View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the detailed explanation. this leads me to another question. but i should really start another thread, as my question is a bit tangential
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only read the first post but my root without any distfiles uses 20gb, i had it down to 12gb, but 20gb without distfiles and a home directory with a few files is kinda minimum.

in general 60-80gB minimum needed for a working gentoo

considering you do not use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage /var/log ... and other folders

Gentoo is not a binary distro, so you need lots of space to build some packages like libreoffice (8gb or so diskspace), distfiles ~20gb sometimes, when you do not delete yourself var/tmp/portage, and packages fails ...

120gb ssd here, was last september 45 euro on a popular merchandise page
320gb plater drive half of that price ...

one kernel source needs ~1.2gb here (and you have to ahve at least one installed for some packages to build)
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a fully updated working gentoo install with lxqt.

Code:
 $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/sda3       8.0G  4.8G  2.5G  66% /
tmpfs           303M  484K  303M   1% /run
shm             1.5G     0  1.5G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda5        51G  376M   49G   1% /home
tmpfs           3.0G   16K  3.0G   1% /tmp
tmpfs           3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /var/tmp/portage

Code:
$ sudo du -sh /usr/portage
Password:
1.8G    /usr/portage

Code:
 $ sudo du -sh /usr/src
840M    /usr/src

without portage or kernel sources, my gentoo takes up 2.16g diskspace, and i'm still trying to prune it down ;) lol you guys must think me crazy

Last edited by josephg on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:
[...] without portage and kernel sources, my root fs takes up 2.16gb diskspace, and i'm still trying to prune it down ;)

josephg ... you could trim a further 80mb (perhaps more) by getting rid of the python:3.x slot(s) and all the python modules built additionally for the slot.

/etc/portage/make.conf:
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

/etc/portage/package.mask:
dev-lang/python:3.3
dev-lang/python:3.4

Code:
# eselect python list
# eselect python set {n} # where '{n}' is whatever number python2.7 is under.
# emerge --deep --changed-use @world
# emerge --depclean --ask

Perhaps too late now but you could have started from a uClibc stage3 and saved some space, or, if you really wanted 'minimal', used '--root=/path' and '--root-deps=rdeps' so that the resulting root is without build-time dependencies. There is also FEATURES="noman noinfo nodoc", if you can do without man, info and docs (respectively), or you might save some space with a different compression via PORTGE_COMPRESS, and PORTGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS. So, there are many other possible avenues of using gentoo to build minimal installs.

BTW:

du -hs --exclude=source ~/aboriginal/:
72M /home/khayyam/aboriginal

... that is an x86 Aboriginal Linux ... a uClibc based buildroot (capable of rebuilding itself).

best ... khay
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
you could trim a further 80mb (perhaps more) by getting rid of the python:3.x slot(s) and all the python modules built additionally for the slot.

/etc/portage/make.conf:

Code:
# eselect python list

thank you khay. i was going to ask about all those versions of python floating around on my system. i have already eselect set python2.7. even then i have other python versions installed. i guess that wasn't enough.. i also have to mask those other versions. i'm going to do this now. hopefully this won't break anything i shouldn't be able to recover.

khayyam wrote:
Perhaps too late now but you could have started from a uClibc stage3 and saved some space

it is never too late to learn! i did see that uclibc stage3 and sat thinking for quite a while, but didn't exactly understand what might be different from the handbook. if stable, i will definitely use for my next installs. do i need to be aware of how this would do something different from the wiki documents?

i also get rid of all the utilities busybox can substitute.

khayyam wrote:
if you really wanted 'minimal', used '--root=/path' and '--root-deps=rdeps' so that the resulting root is without build-time dependencies.

sorry you lost me here. where do i use this?
when you say without dependencies, do you mean everything is static?

khayyam wrote:
There is also FEATURES="noman noinfo nodoc", if you can do without man, info and docs (respectively), or you might save some space with a different compression via PORTGE_COMPRESS, and PORTGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS.

i didn't know about any of these flags. i assume all these flags go in make.conf.

i USE="-doc" in my make.conf. is that different from this FEATURES="nodoc"?

btrfs has on-the-fly filesystem compression, which is very efficient saving time writing/reading from disk. i'm waiting for a stable bcachefs, which i understand is even more efficient than btrfs.

khayyam wrote:

... that is an x86 Aboriginal Linux ... a uClibc based buildroot (capable of rebuilding itself)

this is most impressive. even more so, when you say "capable of rebuilding itself"!!
i am ambitious, but not that much right now. but it is something i might try at some stage. what do you use this for.. rescue system, gaming??
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:
khayyam wrote:
you could trim a further 80mb (perhaps more) by getting rid of the python:3.x slot(s) and all the python modules built additionally for the slot.[...]

thank you khay. i was going to ask about all those versions of python floating around on my system. i have already eselect set python2.7. even then i have other python versions installed. i guess that wasn't enough.. i also have to mask those other versions. i'm going to do this now. hopefully this won't break anything i shouldn't be able to recover.

josephg ... you're welcome. They need to be masked as python is slotted, and so any keyworded package will get pulled in. Nothing should break, because nothing explictly needs 3.x ... and 2.7 is installed. I'm not 100% sure of my instructions as I purged the 3.x slot some time back (and can't exactly remember the procedure I'd followed), should work, but if by chance you run into issues, ask.

josephg wrote:
khayyam wrote:
Perhaps too late now but you could have started from a uClibc stage3 and saved some space

it is never too late to learn! i did see that uclibc stage3 and sat thinking for quite a while, but didn't exactly understand what might be different from the handbook. if stable, i will definitely use for my next installs. do i need to be aware of how this would do something different from the wiki documents?

I can't say as I've not read the handbook for some time, and so don't know what might have been adjusted subseqent to the uclibc-stage3's being marked "stable". When I've built in the past the most substancial difference is in terms of locale/iconv/nls ... that still seems to be the case from this recent post. Note there was/is a README and HOWTO under the uclibc-stage3 that should provide some clues to how to proceed ... and I was able to work out the issues so I'm sure I could probably give you some help if the need arises.

josephg wrote:
i also get rid of all the utilities busybox can substitute.

I wouldn't, not unless you really want embeded 'minimal', util-linux, coreutils, findutils, etc, don't take up that much space and though the busybox equivelents are fairly good you will likely run-a-cropper if using 'ash' as 'bash' (specifically for portage), and not all initscripts work well with busybox/ash (though that isn't a showstopper).

josephg wrote:
khayyam wrote:
if you really wanted 'minimal', used '--root=/path' and '--root-deps=rdeps' so that the resulting root is without build-time dependencies.

sorry you lost me here. where do i use this? when you say without dependencies, do you mean everything is static?

I was providing you with an example of one of the methods portage supports, you can build and have the build installed to a root=/path (so, a chroot, or what-have-you). No, its not 'static', the host is building the --root=/path target, and the target doesn't need to contain build-time dependencies (ie, all the packages needed to build the target), only runtime.

josephg wrote:
khayyam wrote:
There is also FEATURES="noman noinfo nodoc", if you can do without man, info and docs (respectively), or you might save some space with a different compression via PORTGE_COMPRESS, and PORTGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS.

i didn't know about any of these flags. i assume all these flags go in make.conf.

Yes, in the FEATURES variable ... see: man make.conf | less -p 'FEATURES'

josephg wrote:
i USE="-doc" in my make.conf. is that different from this FEATURES="nodoc"?

Yes, USE="-doc" will control the installation of package specific documentation, FEATURES="nodoc" will exclude all the contents of /usr/share/doc (so, README.txt, INSTALL.txt, HACKING.txt, etc, etc). It's effectively an "INSTALL_MASK" for /usr/share/doc ... you could effect something similar with the following:

/etc/portage/make.conf:
INSTALL_MASK="${INSTALL_MASK}
HACKING.bz2 TODO.bz2 INSTALL.bz2"

... or, really, whatever you wanted to 'MASK', so adding 'INSTALL_MASK="${INSTALL_MASK} /usr/share/gtk-doc' would completely nix anything installed to that path.

josephg wrote:
khayyam wrote:

... that is an x86 Aboriginal Linux ... a uClibc based buildroot (capable of rebuilding itself)

this is most impressive. even more so, when you say "capable of rebuilding itself"!! i am ambitious, but not that much right now. but it is something i might try at some stage. what do you use this for.. rescue system, gaming??

I use it to build lightweight initramfs ...

du -hs /usr/src/initramfs/sourceroot:
2.8M    /usr/src/initramfs/sourceroot

2.8M uncompressed (with lvm2, cryptsetup, busybox, dropbear, init, etc).

best ...khay
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, my laptop gentoo WITH distfiles is around 15Gb. I guess I am careful having installed only what I need, but I haven't made any specific space saving steps.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
you could trim a further 80mb (perhaps more) by getting rid of the python:3.x slot(s) and all the python modules built additionally for the slot.

/etc/portage/make.conf:

Code:
# eselect python list

on my first attempt, nothing happened. as in, none of the emerges did anything. so i checked whether i actually had any python3x, and i had. then i realised that i had missed your very first instruction re PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" in make.conf. now the emerges did something. they gave me a long list of packages, which were compiled with all versions of python. i checked the package files, and indeed those packages had each python version generated.

the emerge successfully removed python3x, leaving python2_7 as default package by package, till it reached libboost (if i remember right). i got a long list of compiler errors, before emerge quit. i ran it multiple times with the same result. each time it failed at libboost (if i remember right).

i had a few doubts at this stage, and wondered if portage emerges everything, who will emerge portage. but then i thought what the heck.. i don't have much to loose. if i have to bork gentoo, i might as well do it now, than a few months later. and if i had to reinstall, it'd give me a chance to start again with uclibc ;)

i then had a look at portage. mine has PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 (-pypy) -python3_3 (-python3_5). my portage seems to be python3_4, which seems to be my default, even though eselect shows me python2_7 as default. i have this following news item.

Code:
$ eselect news read 9
2015-07-25-python-targets
  Title                     Python 3.4 enabled by default
  Author                    Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org>
  Posted                    2015-07-25
  Revision                  1

Python 3.4 is now enabled by default, replacing Python 3.3 as the
default Python 3 interpreter.

PYTHON_TARGETS will be adjusted to contain python2_7 and python3_4 by
default via your profile.

PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET will remain set to python2_7 by default.

If you have PYTHON_TARGETS set in make.conf, that setting will still be
respected. You may want to adjust this setting manually.

Once the changes have taken place, a world update should take care of
reinstalling any python libraries you have installed. You should also
switch your default python3 interpreter using eselect python.

For example:

eselect python set --python3 python3.4
emerge -uDv --changed-use @world

and then i thought if i emerged portage with python2_7 successfully and move it to 2.7 as default from 3.4, that should take care of the rest. so i emerge portage. partway through portage broke, with lots of error messages. i couldn't emerge it again, or do anything with it. neither could i emerge anything else.

so i tried a backtrack, and undid all the config changes. then tired to emerge portage on it's own, which was successful. so i emerged libboost (if i remember right) which worked as well. following that i emerged the world again. and now gentoo is back up & running. and i have all those pythons for all those packages back again.

it's been a long night, and i had quite a lot of time to think.. i have an outstanding question from this episode.. you don't have to answer this in any detail. just a simple one-liner or two should be okay.

how do you emerge portage? does it emerge itself???
if gentoo broke, as in portage got trashed or something, is there a standard process to revive it?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg ... some things are not clear in the above, when switching to python2.7 nothing should be effected as all packages are build with PYTHON_TARGET="python2_7 python3_x". Everything is in place, the only reason some packages are re-merged is because '--changed-use' is triggered, PYTHON_TARGETS being a use_expand.

josephg wrote:
how do you emerge portage? does it emerge itself??? if gentoo broke, as in portage got trashed or something, is there a standard process to revive it?

sys-apps/portage has dependencies (python, sandbox, bash, etc) if you break any of these, or portage, then you would need to use a binpkg and untar it into / in order to resolve the issue (which is basically that of bootstraping). So, yes, it can break, but its unlikely you will have broken it by changing PYTHON_TARGETS (again, python2.7 was untouched when re-merging).

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg,

The backstop to a broken Gentoo is Fix My Gentoo
Its only needed in the most extreme cases.

There are a few ways you can destroy a Gentoo install that you can't recover but that takes a special talent.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you NeddySeagoon. something like this is nice to know, before i actually have a need for it.

yes khay, i agree with you. and it makes sense to me. hence why, i wanted to attempt it. and i tried mutliple times with different permutations, ie emerging them all together vs individually.

i think i found the troublesome bit from last night, or early this morning ;)
i had another go at this just now, for just this package. partway through just before it finished, my system just about hung.. mouse stuck, keyboard stuck. which happened last night too. what is this package?

see if this makes sense?

Code:
# emerge -pv boost
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1  USE="nls threads -context -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_3"

# PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" emerge -atvq boost
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1  USE="nls threads -context -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python3_3 -python3_4*"

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1::gentoo
>>> Failed to emerge dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1, Log file:
>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1/temp/build.log'
>>> Jobs: 0 of 1 complete, 1 failed                 Load avg: 5.87, 2.83, 1.29
 * Package:    dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1
 * Repository: gentoo
 * Maintainer: cpp@gentoo.org
 * USE:        abi_x86_32 elibc_glibc kernel_linux nls python_targets_python2_7 threads userland_GNU x86
 * FEATURES:   preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
 * Applying boost-1.51.0-respect_python-buildid.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.51.0-support_dots_in_python-buildid.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.48.0-no_strict_aliasing_python2.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.48.0-disable_libboost_python3.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.48.0-python_linking.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.48.0-disable_icu_rpath.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.55.0-context-x32.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.55.0-tools-c98-compat.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.52.0-threads.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.56.0-build-auto_index-tool.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.55.0-variadic-templates.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying boost-1.56.0-atomic.patch ...
 [ ok ]
 * Will copy sources from /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1/work/boost_1_56_0
 * abi_x86_32.x86: copying to /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1/work/boost_1_56_0-abi_x86_32.x86
 * abi_x86_32.x86: running multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile
b2 --user-config=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1/work/boost_1_56_0-abi_x86_32.x86/user-config.jam gentoorelease -j4 -q -d+2 --disable-icu boost.locale.icu=off --without-mpi --without-context --without-coroutine pch=off --boost-build=/usr/share/boost-build --prefix="/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1/image/usr" --layout=system threading=multi link=shared --without-python
Performing configuration checks

- has_icu builds           : no
warning: Graph library does not contain MPI-based parallel components.
note: to enable them, add "using mpi ;" to your user-config.jam
    - zlib                     : yes
    - x86                      : yes
    - compiler-supports-ssse3  : yes
    - lockfree boost::atomic_flag : yes
    - compiler-supports-avx2   : yes
    - gcc visibility           : yes
    - long double support      : yes

Building the Boost C++ Libraries.

- iconv (libc)             : yes

Component configuration:

- atomic                   : building
    - chrono                   : building
    - container                : building
    - context                  : not building
    - coroutine                : not building
    - date_time                : building
    - exception                : building
    - filesystem               : building
    - graph                    : building
    - graph_parallel           : building
    - iostreams                : building
    - locale                   : building
    - log                      : building
    - math                     : building
    - mpi                      : not building
    - program_options          : building
    - python                   : not building
    - random                   : building
    - regex                    : building
    - serialization            : building
    - signals                  : building
    - system                   : building
    - test                     : building
    - thread                   : building
    - timer                    : building
    - wave                     : building

the above is just the first few lines. rest is at http://bpaste.net/show/daf51be15429

Last edited by josephg on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg,

Posts are limited to 64kB.

Please use wgetpaste to put /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1/temp/build.log onto a pastobin.
If the log is gone because /var/tmp/portage is in tmpfs you will need to rebuild boost to get the log.

Is /var/tmp/portage full when it fails ?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the previous gotcha.. didn't realise it. i've updated the post above.

Code:
$ df -h | grep portage
tmpfs           3.0G  1.2G  1.9G  39% /var/tmp/portage

there seems to be enough space now. but perhaps i should check that when my system hangs.. but i guess i can't at that time. and then soon after systems returns back, emerge crashes.

i just emerge wgetpaste successfully. so i think emerge is still functioning.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg,

Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

That's a bad sign.

Can you repeat it in exactly the same place?
If you put /var/tmp/portage on a normal filesysem does that help?
Does MAKEOPTS="-j1" help?
boost is a big package.

My main thoughts are overheating and running out of RAM.
Do you have swap - how much?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

That's a bad sign.

last night i reverted everything back, and emerged everything back successfully.
now after i tried this to show you, i can't emerge boost back again even normally, even after i took out the prefixes. so i --depclean it along with gstreamer which had it as dependency.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Can you repeat it in exactly the same place?
If you put /var/tmp/portage on a normal filesysem does that help?
Does MAKEOPTS="-j1" help?

do you want me to try with PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" or without? right now both end up crashing.

i suppose i can. if i unmount /var/tmp/portage, then it should become a normal directory. and i'll MAKEOPTS="-j1" as well.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
boost is a big package.

that could be the issue. hadn't thought of it.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
My main thoughts are overheating and running out of RAM.
Do you have swap - how much?

it did seem like it was trying to kill the cpu. but laptop didn't seem to get hot, and fan didn't kick in.

i don't use swap. perhaps i could, just for this one.

Last edited by josephg on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg,

All these things are worth a try.

If you unmount /var/tmp/portage, it will end up on the next real filesystem up. Probably /.
Very bad things happen if you manage to fill root. The box won't even boot until you free up some space.
Be sure that wherever you put /var/tmp/portage, you have plenty of space.

You can change the portage build location on a per package basis if you need to.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
If you unmount /var/tmp/portage, it will end up on the next real filesystem up. Probably /.
Very bad things happen if you manage to fill root. The box won't even boot until you free up some space.
Be sure that wherever you put /var/tmp/portage, you have plenty of space.

urk, you're right. /var/tmp/portage is on the root fs.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
You can change the portage build location on a per package basis if you need to.

i think this would be one-off, as i've hadn't this trouble before. is /var/tmp/portage the portage build location?

is this what you meant? 1.3 Per-package choices at compile time
seems a much better choice than what i was thinking, i.e. temporarily bind mounting a directory in a much bigger partition.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg,

That's it. You may need to do it for other big packages too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houston, we have lift-off!

Code:
$ sudo emerge -uDv --changed-use @world

Nothing to merge; quitting.

$ sudo emerge --deep --changed-use @world                                                                                                                 

Nothing to merge; quitting.

$ sudo emerge portage
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/portage-2.2.26  USE="(ipc) xattr -build -doc -epydoc (-selinux)" LINGUAS="-ru" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 (-pypy) -python3_3 (-python3_5)"

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.26::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.26::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete                           Load avg: 0.80, 0.42, 0.24
$ sudo emerge boost
[ebuild  N    ] dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1  USE="nls threads -context -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_3"
[ebuild  N    ]  dev-util/boost-build-1.56.0  USE="-examples -python {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

>>> Emerging (1 of 2) dev-util/boost-build-1.56.0::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 2) dev-util/boost-build-1.56.0::gentoo
>>> Emerging (2 of 2) dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1::gentoo
>>> Installing (2 of 2) dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1::gentoo
>>> Recording dev-libs/boost in "world" favorites file...
>>> Jobs: 2 of 2 complete                           Load avg: 2.65, 3.35, 2.19

i changed MAKEOPTS to -j1, but forgot after rebooting. so this compile used my original
Code:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --tree --verbose --quiet --jobs=2 --load-average=4.0"
MAKEOPTS="-s -j4 -l4"

i set boost another PORTAGE_TMPDIR, which at one time used 1.3gb.

i wonder if i should now attempt to get rid off python3x again. i'm getting excited all over again.. what do you say?
how embedded is phython3.4 into portage?
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i did, and.. :D

Code:
# PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" emerge boost
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1  USE="nls threads -context -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python3_3 -python3_4*"

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 1) dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete                           Load avg: 2.04, 3.31, 2.65

now should i try this with portage???
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeehaw :D

Code:
# emerge portage
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/portage-2.2.26  USE="(ipc) xattr -build -doc -epydoc (-selinux)" LINGUAS="-ru" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-pypy) -python3_3 -python3_4* (-python3_5)"

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.26::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.26::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete                           Load avg: 0.64, 1.10, 1.82
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# emerge -uDv --changed-use @world
failed because some packages only use python3x. i emerged those successfully with commandline flags. how/where can i set the PYTHON_TARGETS for specific packages.

i'm happy as i think python2.7 is more stable & widely used than python3.4, superseded by python3.5 now, and pyton3.6 in development. they'll keep running on..

khay it's done!! except i think i cannot mask python3.4 due to some packages..

Last edited by josephg on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
You may need to do it for other big packages too.

thanks NeddySeagoon, how do i know which packages are "big"?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg,

They tend to have check routines at the start of the ebuild. You will see them run in the first few seconds of the emerge.
They might even fail :)

firefox, chrome, libreoffice all come to mind.
Everything that has a -bin package.

Make friends with eix. That's something else you need to install.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. if so, those ebuild check routines didn't tell me that boost was too big, or i didn't understand.

also, i wonder if a mod can perhaps move out all these python posts from this thread into another new perhaps more relevant thread? this thread has been hijacked a bit by me troubleshooting. i can create another thread, but i don't know how to move posts between threads.

Last edited by josephg on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: