Setup lm_sensors works - but I don't know why
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Setup lm_sensors works - but I don't know why Reply with quote

Background: I have installed Gentoo, 99% following the official handbook. I have also installed KDE following the Gentoo KDE wiki.

When I add the Hardware Temperate widget to the desktop, it shows a blank square - nothing. Then I emerge lm_sensors. After emerge, the follow message is shown:

Code:
 * Messages for package sys-apps/lm_sensors-3.3.5:

* Please run `/usr/sbin/sensors-detect' in order to setup
 * /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors.
 * /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors is vital to the init-script.
 * Please make sure you also add lm_sensors to the desired
 * runlevel. Otherwise your I2C modules won't get loaded
 * on the next startup.
 * You will also need to run the above command if you're upgrading from
 * <=lm_sensors-2, as the needed entries in /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors has
 * changed.
 * Be warned, the probing of hardware in your system performed by
 * sensors-detect could freeze your system. Also make sure you read
 * the documentation before running lm_sensors on IBM ThinkPads.
 * Also make sure you have read:
 * http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Mysensorshavestoppedworkinginkernel2.6.31
 * Please refer to the lm_sensors documentation for more information.
 * (http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Documentation)

I run /usr/sbin/sensors-detect, answer all with YES. I added a few drivers in the kernel, re-compile it. And ran sensors-detect again maybe.

I tried sl33k ~ # sensors and it shows my CPU temperatures already. I checked ls /etc/conf.d/lm* but there is still no configuration file. I checked rc-update show and there is no lm_sensors nor sensors nor sensord nor *sensor* things there. Okay, I try not to add it for now. Then I go for a reboot.

After reboot, the magic happens. The Hardware Temperate widget is showing my CPU temperatures.

My questions are:

1. Why lm_sensors is working even I have no /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors configuration file? I know I have run sensors-detect. I guess it would generate /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors, but it did not. So, I guess what sensors-detect actually generates is /etc/init.d/lm_sensors (I do have this file there). And /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors is just some parameters helping sensors-detect to generates the /etc/init.d/lm_sensors. Is it the case?

2. Why the temperature widget is working even I did not add lm_sensors to rc-update? I guess the widget continuously issue the command sensors every 2 seconds, so it gets the information to display. But according to the message from the emerge (above), lm_sensors must be added to a run-level or it will not start. Why it works??

Please show me what is going on. Thank you!

Last edited by midnite on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Syl20
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Setup lm=sensors works - but I don't know why Reply with quote

midnite wrote:
1. Why lm_sensors is working even I have no /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors configuration file? I know I have run sensors-detect. I guess it would generate /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors, but it did not. So, I guess what sensors-detect actually generates is /etc/init.d/lm_sensors (I do have this file there). And /etc/conf.d/lm_sensors is just some parameters helping sensors-detect to generates the /etc/init.d/lm_sensors. Is it the case?

2. Why the temperature widget is working even I did not add lm_sensors to rc-update? I guess the widget continuously issue the command sensors every 2 seconds, so it gets the information to display. But according to the message from the emerge (above), lm_sensors must be added to a run-level or it will not start. Why it works??

The lonely task the lm_sensors service is doing is loading the appropriate kernel modules to manage your hardware sensors. Did you compile the related drivers as modules, or in-kernel ?
midnite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Setup lm=sensors works - but I don't know why Reply with quote

CneGroumF wrote:
midnite wrote:

The lonely task the lm_sensors service is doing is loading the appropriate kernel modules to manage your hardware sensors. Did you compile the related drivers as modules, or in-kernel ?

Everything in-kernel :lol:
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensors is providing a human interface to read value, but you have many way your applet can just get the values itself thru /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/thermal or /sys/devices/virtual/thermal or i2c or coretemp without the need to run sensors at all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: