Systemd and Udev conflict on arm64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanjo9800
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Systemd and Udev conflict on arm64 Reply with quote

Hello, I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 64-bit Gentoo and I have successfully put Systemd on it replacing the OpenRC. However, now when updating I face an error because of two blocked packages. Without surprise these packages are systemd and eudev.

Code:

[blocks B      ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-3.2)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-3.2)
[blocks B      ] sys-fs/eudev ("sys-fs/eudev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-229, sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-6, sys-apps/systemd-230-r2)

(sys-fs/eudev-3.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/eudev-2.1.1 required by (virtual/udev-217:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0/0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?
,abi_s390_64(-)?,static-libs?] (>=sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0/0) required by (virtual/libudev-215-r1:0/1::gentoo, installed)

(sys-apps/systemd-230-r2:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-apps/systemd:0= required by (sys-apps/dbus-1.10.8-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-apps/systemd required by @selected
    >=sys-apps/systemd-207 required by (sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-6:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-apps/systemd:0/2= required by (sys-apps/dbus-1.10.8-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)

After further research, I think I found the main problem: virtual/udev and virtual/libudev are compiled without the systemd USE flag
Code:

[ebuild  N    #] sys-fs/eudev-3.2::gentoo  USE="hwdb kmod -introspection -rule-generator (-selinux) -static-libs {-test}" 1,744 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/udev-217::gentoo  USE="(-systemd)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/libudev-215-r1:0/1::gentoo  USE="(-static-libs) (-systemd)" 0 KiB
[blocks B      ] sys-fs/eudev ("sys-fs/eudev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-229, sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-6)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-3.2)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-3.2)

Total: 3 packages (1 new, 2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 1,744 KiB
Conflict: 3 blocks (3 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-fs/eudev-3.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/eudev-2.1.1 required by (virtual/udev-217:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0/0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)$,abi_s390_64(-)?,static-libs?] (>=sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0/0) required by (virtual/libudev-215-r1:0/1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-apps/systemd-229:0/2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    sys-apps/systemd required by @selected

However, I have the systemd flag enabled as a global USE flag and from the brackets, I learn that something is blocking that flag for the particular packages. However, I do not know what is blocking it. In the beginning, when setuping systemd, it was globally masked from the /usr/portage/profiles/base. I just unmasked it then and all went well.

Do you have any idea what is blocking these USE flags, or the error is not in the USE flag?

Thank you in advance!!!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjo9800,

... and I said I would not support systemd ...

sys-apps/systemd provides the same functionality as sys-fs/eudev ... it provides more as udev has been sucked into systemd.
As a result, you must choose at most one of systemd' eudev and udev. if you have systemd installed then eudev and udev cannot be.

There is a systemd upgrade guide on the wiki. Follow it. Its probably written for amd64/x86 but it will be arch agnostic.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
vanjo9800
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will manage to fix that somehow. I faced a similar problem on another Raspberry with Gentoo.

However, I would like to ask you something about the kernel. Recently I saw on the Raspberry Pi wiki that there is a kernel with working wifi. Then I traced that kernel up to here: https://www.kraxel.org/cgit/linux/log/?h=bcm2837-wifi. However, I do not know which source I need to download. I downloaded one source connected to the commit, but it did not even boot. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!!!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjo9800,

The short answer to that in no.

The bcm2837-wifi branch of that git tree is being used to develop wifi. I've read that it works too. Like you, it doesn't quite work for me.
My Raspberry Pi root is on USB rotating rust.
When I build bcm2837-wifi, after configuring it it for the Pi3 (there is no Pi3 default config), anh install it with the dtb file it provides, my root never mounts because rootwait waits forever.
Further, there are messages about clock errors onh the printk clock runs far too fast.

When I put the dtb from the Electron752 kernel, under the bcm2837-wifi kernel, it boots, USB and wired networking work but the mmc card doesn't work at all.
If you have root on mmc, that's a problem.
That's not really surprising as both dtb files describe different mmc drivers.
Wifi has no chance that way either as WiFi is on the MMC bus.

There appears to be a problem with the clock definitions in the bcm2837-wifi kernel dts file, or the content of config.txt or both
There are more patches not in bcm2837-wifi too, according to kraxels blog.

I've quickly looked at the two dts files but making the WiFi work is not top of my list of things to do.
Maybe it should be as it would get the network traffic off of USB so the HDD would be faster.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Mouski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have successfully installed and running systemd on my raspberry Pi 3. You have to put the USE flag "systemd" on global and check if any packages need at local USE flag and do an "emerge --update --newuse" if you want to avoid any possible conflicting/blocking dependencies. The problem is systemd has own udev integrated.

For information : booting with systemd is incredibly faster on raspberry.
vanjo9800
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Moiski. I have already enabled the systemd flag and reemerged the packages. I think that the problem mainly consists of the fact that the Gentoo on my Raspberry Pi 3 is one of the early 64-bit ones. At the time when I installed it, there was no ARM64 support for systemd. I must see again the masked use flags and packages. Maybe that will solve the problem. :)
Mouski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjo9800,

I remember that i had to remerge (oneshot) virtual/libudev package because it has "systemd" USE flag. I don't know why this was not remerged with --newuse. After that blocking dependencies were gone. Maybe you can try this.
vanjo9800
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I found that, but the bad thing is that I seem to be unable to emerge it with the systemd flag. I have tried several times, but the flag is blocked somehow...
Mouski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i haven't seen you've tried for libudev.
Maybe you can give your emerge -v --info and your gentoo's profile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: