Enable/Disable xscreensaver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Enable/Disable xscreensaver Reply with quote

Apparently gamepad events don't keep xscreensaver from activating while I'm playing Steam games. I looked online to see if there is any obvious way of disabling xscreensaver for full-screen applications. I found the following in the XScreenSaver FAQ

Quote:
If you are using mpv or mplayer, put this in your ~/.mplayer/config file:

heartbeat-cmd="xscreensaver-command -deactivate >&- 2>&- &"

If you're using something else:

When you want to watch a movie, fire up xscreensaver-demo and select Mode: Disable Screen Saver from the option menu, which means not to blank the screen at all. When you're done watching the movie, re-select your previous mode.

That's kind of lame, I know. You should ask the author of the movie-playing software you are using to support xscreensaver.

So basically... manually kill the screensaver process. The first option is probably the command I'd want to use in a script and likely attach it to all gamepad events. What would be the best way of doing that?
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure screensavers are really necessary any more. What about getting rid of it? I also put

Code:

xset -dpms
xset s noblank
xset s off

in my wm/de's startup to keep the screen on no matter what.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use xautolock / alock / xeyes instead and can disable screensaver simply by moving the mouse to the lower-left corner. Which works fine for movies and such.

Not sure about games, even if you play with the gamepad, they tend to steal your mouse. That said I can't remember having an issue with gamepad playing, although I only use it for zSNES.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not required, but I like having the screen doing something when idle (I get up to have dinner at the couch or have company over, for example). Even when games steal the mouse the events register for xscreensaver, but gamepad/joystick events do not. I'd actually be looking to replicate this behavior.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: