Trying to run openAFS client
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avitase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Trying to run openAFS client Reply with quote

Dear Experts,
I have installed openAFS (client & server) successfully but am I not able to run the Client.
Starting the client
Code:
> /etc/init.d/openafs-client start

results in:
Code:
 * Starting OpenAFS client ...
 *   OpenAFS already active, trying to unload module
 *   Loading OpenAFS kernel module ...                                                                [ ok ]
 *   Starting OpenAFS daemon ...                                                                      [ !! ]
 * ERROR: openafs-client failed to start

I found out, that after starting the openAFS daemon
Code:
/usr/sbin/afsd -fakestat -stat 2000 -dcache 800 -daemons 3 -volumes 70  -afsdb -dynroot
gets called.

Running this command produces the following error:
Code:
afsd: ERROR: Cache dir check failed (unable to stat cache base directory)

The (Gentoo-)Wiki mentions problems using ext4. I have running solutions on RedHat systems using ext4 purely and I also tried to move the log to an ext2 device but still the same error occurs.

I have set ThisCell also:
Code:
> cat /etc/openafs/ThisCell
cern.ch

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to run openAFS client Reply with quote

avitase wrote:

Running this command produces the following error:
Code:

The (Gentoo-)Wiki mentions problems using ext4. I have running solutions on RedHat systems using ext4 purely and I also tried to move the log to an ext2 device but still the same error occurs.

Forgive me if you've already checked this, but this looks as if it might be quite simple. Does your cache directory exist? The cache directory and its size are specified in "/usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo". I don't believe the openafs install creates it, but I'm not sure. I've always used a separate partition for my openafs cache. To be honest, I don't think I've read the Gentoo OpenAFS Wiki, at least not in my memory horizon. I make my afs cache ext4 with no journal. There are benefits to doing it that way. Once upon a time I came across other filesystem tuning suggestions for an afs cache, but at this point I forget them, and the biggest benefit comes from ext4's extents.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to run openAFS client Reply with quote

avitase wrote:
Code:

avitase ... I'm completely unfamilar with openafs but I suspect the reason for the above is that no tmpfiles.d is configured. So, do you have tmpfiles.setup and tempfiles.dev in some runlevel (I forget which), and does /etc/tmpfiles.d/ contain some config for openafs-client?

Note that the openrc reimplementation of systemd's tmpfiles.d is entirely compatible with the above linked manpage.

best ... khay
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took another look at the ebuild. I haven't run afs on Gentoo since my employer moved to a standard Linux and prohibited others. Instead of "/usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo", where I first pointed you to, look in "/etc/openafs" for the "cacheinfo" file. As far as I can tell, the default cache location is "/var/cache/openafs", but it doesn't appear to do anything about creating that location for you. I believe that is your problem.

One other note, to head off the next problem you'll run into. The "cacheinfo" file specifies the size of the cache. If you want to use a cache partition, which I would recommend, you can of course mount it at the indicated location. BUT there is overhead to the cache, so you can't make the cache the same size as the partition size, it needs to be a little bit bigger. I apologize for not being able to tell you what "a little bit" is, but it's been five or ten years since I set up a Gentoo OpenAFS client. One other warning about this - if the partition is undersized, it will fail with no symptoms or messages. That's because the initscript sends (or sent, last I used it) stdout and stderr to /dev/null. I debugged this by tweaking the initscript to direct them to a file - the messages were right there.
avitase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot!
Code:
mkdir /var/cache/openafs

indeed fixes the problem!
Also thank you for your warnings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: