Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X keyboard shortcut issue (VT switching & zap)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpsg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: X keyboard shortcut issue (VT switching & zap) Reply with quote

I'm having what seems to be a moderately common problem -- VT switching via "Ctrl+Alt+F(N)", where F(N) is e.g. F1, F2, ..., isn't working in X, and nor is "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace". By 'not working', I mean that there's no perceivable change in state when I press those keys. From 'the internet', I see others having a problem of switching to blank VTs, but that's not the case here; I just remain on the X display. I've dredged through many posts & articles but nothing I've tried has helped so far. A few bits of system information and the things I've fiddled with:

* Fresh gentoo installation, up-to-date as of 2015-12-11. x86_64, -multilib
* proprietary nvidia driver, GTX 970 card.
* installed X & xterm
* UK keyboard
* XSESSION=xterm
* Starting X simply by typing "startx" after logging into a tty as root, or a non-root user (behaviour is the same in both cases)

* In my xinitrc I set:

setxkbmap -layout gb
setxkbmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

[Interestingly, if I omit the second of these lines, the ctrl+alt+backspace behaviour is different -- a 'y umlaut' character appears in the xterm. If the line is there then no character at all appears]

* In my xorg.conf ServerFlags I've tried various permutations of "DontZap", "DontVTSwitch" and "HandleSpecialKeys" either being "off", or not having the line at all.

* Also, if it's useful, I can use "chvt" to switch to other ttys from X, though only when logged in as root. When in they tty I can use Alt + F(N) / arrow keys to switch terminals as normal, and I find the X server on TTY 7. This makes me think it isn't a graphics driver issue, since it is *possible* to access the terminals, but for some reason the keyboard shortcut is being gobbled. Same with the zap command.

* Looking at output of xev confirms that each of Ctrl, Alt, Backspace & F(N) keys are mapped as they ought to be. xmodmap shows Backspace mapping to Terminate_Server, and F(N) keys mapping to XF86Switch_VT_(N) -- these appear in the last column of xmodmap -pke. [[Is that column location significant?]]

Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look next to debug please? Maybe some more verbose logging is possible, to see whether the keyboard shortcuts are indeed getting registered somewhere? Thanks very much!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: