Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrakashKC wrote:
Is it just me? For me this kernel seems a lot less "fluent" then previos one. Using cfq mozilla takes forever to load while doing an emerge in the background and using as it is somewhat better. Nevertheless it feels much less responsive than love2. Esp as now XMMS skips while emerge is running.

I've noticed the same issue both on mm3 and love3, playing a video in mplayer while running emerge in the background skips a lot more than in mm2/love2. Either something has gone wrong with this kernel or I have upgraded a buggy library on my system...
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is even worse with love3: Ending mozilla lead to X regularly locking up. SO I went back to love2, but patched it with the newer working bootsplash. Let's see whether love2 behaves nicely again...

[update] SO back to love2 everything seems nice again. :) now it is the question what caused the major f up with love3? Maybe I gotte try mm3...
krazo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: supermount Reply with quote

Any chance we can get supermount in the kernel =D
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrot wrote:
Hey, sorry if this is way off-topic, but I have a question. It is thus: Is there working HPTRAID in any patch sets of any 2.6 kernel? I haven't gotten it to work in any that I have tried. It is not strictly a problem as linux is installed onto a basic 30gig IDE drive, but all of my music and movies and such is on the windows NTFS RAID partition. If it is working, can someone point me to instructions or somesuch thing which tells me how to get it working? I have searched the forums, but can't find anything but someone saying it's not working in 2.6 at the moment.

Another question, about alsa sound. Is there a way that I can get a symlink for /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp to point to the right place? I have looked around in /sys and I can't find anything which makes sense to me. Is this possible to do? By the way, ALSA does work for me in 2.6, as xmms works etc, it's just that programs that go straight for /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer can't find it and don't play any sound.

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Dijon

Are you forgetting to include ALSA's OSS compatibility layer, or am I not understanding the question?

alshain wrote:
Hey Bssteph,

Have you thought of changing the name now that you're in charge? I've tried love sources and like it but my computer balks at the thought of running a kernel with 'love' in the name.

How about a kernel named 'evil' or 'dangerous' for us Gentooers who favour style over substance!

Andrew

Well, the plan is kind of that one day Lovechild will work on the kernel again, so it's not like it's _mine_... and besides, there's so many play-on-words possible with the name having "love" in it that I couldn't bear to see it go. ;)

PrakashKC wrote:

[update] SO back to love2 everything seems nice again. now it is the question what caused the major f up with love3? Maybe I gotte try mm3...

I would really try that. The changes from love2 to love3 aren't that large, aside from mm3 of course, and Andrew's stuff has a lot better chance of causing a regression like that than mine.. I can really only see it being mm3 or Nick's scheduler changes since v17a, and about half of those changes are still SMP.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is Nick's scheduler, as I threw it out in love3 and then system was nearly unusable. On emerge even the mouse started heavy stuttering. Well, so mm3 debugging then...
Corp.Nobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, love3 + vmware seems bust. even using the latest vmware.any.any.45 patch. I'll root around on the morrow..
120GB Barracuda SATA
Geforce 3
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
USB mice are predictable for me. In fact I have the same mouse on here, but I wouldn't go blaming the mouse. Check for cranked up xfree/wm settings?

I just checked XF86Config, and it's fine. I used one that worked just fine with fedora core 1.0 (brief foray back to binary package management, it was bad). I can't find anything else that would lead me to think there's something screwy going on that's why I think it's the kernel. I shall try upgrading to the latest release before pursing this any further.

Edit: love3 fixed this issue for me. All my mice are now *extremely* smooth.

Edit2: Everything is TOO smooth and now my fricken scroll wheel doesn't work. They have obviously made some changes to the way mice are handled since I last used a 2.6 kernel sometime around test6 or so. Adjusting mouse properties in gnome does no good. Is there any way to seperate out devices? As of right now ALL my mousing devices (stick, pad, and usb intellimouse) are all coming from /dev/input/mice.

Last edited by Safrax on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
relyt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrakashKC wrote:
OK, I found a dirty workaround for the messages:

In functions.sh in the function splash_update() {

I commented out both

/sbin/splash "${myscript}" "${action}"

and then no more hassle. Apparently this is no solution, as it seems the variables myscript or action are wrong when this function is called. Anyone?

This is similar to what I did, except I just changed it so it read
Code:
/sbin/splash "${myscript} ${action}"

-which seems to be what the docs say it should be.
MrDooM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works perfectly the bootsplash, thx :lol:
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
Skrot wrote:
Hey, sorry if this is way off-topic, but I have a question. It is thus: Is there working HPTRAID in any patch sets of any 2.6 kernel? I haven't gotten it to work in any that I have tried. It is not strictly a problem as linux is installed onto a basic 30gig IDE drive, but all of my music and movies and such is on the windows NTFS RAID partition. If it is working, can someone point me to instructions or somesuch thing which tells me how to get it working? I have searched the forums, but can't find anything but someone saying it's not working in 2.6 at the moment.

Another question, about alsa sound. Is there a way that I can get a symlink for /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp to point to the right place? I have looked around in /sys and I can't find anything which makes sense to me. Is this possible to do? By the way, ALSA does work for me in 2.6, as xmms works etc, it's just that programs that go straight for /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer can't find it and don't play any sound.

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Dijon

Are you forgetting to include ALSA's OSS compatibility layer, or am I not understanding the question?

alshain wrote:
Hey Bssteph,

Have you thought of changing the name now that you're in charge? I've tried love sources and like it but my computer balks at the thought of running a kernel with 'love' in the name.

How about a kernel named 'evil' or 'dangerous' for us Gentooers who favour style over substance!

Andrew

Well, the plan is kind of that one day Lovechild will work on the kernel again, so it's not like it's _mine_... and besides, there's so many play-on-words possible with the name having "love" in it that I couldn't bear to see it go. ;)

PrakashKC wrote:

[update] SO back to love2 everything seems nice again. now it is the question what caused the major f up with love3? Maybe I gotte try mm3...

I would really try that. The changes from love2 to love3 aren't that large, aside from mm3 of course, and Andrew's stuff has a lot better chance of causing a regression like that than mine.. I can really only see it being mm3 or Nick's scheduler changes since v17a, and about half of those changes are still SMP.

It's yours now, treat it like you wish... you've done me proud.

I agree that the scheduler is the biggest change - if you read the announce mail Nick changed quite a few things - I'm on vanilla 2.6.0t9 right now with no change to have tested love3 yet so I have nothing to weigh my "alligations" against.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Nick's scheduler in mm3? In lkml someone else wrote of the same probs with mm3 and as I said above taking out Nick made situation much worse, so I think it is not Nick's fault.
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

relyt wrote:
This is similar to what I did, except I just changed it so it read
Code:
/sbin/splash "${myscript} ${action}"

-which seems to be what the docs say it should be.

Posted your solution to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21019 hopefully it will get merged in.

Thank you :) I was tired enough last night the original still looked right to me when I was trying to track this down.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed the performance decrease as well.
i will keep running it for now though.. as it
seems that apart from that it works fine.

thanks for your time bssteph.
didl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.0-test9-love3 performs absolutely great here.
Even when running extremely CPU intensive stuff in
the background I have good interactive response and
can eg watch DVDs in fullscreen mode etc.
I am currently recompiling the kernel and don't even notice
it.

Great work bssteph, thanks a bunch :D
Skrot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
:oops: I did forget to put that in. But I really wouldn't call it forgot because I wasn't aware that /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer were OSS things. Now I will never make the same mistake again. Thanks :)

That, however, doesn't answer my question about the HPTRAID status. Just a quick yes or no would do for now... :wink:
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: vmware Reply with quote

I couldn't get vmware compiled with test9-love3, but I copied the modules from test9-love1 and loaded them, works fine, no errors or anything, which I thought was suprising.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrot wrote:
bssteph wrote:
:oops: I did forget to put that in. But I really wouldn't call it forgot because I wasn't aware that /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer were OSS things. Now I will never make the same mistake again. Thanks :)

That, however, doesn't answer my question about the HPTRAID status. Just a quick yes or no would do for now... :wink:

post-halloween doc wrote:
- The hptraid/promise drivers for proprietary RAID formats are currently
non functional, and will probably be converted to use device-mapper.

That'd likely be a no ;)
Corp.Nobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: vmware Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
I couldn't get vmware compiled with test9-love3, but I copied the modules from test9-love1 and loaded them, works fine, no errors or anything, which I thought was suprising.

It looks like v19a of Nick's scheduler has changed some bits vmware uses during compile..
What did you copy over? I tried the modules in /lib/modules/<version>/misc but vmware failed to start, so I must be missing something?

I'll try posting on the vmware news site and see if we can get a patch..

UPDATE: Sorry, I got love2 vmware modules loading under love3 OK. I had knackered my configuration :oops:, so I had to boot into love2, re-config & build, then copied misc over to love3 - Sorted! I'll keep you all posted if I get anything out of the vmware news forum..
120GB Barracuda SATA
Geforce 3

Last edited by Corp.Nobbs on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovechild@pilot lovechild $ uname -sr
Linux 2.6.0-test9-love3

Running nice and smooth, I cant test sound since my SB Live! 5.1 decided to go a bit strange on me, Ill have to fix that first.
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild: does the chang in avatar indicate your back on on gentoo? And how dare you wish death on the King of all DE's! :wink: :wink:
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBeard0531 wrote:
Lovechild: does the chang in avatar indicate your back on on gentoo? And how dare you wish death on the King of all DE's! :wink: :wink:

1) yes, and no - Im currently on Gentoo and its likely with the recent announcements of Portage-ng that Ill stay here for a while.

2) because it sucks.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From lkml, Ronny V.V.:

Quote:

I've found that neither linus.patch nor
context-switch-accounting-fix.patch is causing the problem, but rather
acpi-pm-timer-fixes.patch & acpi-pm-timer.patch

With these applied my cpu (athlon64) is detected as 0.0Mhz, bogomips
drops to 50% and anything cpu intensive destroys interactivity. Revert
them and performance is back at -mm2 level.
triad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin thanks for the tip on VMware. Worked fine here.

bssteph thanks for Love-r3. Working like a charm over here.

Triad
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
RedBeard0531 wrote:

1) yes, and no - Im currently on Gentoo and its likely with the recent announcements of Portage-ng that Ill stay here for a while.

2) because it sucks.

I think the thing that separates Lovechild and I the most is our choice in DEs... I was all over the development Gnome... it hit stable and I went to the KDE alpha. Last night I painstakingly removed most of Gnome by hand.
*runs from Lovechild* ;)

But hey, maybe I'm just nuts, and I'll be back to Gnome 2.5... but I'm really liking KDE. But that's also a different thread.

EDIT
*cough* Man I post slowly. See PrakashKC's post.
END EDIT

Anyone experiencing a performance regression may be interested to try this. The patches can be found at All the usual places and given the number of times we've gone over reversing a patch, we should all be pros now, yes? ;)

The cause of the regression may also explain why I didn't see it - this box only has a limited ACPI in the kernel, with no power management, and certainly no power management timer support.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patched, compiled, works :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: