Multiple seats with lightdm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Multiple seats with lightdm Reply with quote

It used to be that lightdm recognised [Seat:n] sections in lightdm.conf and started-up multiple sessions accessible via alt-F7, alt-F8 etc. This has gone now, replaced by some notion of seats defined in dbus, udev etc. rules. So, simple question: how does one set up a two-seat system thus:
  • alt-F7: local xfce session
  • alt-F8: XDMCP session equivalent to X -listen tcp -query remotevm -once :1

dp_alvarez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is not polite to revive such old topics, but I'm having the same problem and cannot figure out for the life of me how to solve it.
Apparently LightDM (corrently) assumes logind will handle detecting the seats, but it seems to ignore the fact one may want to run multiple sessions with one seat only.
In my case I want the VT 7 to have one user logged in and VT 8 to have another user logged in with another DE.
The tool 'dm-tool' apparently is almost capable of doing that. If I issue 'dm-tool switch-to-greeter' it creates another session on the next available VT, but it goes to the greeter and does not login automatically. Also I cannot setup LightDM do this automatically. It only works if 'allow-user-switching = True' in lightdm.conf.
If I issue 'dm-tool add-seat xlocal' it does almost the same thing, but in addition also registers a new seat in LightDM (logind still sees only one seat), and uses the configuration in lightdm.conf. The problem is that I still cannot setup LightDM to do this automatically.
It would make sense to me that LightDM would allow something similar to what was done before so I can setup multiple sessions on different VTs with a single seat, but I cannot find any reference on how to do that.
Has anyone been able to figure this out?
comio
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp_alvarez wrote:
I know it is not polite to revive such old topics, but I'm having the same problem and cannot figure out for the life of me how to solve it.
Apparently LightDM (corrently) assumes logind will handle detecting the seats, but it seems to ignore the fact one may want to run multiple sessions with one seat only.
In my case I want the VT 7 to have one user logged in and VT 8 to have another user logged in with another DE.
The tool 'dm-tool' apparently is almost capable of doing that. If I issue 'dm-tool switch-to-greeter' it creates another session on the next available VT, but it goes to the greeter and does not login automatically. Also I cannot setup LightDM do this automatically. It only works if 'allow-user-switching = True' in lightdm.conf.
If I issue 'dm-tool add-seat xlocal' it does almost the same thing, but in addition also registers a new seat in LightDM (logind still sees only one seat), and uses the configuration in lightdm.conf. The problem is that I still cannot setup LightDM to do this automatically.
It would make sense to me that LightDM would allow something similar to what was done before so I can setup multiple sessions on different VTs with a single seat, but I cannot find any reference on how to do that.
Has anyone been able to figure this out?

I tried a lot of configs without solving. I hope a solution here :)

ciao

luigi

e

http://www.comio.it
:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: