View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Plasma - No ebuilds to satisfy "sys-auth/polkit-qt[qt5] Reply with quote

I'm trying to run "emerge --ask kde-plasma/plasma-desktop", following the steps listed here, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#Profile

Attached image http://s9.postimg.org/he46k40i7/DSC8363.jpg

I've looked at the instructions, /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords is a text file not a path so I can't cd into it.
/var/lib/layman/ doesn't exist.

Any ideas on how to fix this? :)
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may set the qt5 flag globally.

or

echo "sys-auth/polkit-qt qt5" >> /etc/portage/package.use

--

Code:
man portage

or gentoo wiki may be also a starting point. I am not sure if portage is explained in that detail in the gentoo handbook.

--

Last few lines, so you see the syntax of that file.

Code:
tail /etc/portage/package.use
net-misc/iputils -gcrypt

sys-apps/iproute2 -berkdb -iptables minimal -atm -ipv6
sys-apps/hwloc -opencl
media-libs/mesa -llvm -opencl

dev-lang/mono -minimal
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources symlink experimental
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
You may set the qt5 flag globally.

or

echo "sys-auth/polkit-qt qt5" >> /etc/portage/package.use

--

Code:
man portage

or gentoo wiki may be also a starting point. I am not sure if portage is explained in that detail in the gentoo handbook.

--

Last few lines, so you see the syntax of that file.

Code:
tail /etc/portage/package.use
net-misc/iputils -gcrypt

sys-apps/iproute2 -berkdb -iptables minimal -atm -ipv6
sys-apps/hwloc -opencl
media-libs/mesa -llvm -opencl

dev-lang/mono -minimal
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources symlink experimental

I'm getting the error "/etc/portage/package.use is a directory" ?

Just tried to add it to /package.accept_keywords. No luck

The emerge system with use flags seems to be very complicated. So used to apt-get install.

I've never had any luck with man pages, I'm not sure if it has ever answered a question quicker than a forum or Google. Just seems that my questions seem to be a bit more esoteric for Google :P
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:

It can be a file or directory, if it is a directory, create a file with that content inside the directory.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

It can be a file or directory, if it is a directory, create a file with that content inside the directory.

Of course! So obvious! I knew I was missing something. Thank you :D
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
genstorm wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

Creating the file with nano tells me that it exists. Do I create it in /portage or /portage/package.use?
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:
genstorm wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

Creating the file with nano tells me that it exists. Do I create it in /portage or /portage/package.use?

Just tried, doesn't work. Seriously, I'm not new to Linux, but this is verging on silly now. Why can't it accept that I want to use those packages? Why won't it take it as red that I do want to install stuff that's required for the end goal. I want plasma, I want it to install the required dependencies.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of frustration, I renamed the folder and created a new document with nano. Ran this 'echo "sys-auth/polkit-qt qt5" >> /etc/portage/package.use', nano'ed the file to see if it worked. Seemed to enter the text just fine, ran the emerge request again. Same difference. Trying to emerge the packages manually now.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, does "sys-auth/polkit-qt[qt5]" exist in the package database?
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:

No it doesn't exist, the closest it can find is https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-auth/polkit-qt. So why the hell is it trying to satisfy it? Have I found a bug? Or am I being a complete noob?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

No it doesn't exist, the closest it can find is https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-auth/polkit-qt. So why the hell is it trying to satisfy it? Have I found a bug? Or am I being a complete noob?

[ ... ] are used for useflags when portage tells you something

Code:
eix polkit-qt
[I] sys-auth/polkit-qt
     Available versions:  0.112.0-r1^t {debug examples +qt4 qt5}
     Installed versions:  0.112.0-r1^t(20:10:19 27.10.2015)(qt4 -debug -examples -qt5)
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/
     Description:         PolicyKit Qt4 API wrapper library

Please read a bit in the wiki about portage / or in general in this forum, thanks
Or just the manpage.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

MrMe01 ... the '[qt5]' denotes a 'useflag', and yes, it exists ...

Code:
# eix -e sys-auth/polkit-qt
* sys-auth/polkit-qt
     Available versions:  0.112.0-r1^t {debug examples +qt4 qt5}
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/
     Description:         PolicyKit Qt4 API wrapper library

So, basically, you need to 'satisfy' the useflag ... ie, enable it.

best ... khay
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 ls --full-time /etc/portage/
total 132
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2015-10-24 22:35:31.256937703 +0200 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 2015-06-07 21:05:14.761658954 +0200 env
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    92 2015-09-08 22:57:46.570692616 +0200 package.keywords
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   945 2015-10-20 17:54:39.140161468 +0200 package.mask
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    16 2015-10-22 13:48:22.316512782 +0200 package.unmask
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1895 2015-10-29 12:31:17.636865691 +0100 package.use
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    17 2015-08-21 21:41:53.215764628 +0200 package_accept_keywords
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 2015-08-22 23:56:22.507104481 +0200 patches
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2015-10-24 22:35:31.256937703 +0200 postsync.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2015-10-25 12:22:35.347464884 +0100 repo.postsync.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2015-09-06 22:11:16.919098048 +0200 repos.conf
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 2014-11-29 13:01:04.564142274 +0100 savedconfig
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2015-10-15 14:05:19.040539576 +0200 sets

Here is a working structure.

As genstorm already pointed out. I will take the freedrom to rephrase it. Portage is able to handle directories and files.

You can follow my way and go for the files only way! Which I recommend to you!

Or you can go for subdirectories, which needs to be named in a special pattern (which i do not care because i do not use that option)

When you want to solve that issue very fast:

a) copy my structure
b) do as i told you and you are done
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To both of you, thank you for clarifying that.

Is there any way I can completely ignore and accept all when it comes to use? I just want a desktop, not a headache. Compiling the required libraries for Plasma took well over 24 hours to finish, I don't really see the need to go chasing my tail over stuff that I really don't care about right now, like use. I'll work that out how that works and what it does later, having instructions that miss steps out (the logical step for a new user will be to install a desktop, they should be noob friendly), bombarding users with [stuff in square brackets] that's meaningless is just frustrating. I don't want to trawl through endless wiki pages and dig around in the awfulness that is man pages for stuff that I'm not sure about. I just want to enter commands and expect stuff to work, or fail in predictable ways that a Google search or two can answer.

This does not mean I am afraid to edit text files, but when I'm told a command will work as it's either a file or a folder, creating the file with nano, only for nano to tell me it cannot create a file because a folder with the same name exists in that folder. What the?! That's when things get annoying.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
I'm told a command will work as it's either a file or a folder, creating the file with nano, only for nano to tell me it cannot create a file because a folder with the same name exists in that folder. What the?! That's when things get annoying.

Naturally, you can't create a file when a directory with the same name already exists, and that's what has been told to you. ;) Gentoo Handbook/Wikis expect a minimum amount of flexibility whenever you are told to put something inside /etc/portage/package.{keywords,mask,unmask,use} because only you, the user, can know how you have organised those (as folders or files). It would be extremely redundant to show all the possibilities on every occasion.

Use `ls` to find out about the contents of a directory.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet I'm no further forward. I'm gonna give up. I've spent far too long on this. The effort to payoff is no longer worth it. I chose Gentoo as I want the smallest amount of stuff on what's a relatively small disk and have a great, smooth experience on a laptop that has a great screen and battery life that's otherwise past it for Windows and the more bloated Linux installs out there.

I've come to the conclusion that emerge is a clusterf*ck for anyone that just wants stuff to work. I really do not care about use, having multiple documents that define what can be used where and when. I *just* want to edit the right document with the right string and for the command to work. I've edited the file as instructed, yet it didn't work. I got further once I ran 'echo "-qt5" >> /etc/portage/profile/use.stable.mask' but then I was faced with what could be the worst interface for dealing with dependencies, or a duplicate dependency.

Thank you all for your time with helping me, it is greatly appreciated.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMe01 wrote:
Is there any way I can completely ignore and accept all when it comes to use? I just want a desktop, not a headache. Compiling the required libraries for Plasma took well over 24 hours to finish, I don't really see the need to go chasing my tail over stuff that I really don't care about right now, like use. I'll work that out how that works and what it does later, having instructions that miss steps out (the logical step for a new user will be to install a desktop, they should be noob friendly), bombarding users with [stuff in square brackets] that's meaningless is just frustrating. I don't want to trawl through endless wiki pages and dig around in the awfulness that is man pages for stuff that I'm not sure about. I just want to enter commands and expect stuff to work, or fail in predictable ways that a Google search or two can answer.

MrMe01 ... you have two choices, you either satisfy the use requirement that the package manager is saying is needed to fulfil the task, or you don't. Your complaint is essentially meaningless, it has nothing to do with ease of use, or what-have-you, it has everything to do with how the package manager functions. Mostly useflags can be ignored, and/or are covered by the 'profile' being used (of which you haven't mentioned), BUT, if a useflag 'needs satisfied' then there is no avoiding it. In this case 'qt4' is the default (I assume, because that is what 'kde4' needs, and this 'satisfies' the standard package requirement), however, you have an option to use qt5 (which it seems is needed for plasma), and the package manager is simply informing you of the fact.

The issue above is little more than a missing useflag, this may be due to the profile you're using, or the level of stabilisation plasma-desktop has (didn't look), whatever the cause, this sort of thing is exactly why we use gentoo, it doesn't intend to be "noob friendly", it intends to offer the ability to get the desired outcome (where that desired outcome is what the user wants rather than what the distribution decided they should have ... because they don't know any better). That flexibility comes with a price, you need to understand how it functions ... and that requires skill. So, gentoo isn't targeting the subset of users who "expect stuff to work", its targeting users who want it to work a certain way ...

best ... khay
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
MrMe01 wrote:

MrMe01 ... you have two choices, you either satisfy the use requirement that the package manager is saying is needed to fulfil the task, or you don't. Your complaint is essentially meaningless, it has nothing to do with ease of use, or what-have-you, it has everything to do with how the package manager functions. Mostly useflags can be ignored, and/or are covered by the 'profile' being used (of which you haven't mentioned), BUT, if a useflag 'needs satisfied' then there is no avoiding it. In this case 'qt4' is the default (I assume, because that is what 'kde4' needs, and this 'satisfies' the standard package requirement), however, you have an option to use qt5 (which it seems is needed for plasma), and the package manager is simply informing you of the fact.

The issue above is little more than a missing useflag, this may be due to the profile you're using, or the level of stabilisation plasma-desktop has (didn't look), whatever the cause, this sort of thing is exactly why we use gentoo, it doesn't intend to be "noob friendly", it intends to offer the ability to get the desired outcome (where that desired outcome is what the user wants rather than what the distribution decided they should have ... because they don't know any better). That flexibility comes with a price, you need to understand how it functions ... and that requires skill. So, gentoo isn't targeting the subset of users who "expect stuff to work", its targeting users who want it to work a certain way ...

best ... khay

So why are the instructions for Plasma incomplete? There's nothing on the page with the instructions on how to install Plasma I did not do, until I became unstuck. I came here to learn, yet I'm frustrated.

I've been using Debian based OSes for a while now and they're easy to use, but I wanted something I could tear into, really make it my own and have a great machine at the end of it. The package manager makes no sense whatsoever, it's overly complicated. I assume by profile you're referring to the eselect thing?

If it's not noob friendly, then why not make the installation document hard to understand? I followed it with ease. No, what's hard about this is outputs from errors that aren't well logged by default and make no sense.

Replied from my phone, please forgive the fragmented nature of this.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that Plasma-5 is not yet stabilised, so documentation will not be finished/have some rough edges. It also means that as a stable user, you have a lot of unmasking to do, which can make it even harder for a newcomer.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Please note that Plasma-5 is not yet stabilised, so documentation will not be finished/have some rough edges. It also means that as a stable user, you have a lot of unmasking to do, which can make it even harder for a newcomer.

Well, this has got my interest back, I cannot remember the exact thing it told me to do, but Googling for it told me I should run dispatch-conf. I believe I either merged them or used newer, thinking either one would work. Running it now seems to do nothing. How do I unf*ck this?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var/lib/layman will only exist if you actually set up the use of overlays, which is briefly mentioned at the top of the guide. But let's not go there for now, even though the unmask files there do provide more value to a stable user ironically; the use of overlay contents should probably be better distinguished in the wiki.

Let's check what profile you have chosen:
Code:
eselect profile list

Next, let's look at an option that portage provides (`man emerge` is your friend):
Code:
--autounmask-write [ y | n ]
              If --autounmask is enabled, changes are written to config files, respecting CONFIG_PROTECT and --ask.  If the corresponding  pack‐
              age.*  is  a  file,  the changes are appended to it, if it is a directory, changes are written to the lexicographically last file.
              This way it is always ensured that the new changes take precedence over existing changes. This  option  is  automatically  enabled
              with --ask.

So, if you do `emerge --ask kde-plasma/plasma-meta` portage will provide a list of necessary changes to package.keywords/package.use/package.unmask, and ask you to automatically apply those changes or not. This is what portage tells you in your provided screenshot (or rather that must have happened already in the preceeding emerge run of yours). First of all, there's news to read, second, changes to protected config files are always to be reviewed and then applied by the user. The standard tool to do so is `etc-update`.
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

Let's check what profile you have chosen:
Code:
eselect profile list

[8] default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/plasma

genstorm wrote:

Next, let's look at an option that portage provides (`man emerge` is your friend):
Code:
--autounmask-write [ y | n ]
              If --autounmask is enabled, changes are written to config files, respecting CONFIG_PROTECT and --ask.  If the corresponding  pack‐
              age.*  is  a  file,  the changes are appended to it, if it is a directory, changes are written to the lexicographically last file.
              This way it is always ensured that the new changes take precedence over existing changes. This  option  is  automatically  enabled
              with --ask.

So, if you do `emerge --ask kde-plasma/plasma-meta` portage will provide a list of necessary changes to package.keywords/package.use/package.unmask. This is what portage tells you in your provided screenshot. First of all, there's news to read, second, changes to protected config files are always to be reviewed and then applied by the user. The standard tool to do so is `etc-update`.

I'm at the etc-update prompt now, /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-update shouldn't be hard to follow - did you proceed?
MrMe01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
etc-update shouldn't be hard to follow - did you proceed?

No, this is the interface I messed up with earlier. I'm not taking any chances again. Do I 1) replace, 2) delete and keep the original or 3) interactively merge? I assume 1, but please confirm.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a walkthrough guide, I can't give you any confirmation there unless I can see the changes myself. To be sure the changes are reasonable, you can view them first; e.g. you wouldn't like to unmask live versions (-9999) of packages.

You absolutely need to make yourself comfortable with etc-update or dispatch-conf, portage will ask you to update config files regularly in the future. Then use (1 - I want all the updates) or (2 - don't overwrite any of my settings) or (3 - I want to merge, but keep a few previously set config intact) on a case-by-case basis after review.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: