Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How is Plasma 5 working for you all these days?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
davidm
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 557
Location: US

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: How is Plasma 5 working for you all these days? Reply with quote

I used to use it off and on but had to switch back to KDE4. There were a couple severe issues related to my use case surrounding some bugs in Plasma 5/QT5. At least one of those (Nouveau GPU VRAM related issues) was recently fixed but I'm wondering about some others. If you don't mind please fill me in. Switching to Plasma 5 again just to check and then back again would take me a good day or two and I can't always go by the bug reports because they don't always get updated.


1. How is the memory situation? Does it still appear to leak pretty badly?

Bug Report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344879



2. With Dolphin (the recent :5 version from 15.08.x) if you enable file ratings and rate a file say three stars does it actually show the rating either in the panel or the inline display or is it stuck still where everything appears to be five stars?

Bug Report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339863


3. For QT5 apps if you place an application on a different virtual desktop or activity and restart the computer does it come back on the proper desktop or activity when you restore the session?

Bug Reports:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341930
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-45484
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46310

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer any of your questions since they don't relate to me but I can comment on how KDE5 (plasma, frameworks and apps) are working for me.
Up until the latest updates (plasma 5.4.2, frameworks 5.15 and KDE-apps 15.08.2), my issues were being fixed. Now all four of my computers are freezing randomly which didn't occur before. The freezing can be defined as:
1. The application stops working but the mouse still is able to move but the mouse can not close the window, open the application menu, etc... I must ctrl+alt+f1 to reboot the computer.
2. The whole desktop freezes. The keyboard and mouse do not function at all and I must use the computer reset or power button to correct the issue.

Examples of conditions when the freezing occurs:
1. Kate and Konsole are open while syncing portage.
2. Using Dolphin.
3. Using Chrome and other KDE-apps.
4. Using Plex home theater frontend and other KDE-apps.
Example of conditions when freezing hasn't occurred:
1. Using Plex home theater frontend. I mainly use the computers for multi-media but also use them for regular desktop functions.
2. Using Chrome.

The computer hardware:
2 - Intel CI7-4770 using the GPU, 8 GB ram. KDE installed 5 months ago and seen several updates.
1 - Intel C2D 6400 using Nvidia GT 520, 4 GB ram. KDE installed 5 months ago and seen several updates.
1 - Intel CI3 550 using Nvidia GT 730, 4 GB ram. KDE installed 1 week ago.

Notes
Using Gentoo ~amd64
All the above computer have a working KDE4 installation.


Last edited by davidbrooke on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual example of a failure.
I was using Plex home theater and was going to update Gentoo via portage.
1. I opened kate and copied some text using the mouse. (I keep a copy of commonly used commands in a text file on the desktop. I copied "sudo emaint sync -a && sudo emerge -auvDN @world"
2. I selected konsole from the application menu.
3. Freeze variation #1 happened.
4. I reboot using ctrl+alt+f1.
5. After reboot, open kate and copy the same text.
6. Select konsole via the application menu.
7. Freeze variation #1 happens again.
8. I repeat steps 4 - 6 again the same result.
9. I ctrl+alt+f1 to console and update portage.
10. Reboot and everything seems fine.

This issue happened using one of the CI7-4770 computers. I performed the same steps on the other CI7-4770 without issue. Tomorrow the issue could reverse computers or not happen at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian
l33t
l33t


Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Posts: 834
Location: Somerville, MA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh...I thought the whole thing freezing up was a hardware issue on my end. Exact same symptom, everything stopped except for the mouse. I opened up my computer and found several dust bunnies had colonized it, since evicting them things seem to be better, but it's only been a day or two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7139
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@davidbrooke: I haven't seen anything like that. Are all these machines at the same state wrt package versions? If not, where's the common denominator? Anything to be seen in dmesg? Do you use gles2 (and egl) or not? Are the Nvidia powered ones running with nouveau or nvidia-drivers?
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1763
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Plasma 5 (plasma-meta-5.4.2) in ~amd64 on my Compal NBLB2 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 GPU and ati-drivers-15.9-r1). HTOP shows 1180/3943MB RAM in use and the only application I have launched is Firefox. Dolphin 15.08.2 usually (but not always) crashes when I select 'Control' > 'Configure Dolphin...'. Very occasionally the entire Plasma 5 DE freezes and I have to hold the laptop's power switch down to enable me to reboot. With plasma-meta-5.4.1, only one of the four KWin desktop cube faces was displayed, but that seems to have been fixed in plasma-meta-5.4.2. Nevertheless, on my main laptop (Clevo W230SS) I will not be installing Plasma 5 and will stick with KDE 4.14.3 for the time being. Plasma 5 looks promising, but it's not ready for prime time yet.
_________________
Clevo W230SS: amd64 OpenRC elogind nvidia-drivers & xf86-video-intel.
Compal NBLB2: ~amd64 OpenRC elogind xf86-video-ati. Dual boot Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
KDE on both.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
@davidbrooke: I haven't seen anything like that. Are all these machines at the same state wrt package versions?

Yes
plasma 5.4.2, frameworks 5.15 and KDE-apps 15.08.2

Quote:
If not, where's the common denominator?

The only thing common is KDE5 (plasma, frameworks and KDE-apps). I didn't have this issue of freezing until KDE-apps 15.08.2 was installed. I don't remember the freezing happening after upgrading to plasma 5.4.2, frameworks 5.15 on three of the computers. Once I started to get the freezing I decided to do a new install to see if the freezing would continue or disappear....and the freezing appeared on the new install as well.

Quote:
Anything to be seen in dmesg?

I haven't seen anything.

Quote:
Do you use gles2 (and egl) or not?

I'm using the following on all computers:
Rendering backend - Opengl 3.1
OpenGL interface - GLX

Quote:
Are the Nvidia powered ones running with nouveau or nvidia-drivers?

nvidia-drivers-358.09
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidm
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 557
Location: US

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@davidbrooke, sorry I have no idea what could be causing that if nothing is appearing in the logs. The one I ran into was AFAIK Nouveau related only and in fact has been fixed (with patches available now but should appear in the 4.3 kernel). That was here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1027004.html

[To be fair, after downgrading to KDE4 I soon discovered that the above bug also in fact occurred in kde4 - only far less often. This was the main bug which motivated me to downgrade to kde4.]

I may have missed it and you probably already tried it but you might check if it still does the same thing with compositing off.

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I'm using Plasma 5 (plasma-meta-5.4.2) in ~amd64 on my Compal NBLB2 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 GPU and ati-drivers-15.9-r1). HTOP shows 1180/3943MB RAM in use and the only application I have launched is Firefox. Dolphin 15.08.2 usually (but not always) crashes when I select 'Control' > 'Configure Dolphin...'. Very occasionally the entire Plasma 5 DE freezes and I have to hold the laptop's power switch down to enable me to reboot. With plasma-meta-5.4.1, only one of the four KWin desktop cube faces was displayed, but that seems to have been fixed in plasma-meta-5.4.2. Nevertheless, on my main laptop (Clevo W230SS) I will not be installing Plasma 5 and will stick with KDE 4.14.3 for the time being. Plasma 5 looks promising, but it's not ready for prime time yet.


Hello Fitzcarraldo, may I ask after a day or so of using plasmashell what does it show its memory use as in Ksysguard/System Monitor? I was hitting a situation where it would get over 2.4 GB (out of 8GB) in a few days which clearly indicated a pretty severe leak. Oddly at some point before it was fixed for a time and I was leak free but then it seemed to regress.

One thing I think would help the KDE user's experience a lot on Gentoo would be to keep a few more versions of the plasma and frameworks packages around in Portage for a while longer. This way when people hit a bug they can easily revert with full support. I guess we do that in a way right now with kde4 packages also being available but it would be a good idea to do it more also with the "kde5" versions. I know the developers are already stretched pretty thin though....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1763
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Hello Fitzcarraldo, may I ask after a day or so of using plasmashell what does it show its memory use as in Ksysguard/System Monitor? I was hitting a situation where it would get over 2.4 GB (out of 8GB) in a few days which clearly indicated a pretty severe leak. Oddly at some point before it was fixed for a time and I was leak free but then it seemed to regress.

I'm departing tomorrow morning for a work trip lasting several weeks, so I cannot try that at the moment. However, I left the laptop running for 3 hours this afternoon and memory use crept up from 1180 to 1523 MB. So the memory leak in Plasma 5.4.1 seems to still exist in 5.4.2.
_________________
Clevo W230SS: amd64 OpenRC elogind nvidia-drivers & xf86-video-intel.
Compal NBLB2: ~amd64 OpenRC elogind xf86-video-ati. Dual boot Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
KDE on both.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Hello Fitzcarraldo, may I ask after a day or so of using plasmashell what does it show its memory use as in Ksysguard/System Monitor? I was hitting a situation where it would get over 2.4 GB (out of 8GB) in a few days which clearly indicated a pretty severe leak. Oddly at some point before it was fixed for a time and I was leak free but then it seemed to regress.

I have reviewed plasmashell via Ksysguard/System Monitor for the last 24 hours. I have watched the memory column and it varies between 84M-106M.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:
I can't answer any of your questions since they don't relate to me but I can comment on how KDE5 (plasma, frameworks and apps) are working for me.
Up until the latest updates (plasma 5.4.2, frameworks 5.15 and KDE-apps 15.08.2), my issues were being fixed. Now all four of my computers are freezing randomly which didn't occur before. The freezing can be defined as:
1. The application stops working but the mouse still is able to move but the mouse can not close the window, open the application menu, etc... I must ctrl+alt+f1 to reboot the computer.
2. The whole desktop freezes. The keyboard and mouse do not function at all and I must use the computer reset or power button to correct the issue.

Examples of conditions when the freezing occurs:
1. Kate and Konsole are open while syncing portage.
2. Using Dolphin.
3. Using Chrome and other KDE-apps.
4. Using Plex home theater frontend and other KDE-apps.
Example of conditions when freezing hasn't occurred:
1. Using Plex home theater frontend. I mainly use the computers for multi-media but also use them for regular desktop functions.
2. Using Chrome.

The computer hardware:
2 - Intel CI7-4770 using the GPU, 8 GB ram. KDE installed 5 months ago and seen several updates.
1 - Intel C2D 6400 using Nvidia GT 520, 4 GB ram. KDE installed 5 months ago and seen several updates.
1 - Intel CI3 550 using Nvidia GT 730, 4 GB ram. KDE installed 1 week ago.

Notes
Using Gentoo ~amd64
All the above computer have a working KDE4 installation.

I installed KDE5 (plasma, frameworks and apps) with Gentoo amd64 and the freezing issue has reduced occurrences on all four computers. I no longer get "The whole desktop freezes" (#2 variant) and the #1 variant happens less (10% - 30% vs 50%). Also I wanted to reiterate that the freezing issue didn't start until I updated kde apps 15.08.2. I initially installed the KDE apps via kde-apps-meta. There was an issue with kde-apps-meta, has that been resolved?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7139
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What issue?
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a prior issue with kde-apps:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1028658-highlight-.html

What I didn't exactly document was that kensington gave more detail about the issue, which was:
kde-apps-meta-15.08.1 wasn't working correctly at that time and was causing the kde4 apps to be pulled in. So he told me to remove kde-apps-meta.
I have since re-installed kde-apps-meta-15.08.2 and wanted to make sure:
1. If the original issue was corrected?
2. If there could be any link to the current freezing issue I am having?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Atmmac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 130
Location: Watertown, MA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly Plasma 5 has been rock solid for me. The only issue I have is sometimes if I select shutdown nothing will pop up. I then drop into a konsole window and do a halt. I also have problems when SDDM gets updated it drops my configuration settings for optimus so I get the black screen and have to re enter my xrandr settings. Other than that though solid as a rock. I am very impressed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
Since the last round of updates for KDE5:
Plasma 5.4.3
Frameworks 5.16
KDE-apps 15.08.3

I haven't had a "freeze" incident on either Gentoo amd64 or ~amd64 using KDE5 (plasma, frameworks and kde-apps). I haven't tested all computers yet.

Another old issue that I can't seem to find a remedy for:
I can't delete a file on the desktop using the following steps:
1. Left click and hold (drag) a file to the trash can icon.
2. Desktop error message - "access denied...." this is all I can read.
Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jan 2015
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was greeted with another plasma update version 5.4.49 while trying to update to version 5.4.3. So I decided to evaluate version 5.4.49. The following are all the KDE5 versions:
Plasma 5.4.49
Frameworks 5.16
KDE-apps 15.08.3

Gentoo ~amd64:
1. While using Dolphin or system settings, the compositor quit and the window decoration disappeared. The window decoration in use was Papirus Dark. I either had to ctrl+alt+F1 to reboot or used the "cashew" (if it was available) to restart.
2. While using Plex Home Theater and Mythtv there were alot of intermittent artifacts during menu use but not during video viewing.

Gentoo amd64
1. While using Dolphin or system settings, the compositor quit and the window decoration disappeared. The window decoration in use was Papirus Dark. I either had to ctrl+alt+F1 to reboot or used the "cashew" (if it was available) to restart.

Summation
Item #1 for both stable and testing caused me to revert back to plasma version 5.4.3.
Item #2 for ~amd64, is probably due to some graphics package and not KDE. There is a newer version of mesa being used in testing.
Intel and Nvidia gpu's were tested on both stable and testing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Aug 2010
Posts: 146
Location: Eire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How is Plasma 5 working for you all these days? Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
I used to use it off and on but had to switch back to KDE4. There were a couple severe issues related to my use case surrounding some bugs in Plasma 5/QT5. At least one of those (Nouveau GPU VRAM related issues) was recently fixed but I'm wondering about some others. If you don't mind please fill me in. Switching to Plasma 5 again just to check and then back again would take me a good day or two and I can't always go by the bug reports because they don't always get updated.


1. How is the memory situation? Does it still appear to leak pretty badly?

Bug Report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344879



2. With Dolphin (the recent :5 version from 15.08.x) if you enable file ratings and rate a file say three stars does it actually show the rating either in the panel or the inline display or is it stuck still where everything appears to be five stars?

Bug Report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339863


3. For QT5 apps if you place an application on a different virtual desktop or activity and restart the computer does it come back on the proper desktop or activity when you restore the session?

Bug Reports:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341930
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-45484
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46310

Thank you.


Hey ! Had some major issues with a fresh install pre 5.4.2, im on ~amd64. I dont use sddm but rather lightdm, sddm never worked initially, some bug cant remember so I ditched it. Anyway since 5.4.2 everything is really solid and Im hesitating to update. On a side note I have had major issues with certain applications menu bars being completely black when changing the qtgraphicsystem to opengl. Moving back to raster fixed that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mounty1
l33t
l33t


Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 792
Location: Queensland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: KDE5 still no-go for me Reply with quote

I'm trying it on three machines:
  • A Dell desktop
  • An HP laptop
  • A VM with XDMCP display
On all three, lightdm with lightdm-kde-greeter just shows a white screen and no login dialog. If I startkde directly, it produces loads of wierd error messages and plasma crashes repeatedly. 5.4.3 everywhere.
_________________
Michael Mounteney
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7139
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use lightdm-kde-greeter. How did you install plasma-5? Do you use the standard plasma profile or some custom use flag settings?
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mounty1
l33t
l33t


Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 792
Location: Queensland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: hopefully standard Reply with quote

I was only using lightdm-kde-greeter as a simple test of KDE+plasma. In all three cases, I switched profile to systemd/plasma then emerged plasma-meta.

I was told that gcc-4.9.3 had regressions --- is anyone successfully building with that version? Oh, and just in case it's relevant, from the HP laptop:
emerge --info:
Portage 2.2.24 (python 2.7.10-final-0, default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd, gcc-4.9.3, glibc-2.22-r1, 4.1.6-gentoo i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.1.6-gentoo-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_M_processor_1.86GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     1025976 total,    837436 free
KiB Swap:    2003364 total,   2003364 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:45:01 +0000
sh bash 4.3_p42
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.25.1 p1.1) 2.25.1
ccache version 3.2.4 [enabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p42::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:     2.2.0::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.22.0::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.10-r2::gentoo, 3.4.3-r2::gentoo
dev-util/ccache:          3.2.4::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.3.2-r1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.18.3::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.9::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r1::gentoo, 1.13.4::gentoo, 1.14.1::gentoo, 1.15::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.25.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            4.9.3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.3::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.22-r1::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    location: /usr/portage
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

Installed sets: @kde5-laptop, @powerful
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.6/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.6/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.6/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs ccache config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Gentoo ftp://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Gentoo "
LANG="en_GB.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j3 -s"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/home"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52 aac acl acpi alsa autoipd avahi berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus declarative disk-partition doc dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr embedded emboss encode exif extras fam firefox flac fontconfig foomatic fortran gbm gd gdbm gif git glamor glibc-omitfp gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk iconv imap inotify ipmi java jpeg jpeg2k kde kipi kpathsea lame laptop latex lcms ldap libnotify lzma lzo mad mercurial mmap mms mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg msn musepack ncurses networkmanager nfsv41 nls nntp npp nptl nsplugin odbc ogg openexr opengl openmp oscar oss pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit postgres ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 quicktime rdesktop readline real rss sasl sdl seccomp semantic-desktop session slang smime spam-report spamassassin spell sql ssh ssl startup-notification subversion svg systemd taglib tcpd theora threads tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb v4l2 vaapi vcd vim-syntax vnc vorbis wavpack wayland webkit widgets win32codecs wmf wxwidgets x264 x86 xattr xcb xcomposite xface xine xinerama xml xnest xpm xscreensaver xv xvid yahoo zlib" ABI_X86="32" ALSA_CARDS="atiixp" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2" CURL_SSL="gnutls" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="en en_GB" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby21" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

_________________
Michael Mounteney
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1763
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
davidm wrote:
Hello Fitzcarraldo, may I ask after a day or so of using plasmashell what does it show its memory use as in Ksysguard/System Monitor? I was hitting a situation where it would get over 2.4 GB (out of 8GB) in a few days which clearly indicated a pretty severe leak. Oddly at some point before it was fixed for a time and I was leak free but then it seemed to regress.

I'm departing tomorrow morning for a work trip lasting several weeks, so I cannot try that at the moment. However, I left the laptop running for 3 hours this afternoon and memory use crept up from 1180 to 1523 MB. So the memory leak in Plasma 5.4.1 seems to still exist in 5.4.2.

I arrived home from my work trip and decided to upgrade to the latest version in the main tree to see if the memory leak problem still occurs.

Code:
$ eix -I plasma-meta
[I] kde-plasma/plasma-meta
     Available versions:  (5) (~)5.4.2 (~)5.4.3
       {bluetooth +display-manager gtk mediacenter networkmanager pulseaudio +sddm sdk +wallpapers}
     Installed versions:  5.4.3(5)(03:09:14 01/12/15)(bluetooth display-manager gtk networkmanager pulseaudio sddm wallpapers -mediacenter -sdk)
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/
     Description:         Merge this to pull in all Plasma 5 packages

'emerge -uvDN world' ran through without a hitch, but stability is now worse: the installation hangs from time to time when I'm browsing (I'm using Firefox 42.0-r2), and seems to hang more often when I'm trying to view videos in YouTube. Performance (refresh of the Firefox window when I change its size, refresh of bookmark sub-menus, etc.) is sluggish too -- that is if the installation does not hang completely. The only thing I can do is to switch off the laptop by holding down the Power switch for several seconds, then switch on again and boot up. The latest version of ati-drivers, Plasma 5, Firefox, etc. in the Portage main tree are installed. I have not had a chance to try much else yet, but the Notes widget caused Plasma 5 to crash when I tried to edit the text in a note (I had to Unlock Widgets to stop this happening, which is not something I have to do in KDE 4 on my main laptop). So, in my case, 5.4.3 is a disappointment.

EDIT: Trying to edit text in the Notes widget causes Plasma to crash, not hang.
_________________
Clevo W230SS: amd64 OpenRC elogind nvidia-drivers & xf86-video-intel.
Compal NBLB2: ~amd64 OpenRC elogind xf86-video-ati. Dual boot Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
KDE on both.

Fitzcarraldo's blog


Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Jun 2012
Posts: 450

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two questions about Plasma 5 (i dont use it):
- On which distributions is it already used?
- Are on these distributions patches available that prevent the mem leak?
_________________
// valid again: I forgot about the git access. Now 1.2GB big. Start: 2015-06-25
git daily portage tree
Web: https://portage.schorsch-tech.de
git clone https://portage.schorsch-tech.de/portage.git
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidm
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 557
Location: US

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Fitzcarraldo wrote:
davidm wrote:
Hello Fitzcarraldo, may I ask after a day or so of using plasmashell what does it show its memory use as in Ksysguard/System Monitor? I was hitting a situation where it would get over 2.4 GB (out of 8GB) in a few days which clearly indicated a pretty severe leak. Oddly at some point before it was fixed for a time and I was leak free but then it seemed to regress.

I'm departing tomorrow morning for a work trip lasting several weeks, so I cannot try that at the moment. However, I left the laptop running for 3 hours this afternoon and memory use crept up from 1180 to 1523 MB. So the memory leak in Plasma 5.4.1 seems to still exist in 5.4.2.

I arrived home from my work trip and decided to upgrade to the latest version in the main tree to see if the memory leak problem still occurs.

Code:
$ eix -I plasma-meta
[I] kde-plasma/plasma-meta
     Available versions:  (5) (~)5.4.2 (~)5.4.3
       {bluetooth +display-manager gtk mediacenter networkmanager pulseaudio +sddm sdk +wallpapers}
     Installed versions:  5.4.3(5)(03:09:14 01/12/15)(bluetooth display-manager gtk networkmanager pulseaudio sddm wallpapers -mediacenter -sdk)
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/
     Description:         Merge this to pull in all Plasma 5 packages

'emerge -uvDN world' ran through without a hitch, but stability is now worse: the installation hangs from time to time when I'm browsing (I'm using Firefox 42.0-r2), and seems to hang more often when I'm trying to view videos in YouTube. Performance (refresh of the Firefox window when I change its size, refresh of bookmark sub-menus, etc.) is sluggish too -- that is if the installation does not hang completely. The only thing I can do is to switch off the laptop by holding down the Power switch for several seconds, then switch on again and boot up. The latest version of ati-drivers, Plasma 5, Firefox, etc. in the Portage main tree are installed. I have not had a chance to try much else yet, but the Notes widget caused Plasma 5 to crash when I tried to edit the text in a note (I had to Unlock Widgets to stop this happening, which is not something I have to do in KDE 4 on my main laptop). So, in my case, 5.4.3 is a disappointment.

EDIT: Trying to edit text in the Notes widget causes Plasma to crash, not hang.


Hopefully they can get things as stable as kde4 was/is. I've decided I'm just going to stay on kde4 until all the major problems I spoke of are fixed and all kde4 functionality is there. Either that or until I am forced to switch. I love the bleeding edge and improvements but I've already went back and forth a couple times from Kde4 to plasma 5 and I want the next switch to be the last one.

Thanks everyone for the input so far by the way!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mir3x
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Jun 2012
Posts: 431

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used KF5 few monhs ago, but switched back to KDE4:

I notticed that some window themes derived from KDE4 might slow/freeze desktop sometimes ( so try switching them if u see some slowdowns )

Also redshift ( program to change colors of screen via xrandr ) - was causing big slow downs of youtube videos.

It might help someone.

BTW. plasma started leaking in KDE4 too , after 10 hours plasma-desktop might take even 1GB for me
_________________
Installation aborted to prevent system self-destruction
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Jun 2012
Posts: 450

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just randomly searched the kde bug tracker:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344879

A nice hint:
Comment #18 wrote:

Ok David, that's it!

When I turn off the tray icon in transmission-qt (under preferences>desktop), the memory usage stops rising.

Good to know.

_________________
// valid again: I forgot about the git access. Now 1.2GB big. Start: 2015-06-25
git daily portage tree
Web: https://portage.schorsch-tech.de
git clone https://portage.schorsch-tech.de/portage.git
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum