SELinux - Removal?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: SELinux - Removal? Reply with quote

Hey team. I installed SELinux - Hardened sources on a small server many years ago.
I never really got around to enabling it and just ran it in permissive mode.
Spent many weeks on end trying to get my head around policies and permissions, and some critical programs I used just never worked.

So, now it is time to remove SELinux from my box and revert back to normal gentoo-sources.

I find it hilarious to see there is no mention of reverting back to a normal system anywhere in Gentoo documentation or wikis.

I have already installed the gentoo-sources kernel, and am currently using it, but can't for some reason seem to remove all selinux policies from my system.

Forgive the stupid question, but is it case of simply removing libselinux and performing an update.

I would not be wasting your precious time with such a stupid question if there was at least a hint of what to do on the Gentoo documentation.

Shame.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch profiles to a normal one and rebuild everything with emerge -e world followed by an emerge -ac

I can't actually guarantee that will work out though. Best make backups first. Removing SElinux from a desktop experiment rather backfired on me a while back.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the swift response Doctor.

I think it is much simpler than just rebuilding world.
The last time I was bitten by SELinux (I couldn't run any BOINC apps) I managed to remove it, and I am positive
I did not have to rebuild the entire world. It was so long ago I just can't remember the process.

The current server was built as a second attempt at SELinux, and again, it failed to function as according to the documentation, so it has been
sitting in permissive mode for the last 3 years. lol.

It's totally amazing there is no reference to the community through documentation in how to revert.

:roll:
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** UPDATE **

Okay so removing libselinux killed the system. Again, shame there was no warning in the documentation.

Never mind, did a complete reinstall without SELinux and started from scratch.

Suppose it's solved now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: