Howto start/execute X2GO server on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Howto start/execute X2GO server on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hallo guys.
I am new to Gentoo (only). I'm a 4 year user of Sabayon, the Italian binary Gentoo based distribution. They pull their binaries from Gentoo sources.
And here is my problem. I want to run x2go on both, server and client. And I don't find the same programs or parts, which are described to make x2go run with e.g. *buntu or Arch. I provide, the Sabayon packages are just a compiling from Gentoo sources. If not, I already have installed portage so that I can emerge pure Gentoo sources with my Sabayon, if existing...

Description: On my (server) notebook, driven with Plasma, I have installed the x2goserver package and x2goclient package from Sabayon repo, which seems not similar with Arch, Ubuntu or Suse, because there is no daemon or service with the name
Code:
x2goserver

What I have, are the following commands on my Plasma notebook (listed as root):
Code:
x2gobasepath               x2goprint
x2gocleansessions          x2goresume-session
x2goclient                 x2goruncommand
x2gocmdexitmessage         x2goserver-run-extensions
x2godbadmin                x2gosessionlimit
x2gofeature                x2gosetkeyboard
x2gofeaturelist            x2goshowblocks
x2gofm                     x2gostartagent
x2gogetapps                x2gosuspend
x2gogetservers             x2gosuspend-agent
x2golistdesktops           x2gosuspend-session
x2golistmounts             x2goterminate
x2golistsessions           x2goterminate-session
x2golistsessions_root      x2goumount-session
x2gomountdirs              x2goversion
x2gopath

So, is here anybody, experienced with Sabayon (or Gentoo?) x2goserver (and client) configuration to make an x2go server (service or daemon) running on a Sabayon system? Which command in combination with parameters I need to start a Sabayon x2goserver?

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE - Plasma may follow...)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Unsupported Software.

Sabayon, even if similar and using parts of Gentoo, is not something we can officially support here. Strictly speaking this might belong in Off the Wall, but it might be best left here. Unsupported doesn't mean you're going to be ignored, but it means this isn't an actual Gentoo support request. ^^

I know it's possible to use Portage on Sabayon as well, but as far as I understand, it's still out of our scope of support.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

x2goserver is in portage, by the way. I am using pure Gentoo, haven't used another OS for more than 15 years (other than for toying around), and portage doesn't install any x2goserver file, it does install /etc/init.d/x2gocleansessions, though. But it doesn't sound like that's the server, is it?

What it does install is some systemcrap units (that's what they call it I think). But, as far as I can see, there's no way to start this using openrc, duh?
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.unixmen.com/x2go-an-open-source-remote-desktop-solution-for-linux/
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to get a connection. You don't seem to need a server-side daemon at all. I have no idea what x2gocleansessions does, I guess I will enable it. Maybe it is responsible for doing some cleaning on orphaned sessions or whatever... dunno. But you don't need it loaded to be able to connect. You only seem to need the sshd daemon, and, of course, x2goserver installed.

First thing to check is that ssh X11 forwarding is working, if not then you are wasting your time. You can easily check that by doing something like this:

Code:

ssh -Y -p 1234 user@server some_X_app

The application you are running should appear in your current display if ssh is configured adequately. ssh will ask for a password if it is not configured for password-less key based authentication. If this doesn't work, then the first thing you need is to configure ssh properly for x11 forwarding.

The rest is just making use of these same values to configure the basic aspects of the x2goclient connection. I use mingetty to login into my server and a screen locker after that, so applications load in the background while I "log in" again. So, I chose "connect to local desktop", but you can use whatever mode you prefer. I don't use a DM at all. I have no idea whether that's important or not.

My problem wasn't related to x2go, but rather to an nss issue, which cause X not to start in the remote server (I had to look specifically, because, well, it's remote and I can't see the screen :P).

Performance is bad, but still better than vnc or forwarding a whole session via ssh with the ssh default tunneling. I will have to investigate that, though. Performance is not that important, but text is quite difficult to read sometimes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: