Plasma 5: How do I upgrade to KDE wallet [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Plasma 5: How do I upgrade to KDE wallet [Solved] Reply with quote

After updating the Plasma 5, I now have two KDE Wallet password dialog that pop up when I first launch. One dialog is for the new version, the other for the old and both have different passwords but do not differentiate the version in the dialog that is displayed. I would like to migrate to the new Wallet and discontinue the old wallet, but I cannot determine how to do that. Most guides on the internet outline some process that involves the tray icon for accessing this option, however, the tray icon for KDE wallet (new and old) is missing in the new plasma workspace. This wouldn't be such a huge annoyance if suspend to ram worked and my system didn't segfault out on console kit several times a week.

a) How do I migrate to the new KDE wallet?

b) Can I remove the old version?

c) Where is the tray icon?

Last edited by KWhat on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first start with the new wallet, passwords have been migrated from your old wallets. (you should have seen a password migration prompt - though it looks like any other kwallet prompt...) You can check that with kde-apps/kwalletmanager:5.

See also: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#KWallet_Migration
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have disabled that use, however, I still have the old prompt. I don't believe its the migration prompt, which I seem to remember receiving. This is more of a some app wants to open the legacy wallet. Also this still doesn't explain why Plasma doesn't display the tray icon for either wallet.

Code:
 * Found these USE flags for kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta-15.08.3:
 U I
 - - crash-reporter : Builds a gui tool to submit crash information to the upstream backtracker
 + - minimal        : Install a Plasma 5 compatible subset of the package
 - - oldwallet      : Install kde-apps/kwalletd on a minimal setup for migration purposes
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what does the prompt say?

Of course, you will also need to run a --depclean or manually emerge -C the old kwalletd, just switching the useflag will not remove the package.

KWhat wrote:
Also this still doesn't explain why Plasma doesn't display the tray icon for either wallet.

Is it maybe just hidden? Also:
genstorm wrote:
kde-apps/kwalletmanager:5

It could also be a systray bug, but you can always manually execute kwalletmanager.
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I depcleaned that package out before but I did it 1 more time just to make sure: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/16/01/02/56881ee999993.png

kde-apps/kwalletmanager is not installed, no idea why its not pulled in by kde meta or kdewallet for that matter.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there we have both some prompt for passwords migration (so kwalletd:4 still seems to be present on your system) as well as one for Chromium. It might be necessary to upgrade the latter to a recent version so that it makes use of kf5 wallet. But I am not sure about that, I don't use Chromium.

kwalletmanager:5 would be pulled in e.g. by kde-apps/kdeutils-meta-15.08.3.
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens... So I was instructed to upgrade to plasma5 from kde4 by 'merging kde-plasma/plasma-meta and I do not have that package. Can I ask how you installed it?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must understand that plasma-meta only installs the workspace. KDE Applications on the other hand are an ongoing project that are slowly being introduced to the tree, and as such there so far is no meta ebuild in tree that binds them all together.

Also, if you are on a stable system, you would need to unmask any kf5-based kde-apps/ package at this point. That might also be the reason why you don't see it?
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a ~amd64 system and started this process by simply emerge -avuDN world one day. My systems pretty much been a disaster since. We did manage to resolve a problem with all my users groups disappearing, after a whole lot of "this couldn't possibly be a KDE problem."

Quote:
You must understand that plasma-meta only installs the workspace. KDE Applications on the other hand are an ongoing project that are slowly being introduced to the tree, and as such there so far is no meta ebuild in tree that binds them all together.

This is probably why my world file is wrecked with all this garbage and why packages like kde-apps/kdeutils-meta never got pulled in. I've pulled out kde-apps/kwalletd and put in kde-apps/kwalletmanager and a few other packages from that meta. Lets see if that resolves this issues.
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you help. Removing the old one and installing the new one manually did the trick. I'll dig though my world file and see what else is missing.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I maintain a set of my required kde-apps packages that is easily transferable to other systems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: