View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Nvidia driver that supports my card is 352.68 (~amd64) which I just tried. Still no wobbly windows or desktop cube :evil: .
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
The latest Nvidia driver that supports my card is 352.68 (~amd64) which I just tried. Still no wobbly windows or desktop cube :evil: .

Ah sorry, I feel your pain - about legacy drivers!! My ol' 8800 GTX definitely needs a refresh at some point :wink:
Mind you the Desktop Cube effect appears to be just missing support with Nvidia cards/ drivers at present. I suppose I could bump to the 361 drivers...
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
moonchilde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I noted a month(?) or so about some nvidia-driver issues and funky egl issues. I found that running eglgears_x11 worked if opengl was set to X but not nvidia, even though nvidia 355 had full egl support. Now that driver 361 included a vendor neutral GL component, kwin with composite effects using the egl backend started working. sddm also showed up fine. I tried running eglgears_x11 again but still had the same black screen bug issue. Driver 361.18-r1 came out, and now eglgears_x11 works.

I mentioned it because KDE seemed to have disabled the GLX backend once it switched to egl by default, and I was no longer able to select GLX. I thought maybe mesa was somehow taking over nvidia's EGL implementation, but that doesn't seem to be the case and it seems more likely a nvidia bug of some sort since once they went vendor neutral, egl started working. Or, they fixed an egl bug, which was also noted on the 361 release.

The only problem with all this is that while kwin and egl effects all work, I still have no desktop since it all shows up as a black screen. I can still use kwin fine, I can right click and use kwin context menus, but no desktop. The desktop is there, but not visible. If I click the start button, I can see an outline of sorts pop up and disappear. Most every window is displayed properly when using kwin over egl now, the only exception I have found is when using the context menu to set the Desktop Settings for plasma, which shows up black and empty. This leads me to believe that kwin is finding egl but plasma is not. Of course, switching to X's opengl implementation, everything shows up right :(

I read somewhere that a nvidia developer noted qt isn't correctly using some stuff.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think my topic is related to this problem/post?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1038956-highlight-.html

Do you think I should recompile some package without gles2?
Quote:
As a fellow Gentoo user I would highly recommend against using OpenGL ES for the time being. I’ve tried both with Plasma 5.4 and GLES is just asking for trouble right now. For a much more stable Plasma experience compile without gles2: USE=”-gles2″ for mesa, kwin, qt*

https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/11/the-return-of-kwin_gles/

Code:
# equery h gles2
 * Searching for USE flag gles2 ...
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-5.5.1-r1:5
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtgui-5.5.1:5
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtmultimedia-5.5.1-r2:5
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtopengl-5.5.1:5
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtprintsupport-5.5.1:5
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtquick1-5.5.1-r1:5
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwidgets-5.5.1-r1:5
[IP-] [  ] kde-apps/kdenlive-15.12.1:5
[IP-] [  ] kde-frameworks/plasma-5.18.0:5/5.18
[IP-] [  ] kde-plasma/kwin-5.5.4:5
[IP-] [  ] media-libs/mesa-11.1.1:0
[IP-] [  ] x11-apps/mesa-progs-8.3.0:0
[IP-] [  ] x11-libs/cairo-1.14.6:0
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did check that sddm is part of the video group?
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
Do you think my topic is related to this problem/post?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1038956-highlight-.html

Do you think I should recompile some package without gles2?

Ironically since I wrote that response I've opened a bug about the issue... dev-qt/qt*:5 - Enhancement: +egl , +opengl USE flags function are quite ambiguous

The tl;dr summary is that if you enable the +gles2 (or +egl) for your dev-qt/*:5 packages then you enable mobile EGL/GLES GL support but also disable all Desktop GL support for all Qt5 applications... Probably not what you want when using the Nvidia proprietary driver (no really you DON'T want this)!!

I chased back the linked, closed bug that were mentioned by a responder to my bug report (see link above)... This issue has been going round in circles since last year (with bug reports linking back to previous bug reports). There is no chance of a sane solution like a +desktopgl USE flag - balancing the egl/gles2 USE flags - being introduced... :roll:

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for making a mess, I put my question in the wrong topic.

I have rebuild those package without gles2, system works, but did not solve my problem (black screen with nvidia), which I found are related to xorg-server 1.18.1 and nvidia Optimus:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1038828-highlight-.html
and should be solved with xorg-server 1.18.1-3
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
Sorry for making a mess, I put my question in the wrong topic.

I have rebuild those package without gles2, system works, but did not solve my problem (black screen with nvidia), which I found are related to xorg-server 1.18.1 and nvidia Optimus:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1038828-highlight-.html
and should be solved with xorg-server 1.18.1-3

Yeah, I just read through that thread.... I use Arch-Linux a bit (it's the OS running on my NAS}... The -3 is equivalent to a Gentoo package revision number _r3 i.e. it's an Arch-Linux only build script revision - for the Upstream version 1.18.1 ... So you'd have copy the changes over from the Arch-Linux PKGBUILD script to the equivalent Gentoo ebuild...

Bob
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: