[SOLVED] r9 390 opensource drivers getting 14fps in cs 1.6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcd94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] r9 390 opensource drivers getting 14fps in cs 1.6 Reply with quote

Hello guys I just clean installed gentoo for my new ssd and with my new gpu.

I can't launch dota 2 and so I tried to launch cs 1.6 which got 14 fps :( . I followed the wiki for radeon and amdgpu to install the opensource drivers. Governor is on performance.

Any tips or help would be appreciated!

Last edited by dcd94 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have made a small mistake somewhere resulting software OpenGL rendering. Running glxinfo will help to get started. I have had issues like that because of forgetting to add my user to video group and having a typo in kernel config firmware file names.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcd94,

Your dmesg may help. Most of the open source drivers depend on loading fimware for 3D hardware acceleration.
They fall back to software rendering, if its not available.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log may give a few pointers too.

None of those logs will fit in a post. wgetpaste is your friend.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dcd94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dcd94,

Your dmesg may help. Most of the open source drivers depend on loading fimware for 3D hardware acceleration.
They fall back to software rendering, if its not available.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log may give a few pointers too.

None of those logs will fit in a post. wgetpaste is your friend.

Thanks for the reply. Here is my Xorg.0.log paste: https://bpaste.net/show/15abf5fd0673

I looked closely to my kernel config and I noticed I missed one binary name for location in the kernel I fixed that and compiled with unstable mesa and llvm and it seems I get decent fps but I get some random stutters. Anything I'm missing? First ever going on opensource drivers, only used nvidia proprietary drivers before so this is new. I also put "performance" profile on dpm. I heard something called dri3 that would improve performance
dcd94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rh wrote:
You might have made a small mistake somewhere resulting software OpenGL rendering. Running glxinfo will help to get started. I have had issues like that because of forgetting to add my user to video group and having a typo in kernel config firmware file names.

Yeah I missed some firmware in the kernel config. But I got normal letters and capital letters for hawaii gpu. Does it matter which one I use? Can I type both in? the only difference is the capital letters has 1 extra binary that the other doesn't. I typed both so far and it works
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcd94 wrote:
Yeah I missed some firmware in the kernel config. But I got normal letters and capital letters for hawaii gpu. Does it matter which one I use? Can I type both in? the only difference is the capital letters has 1 extra binary that the other doesn't. I typed both so far and it works

I think that the ones in capital letters are for kernel 3.16 and older, and the other ones for later kernels. The kernel should use the right ones. UVD (hardware video decoding) was introduced at that point, and requires the extra binary you noted. I compiled the kernel driver as module (CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m), so firmware gets loaded from /lib/firmware without the need to include them in the kernel. The amdgpu kernel driver is available for hawaii, but radeon is the one you want. You might wan't to disable the amdgpu in kernel just to be sure to avoid any potential issues. Hawaii support in amdgpu is a leftover from AMD's internal testing, and not really supported.

You can enable DRI3 via xorg.conf, a search in the forums should give more exact instructions. It can increase performance in some games, but also has some bugs. I have had no issues with DRI3.

Does the stuttering show in a certain game or situation, or all over the place?
dcd94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rh wrote:
dcd94 wrote:

I think that the ones in capital letters are for kernel 3.16 and older, and the other ones for later kernels. The kernel should use the right ones. UVD (hardware video decoding) was introduced at that point, and requires the extra binary you noted. I compiled the kernel driver as module (CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m), so firmware gets loaded from /lib/firmware without the need to include them in the kernel. The amdgpu kernel driver is available for hawaii, but radeon is the one you want. You might wan't to disable the amdgpu in kernel just to be sure to avoid any potential issues. Hawaii support in amdgpu is a leftover from AMD's internal testing, and not really supported.

You can enable DRI3 via xorg.conf, a search in the forums should give more exact instructions. It can increase performance in some games, but also has some bugs. I have had no issues with DRI3.

Does the stuttering show in a certain game or situation, or all over the place?

Looks like I had to emerge to unstable xf86-video-ati for dri3 support. I get better fps by this but still I get some random stutter for most games, but I get way less frequent stutter. Borderlands 2 stutters a lot (csgo and dota 2 are fine for now). Anyways thanks for the help so far :) Appreciate it.
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a open bug report about Borderlands 2 on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91969.
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed a possible fix to Borderlands 2 stuttering. Apparently changing option Poolsize in /home/<user>/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Borderlands 2/steamassets/engine/config/basegame.ini to something more close to actual vram might help. This might help with other Unreal Engine titles, see link below for more details. Hope it works out for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/3nieya/heres_a_fix_for_bioshocks_stuttering_and_texture
dcd94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rh wrote:
I just noticed a possible fix to Borderlands 2 stuttering. Apparently changing option Poolsize in /home/<user>/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Borderlands 2/steamassets/engine/config/basegame.ini to something more close to actual vram might help. This might help with other Unreal Engine titles, see link below for more details. Hope it works out for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/3nieya/heres_a_fix_for_bioshocks_stuttering_and_texture

Thanks for the tips! I can barely notice stutters now :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: