View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: new system, old home directory, MATE, epiphany and evolution Reply with quote

I just rebuilt my system from stage3 due to some crippling config issues when I was updating, and I find myself not able to install the pre-systemd/pre-gnome3 versions of epiphany and evolution.

Since MATE has renamed a bunch of other things for easier compatibility, I was wondering if anyone knew what they renamed epiphany and evolution to, and if there's an easy config/bookmarks/email accounts migration tool floating around?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epiphany is still Epiphany. Evolution is still Evolution... I don't think they forked either, unlike what they did with the other Gnome applications as these are not "core" applications...

Unfortunately the 2.x versions of these are no longer in portage, then again not sure if they would compile anymore anyway.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNOME 3 versions of epiphany and evolution don't depend on systemd. MATE is also converting to gtk3, no longterm issue there. Not sure how epiphany goes to your liking with its headerbar usage and how it adapts to non-gnome3 environment, but it does seem to save vertical space quite nicely in a GNOME3 environment, as the location bar is integrated in it there.
I don't think evolution is anywhere yet with headerbars or whatnot, just install it. I know plenty of people using evolution even in tiling window managers, MATE should be a cakewalk.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution requires gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.16.2, which I would be very surprised if it didn't need systemd. (Which, incidentally, sums up my problems with gnome3 in a nutshell. Small programs that do one job, and do it well, with a minimum dependency graph are so much better than tying everything together into one big monolithic pileup)

Guess I'm looking for a new email client as well...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:
Evolution requires gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.16.2, which I would be very surprised if it didn't need systemd. (Which, incidentally, sums up my problems with gnome3 in a nutshell. Small programs that do one job, and do it well, with a minimum dependency graph are so much better than tying everything together into one big monolithic pileup)

Guess I'm looking for a new email client as well...

It's mostly the session management that requires systemd. Since you're not installing those core components, there's a chance that it doesn't need systemd.

I tried getting a dependency graph trying to install evolution on my server (that doesn't use systemd) - and didn't seem to see it needed to build systemd. A lot of other stuff wanted to get installed however... then again that's what you need for a fairly elaborate GUI.

(I tried running epiphany-3 on my xfce4 machine, seems to work. However this is a systemd machine and I do have the rest of gnome3 installed... I'm not running gnome3 at the moment because fglrx/ati-drivers pukes all over systemd.)
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, looking on my system, and seeing what portage says for me. systemd wasn't pulled in for either packages (I'm running xfce with systemd hard masked for me, so I would have seen it fail for me).
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what do you know, evolution doesn't need systemd.

I stand very corrected. Apologies.

I do have a *very* aggressive set of systemd/gnome3 masks. I seem to remember MATE needing them at some point, probably when it was an overlay, rather than in the main portage tree.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: