Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GPT Windows 10 / LVM2 + LUKS (upgrade hardware)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: GPT Windows 10 / LVM2 + LUKS (upgrade hardware) Reply with quote

Warning big text wall. I prefer to tell the full requirements / expectations / questions / backgrounds

Hi.

I have a laptop ASUS G70SG, Core2duo, ordinary bios, ordinary mbr partition table, lvm, Nvidia graphics. Already encrypted with lvm => luks => ext4 rootfs

I bought now ASUS G75VW. intel i7 3rd Generation. also Nvidia graphics without optimus. Looks like uefi box.

The issue is:

I want to install windows 10 (never done it) [I downloaded the windows 10 installer iso from microsoft.com. the seller told me he upgraded the license to windows 10. I did not found a license sticker on top. I suspect the license is in the UEFI BIOS Chip]

It uses GPT

I want to reuse my existing installation.

Plans:
Clone existing SSD to 250 GB SATA harddrive.
Than I will swap out the 128GB SSD and replace it with the cloned 250 GB SATA harddrive. (The g70sg, old notebook should work as is, without the speed advantage of the ssd).

I want to install windows 10 on a 1TB harddrive in a 100GB partition if possible. I assume I have to use gpt tables on that too. I do not know how to do that, and which extra partitons are needed. I assume with all the junk partitions windows need (uefi boot partion 300mb, windows reserve bla bla 128MB ....) I will have around 750-800GB left.

Reuse the 128GB SSD. => Create a new kernel which supports i7. I will build a new kernel with the kernel modules which i got from the systemrescue cd with the command lspci -kk (gives a list with kernel module in use)

I suspect a new kernel will boot the box. AFAIK intel cpus are down compatbile. so the core2duo t9500 optimized gentoo should run on my i7 3610 qm.

---

I already updated the bios of the notebook.

I downloaded sysrescuecd from portage and burnt to a disc already.

I cleaned the notebook fans and the connectors on the outside for lan and usb.

I disabled security bla bla so I was able to boot sysrescue-cd (stupid feature so windows can be only booted with that bios parameter)

---

I know I have to read a lot regarding gentoo handbook and gpt.

Questions:

Shall I use gpt? Is this even uefi ? I doubt but who knows. windows uses gpt partition tables as it seems. the bios has some weird options to tell where to boot from like /dev/name of the drive / parameters / parameters ... in my eyes old bios. But as windows uses gpt I should use gpt too, right? and also the bios has weird way to point to the windows boot thing like a file path in the bios. i never saw that before. in the old days there was just which drive to set active and thats it.

Can I reuse grub2.cfg of my existing box?
How do I install grub2 on gpt2 / uefi thing or do I need something else to boot gentoo / windows 10 on uefi
I suspect I can reuse the existing initramfs to unlock my luks / lvm container.
how do I have to set up my partitions now? I doubt uefi thing works with old mbr stuff. Any suggested partition layouts?

This is my current layout. I want to reuse this SSD to safe money. I want to reuse this gentoo installation.

Quote:
fdisk /dev/sda

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.27).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sda: 119,2 GiB, 128035676160 bytes, 250069680 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00037d4b

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 63 1028159 1028097 502M 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 231729152 250068991 18339840 8,8G 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 1032190 231729151 230696962 110G 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1034240 214951935 213917696 102G 8e Linux LVM

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

Command (m for help): q

I do not mind changing the partition layout to gpt.

I think thats linux mint and will be moved to the 1TB HDD in future. ~10GB linux mint backup distribution. just installed to fix gentoo / the box just in case i screw up my box. lets say i can not unencrypt my luks volumes / unbootable box or something else. hardly in use to be honest but I install it on any of my boxes just in case.
/dev/sda2 231729152 250068991 18339840 8,8G 83 Linux

My root fs which is ext4. The ext4 is in a luks volume. The luks volume is in lvm2 volume group which utilizes phyiscal extents of my harddrives. Thats another way to say that it just uses one partition. The /usr/portage/distfiles are on the 1TB drive separated.
/dev/sda5 1034240 214951935 213917696 102G 8e Linux LVM

---

As of now:

I suspect that windows 10 has to be installed first on the 1TB disc. Asus forum claims the windows license is in the uefi chip. I hardly used windows. is 100GB enough to install lets say 1-2 GAmes and maybe CAD Software? No Idea which and where those free to play games are these days in windows. I suspect steam. many are windows only sigh.

Than I have to tweak windows 10 to get 800GB back for linux mint and my data. (i suspect gparted livecd is the way to go again)

I have to figure out how I can clone the lvm containers. It does not matter that these contains luks volumes. I should be able somehow to clone those lvm containers so i can free those drives. (estimated time 2 days SATA 1 + I need to read a lot of documents + understand how the thing works and such)

Than I can start reusing the drives for the new hardware.

I admit i have not read much about GPT Partition tables and other stuff.
Any advise is appreciated. thanks for reading.

New laptop.

First drive bay: 128GB SSD (will be reused)
----
gpt ...
linux gentoo only
no swap!

Second drive bay: 1TB HDD
----
windows 10
10GB linux mint backup distribution.
partition with distfiles (maybe ntfs this time? So i could maybe reuse this partition for windows 10 also ..)
luks container for the user data

----

I admit I lack knowledge regarding windows or windows 10. (My last windows was windows xp and that was 7 years ago)
I lack knowledge regarding on how to set up parallel boot with gpt and uefi.
I think reusing an existing installation is the fastest way. SAme network setup. Both uses nvidia gpus (are covered from teh same drivers). No optimus, it is disabled by asus, so the setup should be identical. Only issues are on the gpt tables and uefi and with windows 10 and the weird partition layouts it needs.

As of now I start to read the documents about lvm again. So I will understand on how to create a snapshot and than to duplicate the partitions to ordinary hdds so I can reuse my 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD (the best hardware drives which i own). I think the plextor PX-128M3 (sata 6gb/s, 128GB) is still high end. the 1tB HDD is also still decent and up to date.

the new laptop has 750SHDD, thats a hdd with 8GB flash drive, which i will probably sell (no idea on how abused it was from the previous owner and i may get a few bucks back)

After that I will start reading on gpt / how to install windows 10 / partition layouts in windows 10 / dual boot several linux with windows 10 / maybe install freebsd .

My installation may differ a bit because I use lvm. the handbook as far as i saw a few minutes ago does not cover lvm2 with gpt. I want to use lvm2 / luks because of the additional encryption and do not worry when the harddrive fails, no issue to dump the drive because the data should be encrypted / lvm allows parttion to be moved / duplicated (when i understood it correctly) ...
lvm2 is essential so i can create backups ... I moved in teh past the installation to the ssd while working on gentoo (year 2012)...

I appreciate any advise / hint / opinion.

Thanks for the support everyone
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/identify-linux-lvm-mirror/

Quote:
he Computer world storage is most important. If data lost then every thing is lost to the organization or company. Initially data is stored in normal disks, it does not have flexibility to manage the data and it is very complicated to disaster recovery management. To achieve flexibility and goal of the disaster recovery management, RAID is introduced. Using RAID, redundancy can maintained but still does not have flexibility to manage filesystem and storage management. Logical Volume Manager provides higher level view of disk storage. Logical Volume Management is traditionally associated with large installation containing many disks and even very use full in small environment.

Logical Volume Manager have many features, like resizing volume groups online by absorbing new physical volumes(PV) or removing existing physical volume. Resize logical volumes (LV) online by adding or removing physical extents to the existing logical volume. Using LVM you can create read-only as well as read-write snapshots of logical volume. IT is possible to Stripe or Mirror whole or parts logical volumes across multiple PVs, like similar to RAID 0 or RAID 1. It is possible to move online logical volumes between PVs. The LVM will also work in a shared-storage cluster.

IT is possible to Stripe or Mirror whole or parts logical volumes across multiple PVs.

As of now I wonder if a mirror of a LVM2 snapshot to a hole new harddisc will be able to boot with duplicated /boot partition and installed grub.

I dislike the idea of many guides to use DD, "disc destruction". e.g. https://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm_snapshots

Sadly there is no real pvcopy command. To copy / dupcliate the phyiscal extent / or the partition. I dislike using DD for that. DD is a very dangerous command when you do not pay attention.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: