View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Gentoo MATE needs *you* Reply with quote

If you use MATE, and want to see it improve, both in Gentoo and for everyone why not become a MATE Desktop Tester?

If you're having trouble getting it started, see this topic.

mods: apologies if this has been announced somewhere; couldn't find it, and seems deserving of user-promotion.
Feel free to delete, if so.

Stuck, at least for a while; or until we find a prior announcement/call for testers, whichever comes first. -- desultory
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't MATE headed for systemd? I run it, but I'm trying to get off because of systemd.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Isn't MATE headed for systemd? I run it, but I'm trying to get off because of systemd.

if they do go systemd only, it'll be time for me to go shopping for a new window manager again... I'm perfectly fine going back to something old school like fvwm, cde, twm, etc. I don't need a full desktop environment, just something with multiple workspaces to manage my windows. I really liked GNOME 1.x with enlightenment 16 back in the day (I only switched to GNOME 2.x sometime around 2005/2006 after they added enough features back to make it usable) and I could probably make that work again if I wanted to.
HerbMillerJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested. How do I sign up? Like the others, I'm out if it goes exclusively systemd. I don't run systemd on my gentoo systems.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can email the address in the link; I've checked with #gentoo-desktop as there's only 3 people in #gentoo-mate and no /topic, and they're fine with support et al in there, as it is the channel for any desktop stuff on Gentoo. Just not sure how many in there are running MATE, so I'd autojoin both.

I'm sure somebody who really knows what they're talking about wrt MATE will let us know more soon. :-)

Personally, I'd be surprised if MATE required systemd as a hard-dep, as it's trying to be an alternative to GNOME3 insanity, but even if it does go doolalley upstream, we can always patch it back to sanity.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

Personally, I'd be surprised if MATE required systemd as a hard-dep, as it's trying to be an alternative to GNOME3 insanity, but even if it does go doolalley upstream, we can always patch it back to sanity.

My impression was that it was just to preserve the Gnome2 desktop instead of the Win8 clone called Gnome3.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
My impression was that it was just to preserve the Gnome2 desktop instead of the Win8 clone called Gnome3.
Yes, but from a GNOME-user's perspective, that's exactly what "an alternative to GNOME3 insanity" looks like. ;-)

I'll admit to two ulterior motives: I'd like to have MATE as a fallback option if KDE-developers collectively lose the plot as well, and indeed to have it as an option in general usage from KDM (or a non-carcinogenic DM, should the worst happen.)

The other motive, is that I'd like to see gtk-2 preserved, in maintenance mode, as it's formed the basis for quite a few things I've loved over the years, starting with Mandrake's drakx, which I didn't even know used GTK until years later, looking at the code after I'd switched to Gentoo.
At the time, it made my KDE desktop-machine's configuration a complete doddle, so I was disappointed to find it written in perl, solely due to my unfamiliarity with the language.
In the end, we didn't need anything so fancy to sort out an installer, so it passed by the bye. /ramble
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for MATE 1.12 - latest release.
had a look at gentoo-mate overlay, which has an incomplete set of 1.10 packages.
then I found this overlay for MATE 1.12. let's see if it is usable.

the owner hopes to become a gentoo developer, too. we will see about that.

there is even an option to build against gtk3. I wonder about that look'n'feel. :o

I'll report back ...
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use only a few components. It was too bloated.

And when i see systemd, I will just replace it as I replaced other software also.

Code:
mate-base/caja-1.8.2-r1
mate-base/mate-common-1.8.0
mate-base/mate-desktop-1.8.1-r1
x11-terms/mate-terminal-1.8.1
x11-themes/mate-icon-theme-1.8.0

I am not that happy or convinced about ti. Compared with old gnome 2 components, it has hardly improved and usuability is to question.

The most stupidity is when you start caja, or nemo, which is the same stuff, it always fire up a desktop. who needs that in the first place.
stupid design since gnome 2 and I doubt here is the right spot. you may fix and give feedback to the devs and not fix the stuff here which is broken by design.

Code:
grep caja .i3/config
bindsym $mod+e exec caja --no-desktop

Nemo = caja = 40 percent of what i expect of the functionality or usuablity. and both have tons of dependencies / memory wasting stuff ...
I am partly back to mc.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am online with 1.12 + gtk3. needs some tweaks for gtk3 to compile. looks great.

tw04l124
yup, MATE 1.8 was a horrible experience for me, too. just took seconds to escape back then. ;)
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a status report of my MATE 1.12 + gtk3 installation - things I could not get right yet.

[SOLVED] 1. I cannot get MATE to set my default keyboard layout to 'de'. I got 'en' and 'de'. lightdm has 'de_DE.utf8' alright.
/etc/X11/Xkbmap:
-model pc105 -layout de

[SOLVED] 2. lost feature after system upgrade from kernel-3.18.24/gcc-4.9.3 to kernel-4.3.3/gcc-5.3.0 and some mate 1.12.x minor updates.
- logitech unifying receiver with logitech m525 mouse no longer detected by battery icon on notification area.

-> https://github.com/pwr/Solaar/issues/216#issuecomment-102008497
-> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/commit/?id=f8104a112eb967cd4c2aaf57b5a59aafe7c4738f

[SEMI-SOLVED] 3. I have a problem with my intel gpu(laptop: samsung np900x3a) - ui corrupted/unresponsive
- VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

-> use DRI3/SNA with git version (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93567)

[SOLVED] 4. display switcheroo - plugging the hdmi cable, the tv display shows up as second monitor sporadically.
- https://github.com/geki-yaba/gekis-salt-seed/blob/master/lib64/udev/display.sh

-> disconnect and connect the hdmi cable, should do then. I guess my hdmi port is just flaky. script is quite robust now.

[SOLVED] 5. mouse cursor invisible in display manager/X.
- kernel 4.4.1 has cursor fixes - looks good so far

edit
I somewhat fixed my issues. o hell ...

Last edited by geki on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
luiztux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Desktop runs MATE, without SystemD. I'm using OpenRC 0.17. No problems until now.

Actually, I had few problems with mate-applets package on merge phase. But was already solved! :wink:

(Sorry for my bad english :oops: :oops: )
HerbMillerJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the time that has passed I've gotten my mother switched from WindowsXP to Gentoo w/MATE and she's loving it! Had the problem with mate-applets, too, but a quick bugzilla search solved that. How do we get changes committed upstream?

I sent an e-mail about becoming a desktop tester, but never got a response. How active is this project?
javashin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: What i need to do To test ? Reply with quote

this is my actual install : i have set up mate 1.12.1 GTK3 using mate-de-gentoo overlay .

emerge --info
Portage 2.2.26 (python 3.4.3-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd, gcc-5.3.0, glibc-2.22-r1, 4.1.15-rt17 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.1.15-rt17-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i3_CPU_M_380_@_2.53GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 3765360 total, 1705432 free
KiB Swap: 4970908 total, 4950084 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 22:15:01 +0000
Timestamp of repository poly-c: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 21:29:08 +0000
sh bash 4.3_p42-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.25.1 p1.1) 2.25.1
app-shells/bash: 4.3_p42-r1::gentoo
dev-java/java-config: 2.2.0::gentoo
dev-lang/perl: 5.22.1::gentoo
dev-lang/python: 2.7.11-r2::gentoo, 3.4.3-r7::gentoo, 3.5.1-r2::gentoo
dev-util/cmake: 3.4.1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.29::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.10-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/automake: 1.11.6-r2::gentoo, 1.13.4-r1::gentoo, 1.14.1-r1::gentoo, 1.15-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils: 2.25.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc: 5.3.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.8::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/make: 4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.4::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.22-r1::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
sync-type: rsync
sync-uri: rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
priority: -1000

x-portage
masters: gentoo
priority: 0

geki
sync-type: laymansync
sync-uri: https://github.com/geki-yaba/gekis-playground.git
priority: 50

gentoo-zh
sync-uri: git://github.com/microcai/gentoo-zh.git

mate-de-gentoo
sync-uri: https://github.com/oz123/mate-de-gentoo.git

nirvana
sync-uri: https://bitbucket.org/danysk/nirvana-overlay

poly-c
sync-uri: rsync://gentoofan.no-ip.org/poly-c

sabayon
sync-uri: git://github.com/Sabayon/for-gentoo.git

vortex
sync-uri: git://github.com/nE0sIghT/vortex-overlay.git

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="es_DO.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="10bit 12bit X \ a52 aac aacplus aalib acl acpi alsa amd64 amr amrenc animation-rtl apng applet aria2 aspell bazaar berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo caja caps ccache cdda cddb cdr cli clutter colord cpudetection cpufreq_bench cracklib crypt cue curl custom-cflags custom-modes cvs cxx dbus djvu dri drm dts dvd eds egl encode equalizer exif expat extra-tools extras faac fbcon fdk ffmpeg flac flickr fontconfig fortran fuse gbm gdbm gdm gif glade gles gles2 glib gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gold google gpg gpm grammar gstreamer gtk gtk3 guile hddtemp http http2 iconv icu image-converter imlib infinality introspection ipv6 jbig jemalloc jpeg jpeg2k kdrive ladspa lame lcms ldap libcanberra libevent libinput libkms libmpv libnotify libsamplerate lm_sensors lua lua52compat lzma lzo magic mclib mercurial mmx mmxext modplug modules mp3 mpeg mplayer mtp multilib nas native-headset nautilus ncurses network networkmanager nls nptl ogg openal opengl openmp openssl optimization opus oss pam pango pcre pdf pidgin playlist plugin-checksum plugin-doat plugin-fishlim plugin-sysinfo plugins plymouth png policykit portaudio postproc pulseaudio python rar readline realtime resolvconf rule-generator sdl seccomp sendto sensord session sftp slang sndfile snmp speex spell sqlite sse sse2 ssl ssse3 startup-notification strong-optimization subversion svg sync-plugin-portage systemd tcpd telepathy theora threads tiff tools tracker truetype twolame uchardet udev udisks unicode unsupported upower usb utils uxa vaapi vala vdpau vorbis vpx wavpack wayland web webkit webp x264 x265 xattr xcb xinerama xkb xml xmp xscreensaver xv xvid zeitgeist zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 mmxext sse2 ssse3" CURL_SSL="nss" DRACUT_MODULES="syslog btrfs gensplash plymouth" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="es en" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 python3_5" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22 ruby23" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbMillerJW wrote:
Well, in the time that has passed I've gotten my mother switched from WindowsXP to Gentoo w/MATE and she's loving it!

Had XP blue screen three times yesterday. Hasn't done that in years. Windows, yuch! And I love how my openrc/mdev system comes up so fast.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I using mate-1.8.1(~amd64) without systemd work like old gnome-2 without a problems, but i cant tune monitor resolution with
mate-display-properties, i think it doesn't use edid.
I'm just add some xorg.conf strings for that.

And i need mate-terminal, cause gnome-terminal from gnome-3 cut down in functionality.

To use mate without udev i need:
gvfs USE="-udisks -udev"
caja need gvfs with udisks support and hard depended???

And i need gdm-2.28 or mdm display manager, like i wroted here.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1010118.html

These ebuilds not in portage tree.
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mate-1.8.1 running in a VM and I can change the display resolution.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
I have mate-1.8.1 running in a VM and I can change the display resolution.

edid on vm and edid of real monitor have difference? You can use 1280x1024@100 or 1920x1080@75 ?
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not able to set a refresh rate but any resolution.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
I am not able to set a refresh rate but any resolution.

that is far from my problem
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerJr wrote:

That's all right; this is far from your topic on the problem. ;-)
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
TigerJr wrote:

That's all right; this is far from your topic on the problem. ;-)

I need mate, but not mate me
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lul. :-)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that systemd dependency a need on next versions? (i wonder if i need to start using another DE or can keep mate?)

because if mate guys think i use mate because i fell from my chair every time i see mate UI, they are really, really thinking wrong.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
is that systemd dependency a need on next versions? (i wonder if i need to start using another DE or can keep mate?)

because if mate guys think i use mate because i fell from my chair every time i see mate UI, they are really, really thinking wrong.

It's a mind battle gtk2 vs gtk3 vs qt5 =) Something can die...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: