Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
I am not a walkthrough guide, I can't give you any confirmation there unless I can see the changes myself. To be sure the changes are reasonable, you can view them first; e.g. you wouldn't like to unmask live versions (-9999) of packages.

You absolutely need to make yourself comfortable with etc-update or dispatch-conf, portage will ask you to update config files regularly in the future. Then use (1 - I want all the updates) or (2 - don't overwrite any of my settings) or (3 - I want to merge, but keep a few previously set config intact) on a case-by-case basis after review.

I *don't* care about portage, or its state, I *just* want the plasma desktop.

Now I have a slot conflict, openssl and poppler. Any idea on how to resolve this? In /etc/portage/package.mask, I have libtool, openrc and perl, which one do I edit?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:

Then you should stay away from Gentoo. Likewise, you would want to learn about apt-get when using Debian.

MrMe01 wrote:
Now I have a slot conflict, openssl and poppler. Any idea on how to resolve this? In /etc/portage/package.mask, I have libtool, openrc and perl, which one do I edit?

Not enough information.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

Then you should stay away from Gentoo. Likewise, you would want to learn about apt-get when using Debian.

MrMe01 wrote:

Not enough information.

At least apt-get makes sense to a noob :P

http://s9.postimg.org/dmkcyujr3/DSC8364.jpg
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Gentoo user has once started as a noob. Contrary, apt-get doesn't make sense to me at all.

Again, reading portage output might bring the solution already. Add --backtrack=30 to your emerge command (or a higher value on 2nd try).

PS: You don't need to take pictures of your monitor all the time. Use wgetpaste to redirect output to your favourite pastebin service.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Every Gentoo user has once started as a noob. Contrary, apt-get doesn't make sense to me at all.

Again, reading portage output might bring the solution already. Add --backtrack=30 to your emerge command (or a higher value on 2nd try).

PS: You don't need to take pictures of your monitor all the time. Use wgetpaste to redirect output to your favourite pastebin service.

I tried that earlier, it didn't work but I will try again.

Under Debian, all this would have been one command - apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop, granted that pulls down precompiled packages that literally unpack on the drive, but I'd have a desktop.

I'll try wgetpaste next time I need to capture my screen
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
Under Debian, all this would have been one command - apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop, granted that pulls down precompiled packages that literally unpack on the drive, but I'd have a desktop.

Gentoo does a lot more than that, gives you all the options, and thus creates a bit more work. Amazingly, it would still work mostly the same as in Debian, wouldn't you try to install a huge load of unstable packages on a stable system.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

Gentoo does a lot more than that, gives you all the options, and thus creates a bit more work. Amazingly, it would still work mostly the same as in Debian, wouldn't you try to install a huge load of unstable packages on a stable system.

It has displayed a similar message, but this time about masking the packages. However, I am obviously fighting a losing battle here. So I am going to try and install plain KDE. It has defeated me. Thank you very much for your help with this, I shall have to wait until it is mature.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-bit offtopic.

the debian handbook was confusing
ubuntu was a bit uncomfortable.

linux mint was a bit too unmaintainable. I have broken several isntallations over the year, with the self destroy apt-get.

yes debian may work, but only when you want exactly what is shipped. they did not keep any sources or anything everytime i wanted to update my boxes. regardless if they were ubuntu / mint boxes. and i had many of those in the past.
I hardly screwed up any of my gentoo boxes. arch-linux, oh yes, any debian based ones, for sure

--

i highly recommend you start reading about portage and how it works. all those questions would have not been asked when you have done that and when you have read a few pages of old topics... these questions do repeat all the time. how do i unmask. how do i do this in kde or that. ...

just my opinion.

and do not claim the package manager for everything. some older users have jsut found a way around to deal with those package manager issues, that'S called expierence.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
a-bit offtopic.

the debian handbook was confusing
ubuntu was a bit uncomfortable.

linux mint was a bit too unmaintainable. I have broken several isntallations over the year, with the self destroy apt-get.

yes debian may work, but only when you want exactly what is shipped. they did not keep any sources or anything everytime i wanted to update my boxes. regardless if they were ubuntu / mint boxes. and i had many of those in the past.
I hardly screwed up any of my gentoo boxes. arch-linux, oh yes, any debian based ones, for sure

--

i highly recommend you start reading about portage and how it works. all those questions would have not been asked when you have done that and when you have read a few pages of old topics... these questions do repeat all the time. how do i unmask. how do i do this in kde or that. ...

just my opinion.

and do not claim the package manager for everything. some older users have jsut found a way around to deal with those package manager issues, that'S called expierence.

I like Plasma under Debian/(k)Ubuntu, it breathes a huge amount of life into this old machine, I just don't like the (as you stated) rigidity of the OS behind Plasma. I quite literally wanted to see how it ran, I don't see the need to learn a great deal about a package management system, just to see how it runs. This is why I don't care about the state of the system behind it, for now. I quite literally want to go from installing the base OS, straight to my desktop of choice without smelling the roses on the way. Don't get me wrong, I like to smell the roses, just not right now. I have every intention of starting again with it and learning how to manage the system.

This is why I did not care about the state of Portage. I hope this helps to explain. Right now, it is hosed, and I get why now, it's an overcomplicated pile of parts (to me, right now) that seem to do amazing things when they're in the right hands.

I wasn't trying to circumvent steps in the 'I need a desktop OS, now' kind of mindset, but more of an 'is this worth it' way.

I will learn how to use the OS
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MrMe01, it seems like a lot to learn Portage at first but it's really not that bad (at least for an intermediate Linux user). The problem at first when you learn Gentoo is you get hit by all these little "paper cuts" related to things you have no experience with. It feels almost like you are learning Chinese. But with each thing you learn your knowledge builds and you are able to handle more issues yourself. Eventually you get to a point where you can handle just about anything -- up to the point where you have your own local overlay and are able to modify ebuilds yourself, if needed.

It really is a good idea to at least read the handbook "cover to cover". Especially all the sections under "Working with Gentoo", https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64 Then from there the relevant wiki entries combined with this forum helps quite a bit. One thing gained from reading the issues others are having is that you learn how to deal with them yourself should they later come up.

People can help you solve individual issues and can help you hack through them but unless you learn more of the basics you'll constantly be running into stuff like this and it will probably drive you nuts. So it really is much easier to just invest a couple hours here and there reading the docs. :)
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
@MrMe01, it seems like a lot to learn Portage at first but it's really not that bad (at least for an intermediate Linux user). The problem at first when you learn Gentoo is you get hit by all these little "paper cuts" related to things you have no experience with. It feels almost like you are learning Chinese. But with each thing you learn your knowledge builds and you are able to handle more issues yourself. Eventually you get to a point where you can handle just about anything -- up to the point where you have your own local overlay and are able to modify ebuilds yourself, if needed.

It really is a good idea to at least read the handbook "cover to cover". Especially all the sections under "Working with Gentoo", https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64 Then from there the relevant wiki entries combined with this forum helps quite a bit. One thing gained from reading the issues others are having is that you learn how to deal with them yourself should they later come up.

People can help you solve individual issues and can help you hack through them but unless you learn more of the basics you'll constantly be running into stuff like this and it will probably drive you nuts. So it really is much easier to just invest a couple hours here and there reading the docs. :)

I'm getting there :) I've asked a question on it, if you know the answer, please reply :P
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1031842-highlight-.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: