: