--autounmask-write
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: --autounmask-write Reply with quote

Hi,

I am installing new Gentoo system on other laptop, and during installation of xorg-drivers I had a long list of packages to add abi_x86_32 USE flage. On other laptop I usually added all those files manually, by echo,.

This time, I used --autounmask-write
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Accepting_a_keyword_for_a_single_package#Using_--autounmask-write

Is it this ^^ safe

Everything works and looks fine, but instaad a list of package.use I have a new package.use/iputils
Is it OK?
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to review things which would be added, so I create a zzz-portage-changes file in /etc/portage/package.*

So if an update is required to add to package.use, package.unmask, package.keyword, package.license or package.mask then emerge prompts me to add it. I decide what to do ...

I can reject the changes:
at the emerge prompt
when running dispatch-conf
when transferring to my manual config files
That gives me three chances to prevent me trashing my manual config information 8)

I can accept the changes:
at the emerge prompt
run dispatch-conf
run vimdiff and transfer the changes to my manual config files

It's my system so I want control over what gets installed, when and with what use flags etc. Portage will guess what I want to do and what is acceptable ... I know what I want to do and what is acceptable for me - so I make the decisions. Portage gets it right some but not all the time ... ymmv
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: