Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How is Plasma 5 working for you all these days?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:
Update
Since the last round of updates for KDE5:
Plasma 5.4.3
Frameworks 5.16
KDE-apps 15.08.3

I haven't had a "freeze" incident on either Gentoo amd64 or ~amd64 using KDE5 (plasma, frameworks and kde-apps). I haven't tested all computers yet.

The posting was too quick....within an hour of updating the other computers, the "freeze" incident started again on all computers.

davidbrooke wrote:
I was greeted with another plasma update version 5.4.49 while trying to update to version 5.4.3. So I decided to evaluate version 5.4.49. The following are all the KDE5 versions:
Plasma 5.4.49
Frameworks 5.16
KDE-apps 15.08.3

Gentoo amd64 and ~amd64:
1. While using Dolphin or system settings, the compositor quit and the window decoration disappeared. The window decoration in use was Papirus Dark. I either had to ctrl+alt+F1 to reboot or used the "cashew" (if it was available) to restart.

It seems I have basically the same problem of KDE not being usable whether using Plasma version 5.4.3 or 5.4.49 and I can't find an issue in the logs. I decided to remove the Papirus Dark window decoration and replace it with the Breeze window decoration. I made this change due to the fact I believe the "freeze" incident started when the Papirus Dark window decoration was added. It is now four days since the change and the above problems have been resolved. The change was made on five different installations with either Intel or Nvidia video drivers used. While the initial change was performed under Plasma 5.4.3, the bulk of the testing was under Plasma 5.5.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked great up until 5.5.0, after 5.5.0 krunner always crushes. this renders kde unusable.
shame.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
worked great up until 5.5.0, after 5.5.0 krunner always crushes. this renders kde unusable.
shame.

It's really starting to seem like they need to stop releasing things without better Quality Assurance. I know it's open source and we're all supposed to get our hands dirty to fix it but still it seems to me no release is better than a bad release with crashing regressions and huge memory leaks. I wish someone would step in and declare these (serious) things hard blockers and not budge on it until they are fixed -- even if that means no more frameworks or plasma releases for a year. Users need to be able to trust stable releases to be reasonably stable. Plasma 5 should no longer be in a sort of pre-alpha state as it was a year and a half ago.

That said I do appreciate KDE. It's what I run exclusively. But it's frustrating seeing this kind of thing. I tried [when I ran Plasma 5] to file bug reports where one wasn't already filed and for some other (less serious) issues I also tried rallying some users on another forum to help fix it. I also contacted the lead for one of the projects to bring some related bugs to his attention (he was very nice and responsive but unfortunately did not see an immediate cause for the bug). Unfortunately short of brushing up with "C++ For Dummies" I don't feel I can do much more. It may just come to that. I already tried to look at the code for some of these bugs but had no success seeing the cause. :(
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the KDE way. If you want slow and steady, you use GNOME. It's very frustrating and I for one run several builds so I can test a new release to be sure it actually works before going live with it.

That being said, apparently there are regressions in GCC 4.9.3 as well so maybe it's not always KDE's fault.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post this blog since there are views being expressed about issues. The blog in no way represents my views or do I object to its views.:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/10/some-thoughts-on-the-quality-of-plasma-5/
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've installed the minimal Plasma5, and I say that for now it's okay. I have nor kde4libs/apps, neither qt4 software besides skype. there are random plasma crashes, but they are not annoying.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:
Another old issue that I can't seem to find a remedy for:
I can't delete a file on the desktop using the following steps:
1. Left click and hold (drag) a file to the trash can icon.
2. Desktop error message - "access denied...." this is all I can read.
Any ideas?

This has been resolved in the recent update of Plasma 5.5 and/or Frameworks 5.17.
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also there is bug with kate: it stays in memory after closing.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fixed!

EDIT: Note to below: That from above.

Last edited by asturm on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
That's fixed!

what is that ?
kikko
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody
does anyone of you has issues with Panel? After the latest upgrade, I need multiple clicks to make Process Manager to "wake up" and (e.g.) switch window or show the menu...
Tray icons also are not working fine (do you suggest legacy-systray, perhaps?), Network icon is not showing and needs to be pulled away and re-added to the icon set
I've already tried to replace my panel with a default one, nothing changed
:?

root is the root of all evil
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:
I wanted to post this blog since there are views being expressed about issues. The blog in no way represents my views or do I object to its views.:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/10/some-thoughts-on-the-quality-of-plasma-5/

Well to be fair he of course brings up many valid points. The most serious bug which affected me with crashing was actually a nouveau related bug which was fixed. Also the issue with virtual desktops, activities and restoration seems to be now mainly a problem with QT. OTOH from what I read people are still often seeing what I would categorize as "extreme" memory leaks (plasmashell > 2G) but again to be fair within the bug report I am now seeing people claim that it might be more xserver related.
yzg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. After 5.5 upgrade kwin is crashing and kde is not usable.

@kikko, I had the same problem before the 5.5 upgrade.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.5.1 so far is running smooth as 5.4.3 has been. If any of you is still on 5.5.0, make sure you sync to get the latest updates.

EDIT: Well, it does seem to crash again when returning from screen standby...
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm considering giving it a shot again. I can probably live with the memory leaks and/or find a way to minimize them but oddly enough what I really need is the baloo rating integration with Dolphin and Gwenview.

This bug still has the status REOPENED but sometimes things jsut don't get updated:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339863

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can actually see the star ratings in (KF5) Dolphin (check the bug report above for some screenshots of the issue) ? If so, I'll probably give it a chance again! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: