Adding to dolphin's context/services menu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Adding to dolphin's context/services menu Reply with quote

So the updates to KF5/plasma has apparently forced a switch to using dolphin as my default file manager. I have a few issues with this that I hope someone here knows how to solve:

1) dolphin is still using a default kde style, not the one I specify in systemsettings5. How do I fix this? The default is fugly :(
2) all the context-menu options I had under konqueror are gone: namely, the options to encrypt/decrypt with kgpg, to "extract here" or "extract here; autodetect subfolder", the option to compress a directory into various .tar.* files, etc etc. Trying to search for services leads to a very shoddily-maintained list of services; where are the rest of them? Am I just going to have to wait for the developers of kgpg/ark/whatever to update to KF5?

ugh. I always hated dolphin, and trying to use KDE apps outside of the kde WM is really tiresome (which is the same problem I have trying to use GNOME apps: I'm running FVWM, and both seem to assume they only run within their native WM and lack a bunch of features when they aren't).

Thanks for the help,

EE
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding to dolphin's context/services menu Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
So the updates to KF5/plasma has apparently forced a switch to using dolphin as my default file manager. I have a few issues with this that I hope someone here knows how to solve:

1) dolphin is still using a default kde style, not the one I specify in systemsettings5. How do I fix this? The default is fugly :(
2) all the context-menu options I had under konqueror are gone: namely, the options to encrypt/decrypt with kgpg, to "extract here" or "extract here; autodetect subfolder", the option to compress a directory into various .tar.* files, etc etc. Trying to search for services leads to a very shoddily-maintained list of services; where are the rest of them? Am I just going to have to wait for the developers of kgpg/ark/whatever to update to KF5?

ugh. I always hated dolphin, and trying to use KDE apps outside of the kde WM is really tiresome (which is the same problem I have trying to use GNOME apps: I'm running FVWM, and both seem to assume they only run within their native WM and lack a bunch of features when they aren't).

Thanks for the help,

EE

merge libkonq will solve the 2nd problem
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libkonq still shows being meta-version :4, while dolphin is at :5.

Curiously, on merging kgpg a couple days ago, I got a message telling me that, if I wanted added encrypt/compress functionality, I should install ark:5 and konq:5. Neither of those actually exist in the tree yet.

Are you sure that libkonq-15.08.0:4 will add that functionality to dolphin:5? Because I already have it installed, and it does not seem to do so.

Cheers,

EE
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it just solved my problem in creating folders menu. So that's why I advice you to try.
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you don't have the menu.
if you have the menu, and it only miss "extract here", in this case you could probably try ark-15. it exists in layman "kde"
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Here I am again, because updating to ark-15.08.3 and dolphin-4.14.3 (which is inexplicably reporting itself as 4.14.14) has resulted in the ark services getting dropped again. I can't add them, as they don't even appear on the menu (and the option to search for new services apparently points to a dead link).

Does dolphin:5 finally work with non-KDE WMs? This is an annoying deficit in functionality.

And I swear, if KDE devs start talking about how they're cutting out functions I've been using for over a decade in order to "provide a coherent UI" (which is how GNOME justified the Unity WM ignoring .xmodmap entirely and providing no other means to re-map keybindings) I'm going to set myself on fire.

Cheers,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: