Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] Trivial DHCP problem; but can't figure it out....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arrummzen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: [solved] Trivial DHCP problem; but can't figure it out.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is a bit embarrassing. I want to setup a trivial network. I have a few hosts connected to an unmanaged switch. I want to configure one host to act as a simple DHCP server to hand out IP address to the others. I don't need DNS or even routing! Sounds simple right? But after several hours I have nothing to show...

Here's what I tried: on the server, I put "config_eth0="192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.0.255"" in /etc/conf.d/net to statically assign IP address 192.168.0.1. That worked!

But, I then tried (1) dnsmasq. For dnsmasq I created the configuration file:
Code:

dhcp-range=192.168.0.100,192.168.0.250,72h
interface="eth0"

in /etc/dnsmasq.conf
I then started the service. No errors are reported, however the other hosts are not able to obtain IP addresses!

Second, I tried the ISC DHCPD.
/etc/conf.d/dhcpd:
Code:

DHCPD_IFACE="eth0"
IFACE="192.168.0.1"
INTERFACES="eth0"

/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
Code:

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
#       option routers                  192.168.1.254;                                                                                                     
       option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
#       option domain-search              "example.com";                                                                                                   
#       option domain-name-servers       192.168.1.1;                                                                                                     
#       option time-offset              -18000;     # Eastern Standard Time                                                                               
       range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.200;
}

I started the services and then tried to request an IP address on a second host. But they weren't able to get one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! My desired configuration is so trival. It should take like three lines. But I can't figure it out. No errors, but no success :-(

Best,
James

EDIT: actually, I used this for ISC DHCPD
Code:

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
#       option routers                  192.168.1.254;                                                                                                     
       option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
#       option domain-search              "example.com";                                                                                                   
#       option domain-name-servers       192.168.1.1;                                                                                                     
#       option time-offset              -18000;     # Eastern Standard Time                                                                               
       range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.200;
}

EDIT: Ok, figured it out. The host wasn't plugged into the switch. Please forget my shame :-/
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: [solved] Trivial DHCP problem; but can't figure it out.. Reply with quote

arrummzen wrote:
Ok, figured it out. The host wasn't plugged into the switch. Please forget my shame :-/

Lul; we already have, but I doubt you will any time soon ;-)

The old networking goody: "Have you plugged it in?" hehe

Don't feel bad: I knew some network engineers in the mid-90s, who got paid hundreds of pounds to drive out to places, and nine times out of ten when they got there, a cable was unplugged; all they had to do was plug it in, and go home, again charging for the time.

It's more embarrassing when it's the power-cable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: