Plugged external vga into E17, both screens blanked
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Plugged external vga into E17, both screens blanked Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I am ashamed to admit that I have never managed to get gentoo running on my laptop (something about it never recognizing the hard drive), so my lappy is stuck with "§$&%!! Ubuntu.

On that laptop, I have Enlightenment 17. Several months ago, I plugged an external projector into my laptop's VGA port. The projector gets a signal, but before anything shows up, both screens go black.

Ever since, when I try to run E17, I just get a black screen, even with no more VGA plugged in. I am dumb with enlightenment, so here I am, asking: is there a set of settings that Enlightenment uses for its screens? If so, where is the file I can edit to get it back to my regular desktop? I can use X just fine with Ubuntu's hideous default desktop, so I'm assuming that the problem is with Enlightenment.

Please don't hate me for Ubuntu. trust me: I hate it, too :(

Cheers,

EE
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may try with a new user / or clean homedirectory.

it also depends on the gpu driver in use in the first place (i think so)

and also i believe that is more x-server related as anything else

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr

those desctop environments just use some fancy guis / config files which they pull over the x-server components.
x-server components are in my point of view x-server / modules / xrandr / and the gpu-drivers.

for using an external monitor, for example the binary blob nvidia driver + acpi (for keycodes) + nvidia-settings usually works.

I am sure arch wiki / gentoo wiki has pages about your desctop environments configurations files. usually they hide in your home directory. check those hidden files / directories too.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turns out moving my ~/.e/ directory to a new name (ie, resetting to default) worked around the issue. I still wish I knew what happened, though. Is there some procedure I need to follow to add an external monitor to a laptop with e17? Running Ubuntu's Unity/GNOME wm seemingly added the second screen automatically; I wonder why that didn't happen with e.

I'm using the nvidia drivers.

Anyway , thanks for the help. I'll see if the problem crops up again.

Cheers,

EE
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try nvidia-settings to switch the display devices.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: