View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: startx/amdgpu issues- and maybe a bunch more Reply with quote

Hello and thanks in advance for the help. I wouldn't be making a post here unless I was really pulling my hair out. I've disabled my entire desktop and have been using my smartphone to help troubleshoot while on my route to becoming a true gentooman and I'm at my wit's end right now. And yes, I discovered you could use other distro's livecd's. Eventually. But onto my [gentoo] problems!

Background-

I have an nvme0 configured with GPT/UEFI, p 1 is /boot, p 2 is /, no swap. I used menuconfig to generate .config in which I tried to mostly cut out bloat. I used genkernel to generate initramfs to eventually utilize encryption in the future but otherwise no particular reason. Also, booting using Grub2. I was having amdgpu issues and eventually changed amdgpu stuff to modules. I have an AMD R280X if I remember correctly (Tahiti), an intel i5 4790k cpu, gigabyte ud5h-blk rev 1.1.

My eselect profile is set for desktop as I haven't decided to commit to KDE yet.

Problem- I'm having an issue successfully starting an X11 server. I get some errors related to dbus. When I emerged X11 not a whole lot generated but was supposed to be be good by default? I'm mentally exhausted right now but here are some pastebins with logs I think I see requested a lot. Password is 'gentoo' :

Xorg

dmesg

kernel.config

lspci-k

make.conf

I should get email notifications but I'll come by as I'm working on this but I'm stepping away for like 3 hours, walking the dog, maybe having a beer. If people prefer I'll learn how to do the inline code snippets thing here but I haven't used a BB forum since like 2004. The password for pastebin is just for bots. Anyway, thanks for the code and good luck.

Thank you for helping me lest I quit and go back to Arch and SystemD.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that your amdgpu module isn't loaded. What happens if you load it manually:
Code:
modprobe amdgpu

Do you get any error messages on the console, in dmesg or in the system logs?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a laptop with hybrid graphics?
manama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
It seems that your amdgpu module isn't loaded. What happens if you load it manually:
Code:
modprobe amdgpu

Do you get any error messages on the console, in dmesg or in the system logs?

AHHHHHHHH IT WORKED AND STARTX WORKED!

Only thing, though, I can't look at any error messages though. I see three white terminals but I can't ctr3, alt3, ctrl alt 3, super 3,anything into another virtual terminal and it's not getting input from my mouse or keyboard that are connected via a Logitech unifying receiver.
manama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Is this a laptop with hybrid graphics?

No sir. I built this desktop years ago. I've had the monitor connected to the hdmi port on my gpu but never had issues with video output for whatever reason. After ```modprobe amdgpu``` hires kicked on. I was trying to use rc-update but clearly I have more to learn about Linux and open-rc.
manama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully the logs saved. I hit the power button and looked like it safely just closed the x session and went through a normal shutdown. X11 log shows a lot of things calling module 'libinput' and routinely failing because the module doesn't exist. Good lord I got enough dopamine to keep trucking on.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"

You need to set it. In future, when in need of assistance, post 'emerge --info' instead of make.conf.
manama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"

You need to set it. In future, when in need of assistance, post 'emerge --info' instead of make.conf.

https://files.catbox.moe/ycbman.jpg thank you! Good God. I don't know what I'm moving onto next but I can move on. Thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: