[SOLVED] Black desktop (no textures) with sddm/KDE5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Black desktop (no textures) with sddm/KDE5 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm running a lot of live ebuilds on one of my systems, to test out the latest git code. This regards mostly Qt5.5.9999, kde-frameworks, kde-plasma, kde-apps, mesa, xf86-video-intel, libdrm, cairo. I'm also using systemd and kdbus. Various issues come up after emerging newer revisions of live packages, but are usually resolved within hours or days. This time however, I hit an issue which not only has not been resolved, but I have been unable to locate any related bug reports in any trackers.

This manifests on both a system with an intel graphics card and on a system with a radeon (r600) graphics card. The radeon system doesn't use live ebuilds for Qt, so I don't think Qt-5.5.9999 is to blame. Neither is xf86-video-*, apparently.

What happens is that sddm, and also the desktop after I login, are black. Some elements are discernible in very dark grey. In sddm, the icons representing the users have gray outlines as well. Hitting Alt-F2 also opens a black rectangle for the app launcher. The widgets work, but everything is black (except for text which is light gray).

I have been digging in the logs for anything suspicious, and the following entry has been coming up roughly since the issue started manifested:

Code:
sddm-greeter[1862]: QSGTextureAtlas: texture atlas allocation failed, code=502

It seems to me that this is the most applicable log entry candidate relating to this issue. Before flooding this thread with log files, does anyone else here have this problem? If yes, is this line present in log files?

And of course, does anyone have any idea which package is causing this issue?

Thanks,
George

Last edited by GD on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
GD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, after 10 days of daily builds, I ran smart-live-rebuild earlier today and the issue's gone... :-)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such is the nature of live packages...
GD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get that a lot...

However, I wasn't looking for advice on how to avoid such situations in general, I was more interested in figuring out where I should file a bug in this particular instance :-D
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't advice, just a comment. ;)

If you also happen to run live mesa, that might have been the problem (see also broken 11.0.2 release bugs)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: